The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

Quote from: Hartford688 on February 13, 2017, 05:51:53 AM
....I cannot say I am particularly conscious of Matrix giving stuff away....

What drew me to Matrix Games all those years ago was their free offer of Pacific War. According to Matrix, it is still free along with The War Engine, Titans of Steel, Steel Panthers: World at War, and War in Russia.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Hartford688

Quote from: Greybriar on February 13, 2017, 08:02:46 AM
Quote from: Hartford688 on February 13, 2017, 05:51:53 AM
....I cannot say I am particularly conscious of Matrix giving stuff away....

What drew me to Matrix Games all those years ago was their free offer of Pacific War. According to Matrix, it is still free along with The War Engine, Titans of Steel, Steel Panthers: World at War, and War in Russia.

Very true and fair comment. Carriers at War at €40 still makes my eyes water, and World in Flames...

bostonmyk

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 13, 2017, 07:52:55 AM
^well, yes. I'm "grateful" that there are developers who still make high fidelity military simulations. But I don't take it for granted that they are only making those products because there are people like us who will buy them.

Or people almost like you :D

Mike
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

bostonmyk

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 13, 2017, 01:39:06 AM
Quote from: mikeck on February 13, 2017, 12:36:05 AM
I have to say though, excluding this "hiccup", the game itself is simply amazing. With Steam workshop, there is an endless supply of scenarios. I would pay $150 for it easily. It is also very well supported getting constant updates of the .exe, middle/vehicle data as well as Miguel Molina's new scenarios. Obviously Dimitris checks here and I -at least-didn't want to come off as ungrateful for what they have built here.

Yes...and...no.

They built an exceptional product. Absolutely.
They have supported it extremely well after release. Unquestionably.
They have been responsive to user feedback. Definitely.

But I hesitate to use terms like "thankful" and "grateful". They are in a business. Their business is to sell a product. We are consumers. We buy products. This product was developed and distributed for sale, and we paid a premium for it. They created something we enjoy, that we have praised, and that we would pay more for continued expansion and support. However, make no mistake, they should be "grateful" and "thankful" too. Respect in retail is a two way street. When a developer stops respecting their customers, they start removing things from their products, and they start creating flow charts to rub it all in your face.

That's where we all come in. We post our thoughts, opinions, and feelings here publicly so that developers and their customers can speak to each other openly about the product so that ultimately we can come to the mutual conclusion that we support and need each other.

I hope we've accomplished that.

The only thing you've shown me is you specifically want to be a lot more important in this business then you are. You bully people around on the forum for this reason. This is not altruism on your part slick.

Mike

bostonmyk

Hi Guys

Orders came down from Epsom that nobody should post anymore. He's not the king but maybe he has a point.

Thanks for your continued support and hope you enjoy our game!

Thanks

Mike

RyanE

OK, not sure where that is coming from.  Jarhead is a great contributor here and at the same time helps calm things down.  I am not sure why you think he is trying to act self-important.  He has an opinion and expressed it without any commercial bias.

This is a forum where opinions are welcome and personal attacks are frowned upon.  It is one of the last venues where wargamers can express opinions about games and call out companies for doing things that are stupid.

What I see here, in general, is company employees used to having some control on their own forums not knowing how to respond to criticism they can't shout down.  We see it play out over and over here.

Before calling someone a bully, I would take a very hard look at your responses to customers on the Matrix forum.  Looking at how things are going, I am expecting the next angle is somehow associate the "haters" here with Mr. Hum.

RyanE

Quote from: bostonmyk on February 13, 2017, 09:09:34 AM
Hi Guys

Orders came down from Epsom that nobody should post anymore. He's not the king but maybe he has a point.

Thanks for your continued support and hope you enjoy our game!

Thanks

Mike

He says after posting...

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 13, 2017, 07:52:55 AMbecause there are people like us

There's no "people" like you!

There's only one you!

:hug:
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Stardog765

"The only thing you've shown me is you specifically want to be a lot more important in this business then you are." Mike

Wow!  That is a developers stance on the importance of the customer to their business?  That's pretty amazing and says alot about the problem.

mirth

Quote from: bostonmyk on February 13, 2017, 09:04:55 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 13, 2017, 01:39:06 AM
Quote from: mikeck on February 13, 2017, 12:36:05 AM
I have to say though, excluding this "hiccup", the game itself is simply amazing. With Steam workshop, there is an endless supply of scenarios. I would pay $150 for it easily. It is also very well supported getting constant updates of the .exe, middle/vehicle data as well as Miguel Molina's new scenarios. Obviously Dimitris checks here and I -at least-didn't want to come off as ungrateful for what they have built here.

Yes...and...no.

They built an exceptional product. Absolutely.
They have supported it extremely well after release. Unquestionably.
They have been responsive to user feedback. Definitely.

But I hesitate to use terms like "thankful" and "grateful". They are in a business. Their business is to sell a product. We are consumers. We buy products. This product was developed and distributed for sale, and we paid a premium for it. They created something we enjoy, that we have praised, and that we would pay more for continued expansion and support. However, make no mistake, they should be "grateful" and "thankful" too. Respect in retail is a two way street. When a developer stops respecting their customers, they start removing things from their products, and they start creating flow charts to rub it all in your face.

That's where we all come in. We post our thoughts, opinions, and feelings here publicly so that developers and their customers can speak to each other openly about the product so that ultimately we can come to the mutual conclusion that we support and need each other.

I hope we've accomplished that.

The only thing you've shown me is you specifically want to be a lot more important in this business then you are. You bully people around on the forum for this reason. This is not altruism on your part slick.

Mike

WTF?! Have you lost your mind, Mike? I am 100% done with your company. Not a single penny, not a single bit of praise from me going forward. If your business model has become driving off existing customers of the retail product, bravo.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: RyanE on February 13, 2017, 09:13:36 AM
Before calling someone a bully, I would take a very hard look at your responses to customers on the Matrix forum.  Looking at how things are going, I am expecting the next angle is somehow associate the "haters" here with Mr. Hum.

At this point, Herman seems less antagonistic than Dimitris and Mike. Might be time to dust off Harpoon and the Players Database.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bostonmyk

OK, not sure where that is coming from.  Jarhead is a great contributor here and at the same time helps calm things down.  I am not sure why you think he is trying to act self-important.  He has an opinion and expressed it without any commercial bias.

This is a forum where opinions are welcome and personal attacks are frowned upon.  It is one of the last venues where wargamers can express opinions about games and call out companies for doing things that are stupid.

What I see here, in general, is company employees used to having some control on their own forums not knowing how to respond to criticism they can't shout down.  We see it play out over and over here.

I like how only you're allowed to have opinions and voice them and not developers.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bostonmyk on February 13, 2017, 09:44:41 AM

I like how only you're allowed to have opinions and voice them and not developers.

Well, Mike, you certainly won't be voicing anything here anytime soon. Dimitris can be your mouthpiece for now.

EDITED to add a pointless "thanks!"
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

Quote from: bostonmyk on February 13, 2017, 09:44:41 AM

So much for taking a break from posting  ::)

Have you been attacked personally here, Mike? Have you been called a hater or a  bully? No? Well let me help, you're a dick.

These forums suit your purpose when it's all praise and love for your game, but the minute your customs question a decision you made, you go on the attack. You've shown plenty here over the past 48 hours. Very little of it a favorable reflection on you or your company.

Jarhead0331

^I have no idea how this guy is going to handle dealing with DoD, Navy and government employees. If the company is wise, it will keep him far, far away from anything having to do with customer interaction.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18