Alien: Covenant

Started by mirth, November 24, 2016, 09:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

I've never thought the characters in any Alien movie were all that well developed. Sure, they gave Ripley some development and a little backstory in Aliens, but that's about it.

These aren't films that need rich characters. Basically they need characters who can die in interesting, blood-soaked ways.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

^Read that yesterday and agree.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 18, 2017, 09:19:10 AM
We don't want the Aliens to be well-developed-- we want them to kill things. I don't really care who they vote for or what's their favorite football team. I don't love them because they're 'sensitive'. I love them because they kill people who are 'sensitive'.
lol  :notworthy:
Alba gu' brath

Gusington

Opening day here in 'Murica. I should drive to Maine to pick up mirth for a date night.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on May 19, 2017, 08:28:14 AM
Opening day here in 'Murica. I should drive to Maine to pick up mirth for a date night.

You'd better put out.

Gusington

Funny I was going to tell you the same thing, slut.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on May 19, 2017, 09:03:11 AM
Funny I was going to tell you the same thing, slut.

Buy me a large popcorn and I'm yours.

Sir Slash

better check to make sure that's butter on it.  :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MikeGER

back from the movie, just saw it together with two old buddies :)
I liked it, i felt entertained.  O0

its better then Prometheus and closer to the well known and expected Alien formula.
It does not reach the excels of Aliens and Alien so.

best enjoy it as when you go to see a new James Bond movie you get James Bond franchise with the typical things and elements what makes a James Bond movie a good James Bond movie... and same here with the Alien franchise.
the quality comes with chosen director Ridley Scott and the funds they gave him to do the project and its art design in a satisfactory way.
The female protagonist is tough (or gets and has to over time) but does not have that brittle charm of Ripley or the hard boiled coolness of Vasquez 
(she has the charm of a vegan bitch loosing it and start fighting with another vegan bitch over the last broccoli when in NYC a deli close, its hard to describe...) 

I don't want give away any spoilers so i cant write more detailed about the story, the twists, and such

I feel not sorry for the 16.8 Euro i had spend including the popcorn bowl  :)   

Gusington

It's not butter, it never is.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

That's great to hear Mike. I'm looking forward to seeing it tomorrow with the wife. It's been a long time since a movie really scared the shit out of me, maybe this one will finally hit that mark.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MikeGER

Sir Slash , you will have a nice eve and will be entertained ,
don't expect to be all to scared or leaving the theater in traumatic terror. its more leaning to SiFi in the Alien universe then sheer horror and claustrophobia and we all know the franchise to good by now ... if we see an egg open we will not be surprised to get a facehugger, aren't we

also i personally felt not much connected to the (human) characters , imagine a Star Trek landing party wich has only redshirts and no Kirk Spock McCoy , and few redshirts develop into makeshift Kirks Spock McCoy because they have to  by surviving.

The movie has some stimuli for deeper thoughts too  and the psychological horror that sneaks from the movie into the real life for me is thinking about our near (dystopian) future with Android/Replicants coworkers n'such  :o   

Go Figure, the original Bladerunner dystopia with replicants for example plays in the year 2019  :o
we are getting closer not to Bladerunner or Alien or Skynet   
...we get our very own different dystopia world version which has elements of several different SiFi / cyberpunk visionaries from the 80ties in its mix

bob48

I want to see this now based on your comments. Thanks, Mike  :bd:
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: MikeGER on May 20, 2017, 02:18:17 AM
don't expect to be all to scared or leaving the theater in traumatic terror...then sheer horror and claustrophobia...
I was scared shitless. But then I am a fanny  >:D

It was very creepy - imo much more akin to Alien than Aliens. I was freaked out (and very entertained) by it.
Alba gu' brath