The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

I suspect that my hardcore Rome 2 sleepless nights will be over a month later, when this comes out.  The conflict probably coincides more closely with Dominion 4's release. 

No matter.  I will buy Command fairly quickly after it's release.  A must-have!  8)

mikeck

Yeah, this and dominions 4 at the same time. ACW 2 coming soon as well! What's a girl to do?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Bismarck

Quote from: mikeck on August 31, 2013, 07:03:59 PM
Yeah, this and dominions 4 at the same time. ACW 2 coming soon as well! What's a girl to do?

Close your eyes and think of England.
Jim Cobb

Dimitris

We've had heaps of praise from our beta testers but this one really stands out, partially because it's by an ex-USN officer:

QuoteBut I can tell you, serving as a beta tester, that this is the most accurate and flexible commercial simulation of air/naval modern warfare bar none - there is no comparison with any existing sims. I am amazed at its scope, from counter-terrorism operations all the way up to global thermonuclear warfare simulated with realism and painstaking attention to detail. Conflicts from the Korean War to modern issues such as the Senkakus, South China Sea, Strait of Hormuz, and Syria are all simulated or can be simulated with the tools provided. I was able to whip up simple scenarios with the editor quickly and easily -this game is a superb sandbox game as well.

As a beta tester, the one thing I can tell you is that the COMMAND Team is truly relentless in their work to make this the premier naval simulation - they are always responding to feedback and updating the game. It's the COMMAND team that has convinced me more than anything else that this game will be here to stay - they are the most responsive team I've seen.

The effort and attention to detail that has gone into this system are very impressive. As a retired naval officer, I can say that you will not find more detailed and realistic simulation modelling, at least in the public domain - I have looked long and hard and this game has no peers. I want the game to be a great success, not just because the team richly deserves it but because I want it to thrive so we can continue to play simulations that challenge our intelligence and decision-making skills into the future. This game is a downloadable Naval War College, and should be a must be for any amateur or professional student of modern naval or joint warfare - or any taxpaying citizen who wants to understand what he is paying for, for that matter.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3397540#
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

JudgeDredd

Did I read somewhere it had a Falklands scenario? If so I'm in.

I know you said before when I asked that it could be created - but I'm not a creator - I'm a player. So if it's in then so am I.

I know it's only a wee conflict, but for me, from a campaign perspective, it's a very important and interesting modern conflict. It was so close to the wire to be surreal - and I want to recreate it.
Alba gu' brath

Dimitris

There are currently 3 Falklands-centric scenarios included in v1 (two historical and one modern hypothetical) and more are under construction/testing by 3rd-party authors.

Of the latter, one that I am particularly waiting for recreates the "pincer" situation just before the Belgrano was sunk and the Arg Navy withdrew. So you can have a go and see what could have happened if the Belgrano survived, or the Arg leadership didn't lose their nerve after its loss and instead pressed on. The De Mayo carrier was just about to launch A-4 strikes against the Brit HVUs so lots of possibilities to explore.

JudgeDredd

Excellent.

Well that's £25 put aside....you did say it would cost £25 didn't you?  ;D
Alba gu' brath

SgtRock

I still think it needs Ship & Plane icons vs just the Nato icons, something like Harpoon 1/ Harpoon classic that shows the direction ships & planes are headed.

What are the major differences between this and Harpoon?

Dimitris

As with Harpoon, the icons are fixed in orientation and you get separate vectors to denote heading. The only game I can remember where the icons are aligned to the unit heading is HPS's Modern Air Power duet.

In any case the icons are stored as individual graphics files so whatever you don't like, you can change. Guys have already come up with custom icon packs  ;D

Dimitris

Quote from: SgtRock on September 13, 2013, 12:26:33 PM
What are the major differences between this and Harpoon?

We've been publishing an extensive list of articles highlighting various aspects of Command here: http://www.warfaresims.com/?cat=126

...and we'll soon have a series of articles summarizing Command's high points and how it redefines the genre. Stay tuned!

Bismarck

Not good enough. Beck the calendar; It's 2013; NATO counters without at least direction pointers aren't good enough. I ay this as someone who isn't an  eye-candy addict.   
Jim Cobb

Toonces

The icons do have direction lines.  Based on the screenshots I've seen, the display looks almost identical to the Tactical Action Officer display on a modern warship.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mikeck

Good enough for me...I've been waiting for an updated harpoon with depth (no naval war artic circus) for a decade and a half. I cannot wait for this. Going right for the good ol' Cold War gone hot scenarios.

Is there a "china v US over Taiwan " scenario?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Bismarck

Quote from: mikeck on September 13, 2013, 05:26:24 PM
Good enough for me...I've been waiting for an updated harpoon with depth (no naval war artic circus) for a decade and a half. I cannot wait for this. Going right for the good ol' Cold War gone hot scenarios.

Is there a "china v US over Taiwan " scenario?

I hope you're right.
Jim Cobb

Nefaro

Quote from: Bismarck on September 13, 2013, 05:07:34 PM
Not good enough. Beck the calendar; It's 2013; NATO counters without at least direction pointers aren't good enough. I ay this as someone who isn't an  eye-candy addict.

They have vector lines.  It's the standard NTDS symbology of grog choice.  ;)