The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanE

My four questions don't come from hate.  They come from wanting to know if I should keep investing my time in the game.  I just want to know.  I have invested a lot of time in the game and have had fun.  But if that door is closing, I'll just move on.  I like to invest my time in games for the long run.  No point in wasting my time if the retail version has the potential to be chipped away at.

btw, I have some experience with game companies having dual customers.  esims has always been a DoD contractor with its Steel Beasts games.  But they are VERY upfront that they are a contractor first and retail company 2nd or 3rd.  I have zero qualms about that because they are very upfront about their priorities and its impact on its retail customers.  It can be frustrating at times, but you go in knowing the score.  I would like you guys to take the same approach.  Tell us up front the impact on retail.

bostonmyk

Quote from: RyanE on February 12, 2017, 10:52:41 AM
1) Is there a chance that more retail features will be removed based on your contractual obligations to pro users
2) Is development priority changing based on your new pro business
3) Is there a chance the replay feature might make it back in
4) Will the pro user business have an impact on retail pricing

Those are a few off the top of my head...

1)I don't think so. We do have some features on deck but we're in process of making decisions of what goes where.
2)No not really. We share the same resource pool but have brought on new full time staff as well. People will be assigned to tasks and teams like any other business.
3)Right now the plan is Pro only however we've seen the input and will discuss.
4)No we depend on our publisher to suggest retail prices. You'd have to go to Marco to discuss how he actually does that. Assume its all market driven.

Thanks!

Mike

Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

RyanE

bostonmyk

Quote from: mirth on February 12, 2017, 10:57:39 AM
Quote from: bostonmyk on February 12, 2017, 10:50:11 AM
I think I've ducked any question that wasn't just a set up to get yelled at Mirth. Sometimes you guys think that people that read your posts can't see the setup. We're all wargamers of course we do :)

If you're serious send us a list of questions and we'll be more than happy to answer what we can.

Thanks!

Mike

I've asked my questions multiple times. What makes you think I'm not serious about asking them? You choosing to ignore them doesn't mean I'm not serious about the questions.

I own the base game and Northern Inferno. Given that you've set the precedent for removing a game feature, under pressure from a Pro Edition client, and indicated that other features were under consideration for removal, I feel my questions are warranted and fair. But hey, continue to ignore them and pretend I'm a hater for asking.

Mirth if you can just send me a quick list. I'll answer.

Thanks!

Mike

RyanE

One big question that ties a lot of the questions together...Is the Pro or Retail a bigger priority right now?...or in the near future?

Jarhead0331

What other features are "on the deck" from being removed from the retail version and ported into the pro edition as an exclusive, and what is ultimately driving the decision to add a feature to the list?

Can NGO customers purchase the pro edition? If so, what is the cost and how is the licensing structured?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

tanqtonic

Quote from: bostonmyk on February 12, 2017, 11:03:45 AM
1) Is there a chance that more retail features will be removed based on your contractual obligations to pro users

1)I don't think so. We do have some features on deck but we're in process of making decisions of what goes where.

Is the second sentence relating to new features of ones in the commercial version?  It is unclear.   

I do not begrudge anyone putting new features where they can get more for it at all. 

But, to be honest, pulling feature OUT to do that is a d-ck move.  Actually Jarhead's post is actually more accurate (being that  I have actually practiced that law specifically for over twenty years....), but notwithstanding the legal issues it is still a middle finger of move to your customer base.

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 12, 2017, 11:09:54 AM
What other features are "on the deck" from being removed from the retail version and ported into the pro edition as an exclusive?

Yep. This is the same question I've asked at least three times already.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bostonmyk

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 12, 2017, 11:09:54 AM
What other features are "on the deck" from being removed from the retail version and ported into the pro edition as an exclusive, and what is ultimately driving the decision to add a feature to the list?

Can NGO customers purchase the pro edition? If so, what is the cost and is the licensing structured?

