The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

mikeck

Dimitris,

Your missing the point. We paid money for a product. We got that product. We agreed to pay as much as we did because we recognized the potential of the game. You added features, true...but you came back and removed something we paid for. It's not a zero sum game. You shouldn't come back and take away something that your customers have. Charge more for the next upgrade, but you can't take away what we already have
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Dimitris

Thanks for your feedback. As Mike said, this is under discussion.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

Jarhead0331

Alright everyone...I'm seeing a lot of repeat comments here and Brant is a bee's dick away from locking the thread for awhile. A lot of good comments have been posted by both sides.

Let's all take another breather, regroup, lick wounds, tend to the dead, etc.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

Fair enough, but that comment about Brant's bees dick seems out of line.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

solops

I don't think this is inflammatory, but I'd like to repeat my request from back on page 132 (?). Having not played in a while, which update removed the replay? I have my original installation file and many of the subsequent updates. I can re-install and update as close as possible to the point at which the replay option was removed. I like to watch replays in all games that provide them. The game is a great and improved successor to Harpoon, but I can live without some of the newer fixes if I can have the replays.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: solops on February 12, 2017, 03:23:11 PM
I don't think this is inflammatory, but I'd like to repeat my request from back on page 132 (?). Having not played in a while, which update removed the replay? I have my original installation file and many of the subsequent updates. I can re-install and update as close as possible to the point at which the replay option was removed. I like to watch replays in all games that provide them. The game is a great and improved successor to Harpoon, but I can live without some of the newer fixes if I can have the replays.

Latest beta version

Command v1.11 Service Release 7 - Release Candidate [CURRENT: B906.15] 

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Zulu1966

Quote from: mikeck on February 12, 2017, 02:23:35 PM
Dimitris,

Your missing the point. We paid money for a product. We got that product. We agreed to pay as much as we did because we recognized the potential of the game. You added features, true...but you came back and removed something we paid for. It's not a zero sum game. You shouldn't come back and take away something that your customers have. Charge more for the next upgrade, but you can't take away what we already have

Yes - and I recently bought Sanctus Reach from Matrix - I paid three times as much for Command. I dont feel I have had a lot of stuff "for free" in that context. Thats even before analyzing the list Dimitris is so fond of posting and working out whats fixing the game and whats additional. Half the list is maintenance stuff I would have expected - such as fixing the UI and speeding up the game.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

mikeck

I have to say though, excluding this "hiccup", the game itself is simply amazing. With Steam workshop, there is an endless supply of scenarios. I would pay $150 for it easily. It is also very well supported getting constant updates of the .exe, middle/vehicle data as well as Miguel Molina's new scenarios. Obviously Dimitris checks here and I -at least-didn't want to come off as ungrateful for what they have built here.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Dimitris

Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on February 13, 2017, 12:36:05 AM
I have to say though, excluding this "hiccup", the game itself is simply amazing. With Steam workshop, there is an endless supply of scenarios. I would pay $150 for it easily. It is also very well supported getting constant updates of the .exe, middle/vehicle data as well as Miguel Molina's new scenarios. Obviously Dimitris checks here and I -at least-didn't want to come off as ungrateful for what they have built here.

Yes...and...no.

They built an exceptional product. Absolutely.
They have supported it extremely well after release. Unquestionably.
They have been responsive to user feedback. Definitely.

But I hesitate to use terms like "thankful" and "grateful". They are in a business. Their business is to sell a product. We are consumers. We buy products. This product was developed and distributed for sale, and we paid a premium for it. They created something we enjoy, that we have praised, and that we would pay more for continued expansion and support. However, make no mistake, they should be "grateful" and "thankful" too. Respect in retail is a two way street. When a developer stops respecting their customers, they start removing things from their products, and they start creating flow charts to rub it all in your face.

That's where we all come in. We post our thoughts, opinions, and feelings here publicly so that developers and their customers can speak to each other openly about the product so that ultimately we can come to the mutual conclusion that we support and need each other.

I hope we've accomplished that.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Hartford688

Quote from: bostonmyk on February 12, 2017, 11:43:08 AM
Quote from: MikeGER on February 12, 2017, 11:31:07 AM
- Question-
Is that decision of retroactive deleting features customers had paid for coordinated with Slitherine Marketing Department and its CEO?
Yes or No

Yes. The team has also sat through 2 meetings where they've told us we give too much away. I'd love to drop one of you guys in our spot for one of these meetings btw. You'd immediately have a new perspective on what its like to be a developer etc

Have to say, from the outside, Slitherine/Matrix talking of "giving too much away" feels slightly surreal given their frequently ludicrously high pricing.

Putting aside CMANO, given that this current kerfuffle aside it is a heavily supported product that goes a long way to justify the premium price tag -  I cannot say I am particularly conscious of Matrix giving stuff away.

They are prime offenders (albeit up to now improving ones) in the article below:

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/19/the-flare-path-slash-or-spurn/amp/?client=safari

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 13, 2017, 01:39:06 AM
Quote from: mikeck on February 13, 2017, 12:36:05 AM

Yes...and...no.

They built an exceptional product. Absolutely.
They have supported it extremely well after release. Unquestionably.
They have been responsive to user feedback. Definitely.

But I hesitate to use terms like "thankful" and "grateful". They are in a business. Their business is to sell a product. We are consumers. We buy products. This product was developed and distributed for sale, and we paid a premium for it. They created something we enjoy, that we have praised, and that we would pay more for continued expansion and support. However, make no mistake, they should be "grateful" and "thankful" too. Respect in retail is a two way street. When a developer stops respecting their customers, they start removing things from their products, and they start creating flow charts to rub it all in your face.

That's where we all come in. We post our thoughts, opinions, and feelings here publicly so that developers and their customers can speak to each other openly about the product so that ultimately we can come to the mutual conclusion that we support and need each other.

I hope we've accomplished that.

I understand.  But although I pay for the product,  I say I'm am grateful to developers because they endeavor to create games that don't necessarily appeal to a wider market. I think it's probably actually more difficult to create such detailed and precise games than some fancy shooter with great graphics on Xbox.

Jarhead0331

^well, yes. I'm "grateful" that there are developers who still make high fidelity military simulations. But I don't take it for granted that they are only making those products because there are people like us who will buy them.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog