The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kushan

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 26, 2015, 12:28:34 AM
Is the lack of surface to surface capability on US ships something that changed during the cold war? The ships in WW2's Pacific Theatre were pretty capable of returning devastating shots still.
I'd be interested to know more about the why!

Ever since WW2 the US Navy's philosophy has been that the carrier is the primary striking element with everything else there to guard it. But once reliable missiles systems are introduced and renders armor ineffective there's an even less desire to get within range of an opponent.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

mikeck

Quote from: Kushan on October 26, 2015, 02:18:00 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on October 26, 2015, 12:28:34 AM
Is the lack of surface to surface capability on US ships something that changed during the cold war? The ships in WW2's Pacific Theatre were pretty capable of returning devastating shots still.
I'd be interested to know more about the why!

Ever since WW2 the US Navy's philosophy has been that the carrier is the primary striking element with everything else there to guard it. But once reliable missiles systems are introduced and renders armor ineffective there's an even less desire to get within range of an opponent.

I know in the 1980's the U.S. navy ships were equipped with Harpoons (modern for the time) and Tomahawk ASMs for a short time. The latter cancelled and the former never modernized.

And I would add that those carrier aircraft have nothing to strike with (although yes, it was intended to be the primary ASM platform. Harpoons outdated. Luckily, LRASM will be launched from B-1b's and F-18s. Eventually, f-35c
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mirth

The problem is the decision to retire TASMs in the 90s. Now the USN's primary ASM is the Harpoon, which lacks the range, hitting power and flexibility of a Tomahawk.

Of course, now there's a push to bring back an anti-ship version of the Tomahawk

http://news.usni.org/2015/02/10/west-bob-work-calls-navys-anti-surface-tomahawk-test-game-changing
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Kushan

Quote from: mikeck on October 26, 2015, 02:22:56 PM
And I would add that those carrier aircraft have nothing to strike with. Harpoons outdated. Luckily, LRASM will be launched from B-1b's and F-18s
[/quote]

True, I was just talking about general philosophy. LRASM is ok. Shame the LRASM-A (super sonic variant) was cancelled.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat

mikeck

Yeah, good point. I get that LRASM-B is stealthy...but why cancel a supersonic "A" version?
Like I said though, pitiful that the U.S. Navy relies on a torpedoe, iron bombs, a 35 year old missile or 5inch shells to sink ships
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mirth

Quote from: mikeck on October 26, 2015, 02:34:09 PM
Yeah, good point. I get that LRASM-B is stealthy...but why cancel a supersonic "A" version?
Like I said though, pitiful that the U.S. Navy relies on a torpedoe, iron bombs, a 35 year old missile or 5inch shells to sink ships

Pitiful is the word for it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: mikeck on October 26, 2015, 02:34:09 PM

There is some interesting discussion of this over at the Matrix forums, can't find the thread right now...ah, here it is: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3572673&mpage=1&key=LRASM. Basically the gist of the thinking is that supersonic ASM are actually easier to engage vs. a slower stealthy missile because infra-red search and track (IRST) detect the supersonic missiles much further out. I'm not particularly well-versed in such things, but it would go a long way towards explaining why the Navy is putting their money into a slower stealthy version.

Kushan

Streaming Northern Inferno today at 11am PST/18:00 GMT @ twitch.tv/Kushan04

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Kushan on October 31, 2015, 12:49:23 PM
Streaming Northern Inferno today at 11am PST/18:00 GMT @ twitch.tv/Kushan04

I'm watching a bit of this in preparation for the Linux port, and I couldn't help noticing that the map was really jerky when you were panning it or zooming in/out.  Is that the game or because it was on Twitch?

Dimitris

It's an inherent limitation of how the map rendering currently works. We're working on something far smoother.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

Huw the Poo

spelk

Dimitris

OJsDad

Just out of curiosity, where do you guys go to get your information on new weapon systems.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Dimitris