1. Answered the first one already. I don't see anything obvious today.
2. Pro users and civ users have different features they want that are driven by what they do. Some cross over and some don't. That's how you should divide things and given we didn't start with both businesses on day one we have to do it now. As you well know with your mil law background the military often requires things to be for their version only and some projects are classified as well.
3. NGO can purchase a pro license although its not like Steel Beasts Pro where its approachable to a civ user from a use or cost perspective. You got to have some dollars behind you and show a pro related purpose as well working for allies. Etc.

Let me know if I've missed something or was otherwise unclear?

Thanks!

Mike

bostonmyk

Quote from: RyanE on February 12, 2017, 11:08:06 AM
One big question that ties a lot of the questions together...Is the Pro or Retail a bigger priority right now?...or in the near future?

They have equal priority.

Thanks

Mike

bostonmyk

Quote from: tanqtonic on February 12, 2017, 11:10:23 AM
Quote from: bostonmyk on February 12, 2017, 11:03:45 AM

Is the second sentence relating to new features of ones in the commercial version?  It is unclear.   

I do not begrudge anyone putting new features where they can get more for it at all. 

But, to be honest, pulling feature OUT to do that is a d-ck move.  Actually Jarhead's post is actually more accurate (being that  I have actually practiced that law specifically for over twenty years....), but notwithstanding the legal issues it is still a middle finger of move to your customer base.

Nobody's intent was to be a dick.

Thanks

Mike

mirth

Quote from: bostonmyk on February 12, 2017, 11:21:47 AM
Quote from: RyanE on February 12, 2017, 11:08:06 AM

They have equal priority.

Thanks

Mike

Then why was a feature removed from the retail version to satisfy the demands of a Pro Edition client?

Quote from: Dimitris on February 12, 2017, 10:25:11 AM
What I did say, and I ask you to go back and read it, is that a number of features were candidates on the chopping block and the recorder was the one we ended up with.
FWIW, our initial pick was something else. One of our pro customers flat out told us "you HAVE to reserve this for Pro". If we had listened to him you would have a legitimate complaint because it's a " core" sim mechanic. But we opted for something that has low commercial impact but is in great demand with the pro crowd. In our position you would likely have done the same.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bostonmyk

Quote from: mirth on February 12, 2017, 11:28:13 AM

Then why was a feature removed from the retail version to satisfy the demands of a Pro Edition client?

Answered here

Quote2. Pro users and civ users have different features they want that are driven by what they do. Some cross over and some don't. That's how you should divide things and given we didn't start with both businesses on day one we have to do it now. As you well know with your mil law background the military often requires things to be for their version only and some projects are classified as well.

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Mike

MikeGER

- Question-
Is that decision of retroactive deleting features customers had paid for coordinated with Slitherine Marketing Department and its CEO?
Yes or No

- rant -
Why? you may ask. Because it would be a dam break if that is the new official policy of Slitherine
What's next to happen with all their beer and pretzel games that set a precedent?

"Slitherine Games, You can never be sure an existing feature will get removed from your game you had paid for later with a service patch"  

...i guess that's not the slogan Slitherine want to be seen in the market with its whole franchise in the future and as headline discussed in the gaming mags.

Why? because all Slitherine's developing studios are small too and also want to "re-sell" an existing feature to the same customer if that is made possible somehow
So let's all start downgrading an existing released product with a "service patch" and resell that feature combined in a new DLC or such.       

What's next?.... playing latest Sanctus Reach, and with the next patch the Land Raider is gone (well, because it was so seldom used in the MP matches we monitored anyway, and item never showed up in the bug reports) and has to be re-bought in an upcoming DLC inside of -let's say- Imperial Army DLCs or with a to be launched Gold edition?
you get the idea.   

mirth

Quote from: bostonmyk on February 12, 2017, 11:30:11 AM
Quote from: mirth on February 12, 2017, 11:28:13 AM

Answered here

Quote2. Pro users and civ users have different features they want that are driven by what they do. Some cross over and some don't. That's how you should divide things and given we didn't start with both businesses on day one we have to do it now. As you well know with your mil law background the military often requires things to be for their version only and some projects are classified as well.

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Mike

The quoted statement makes sense, but it doesn't tell me that both have versions have equal priority. We're not talking about deciding which new feature matches which version. If a Pro client demands exclusivity for a feature currently in the retail product, you're inclined to acquiesce.