The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

I like it all...just depends on the scenario. I always wanted to get into harpoon but it fought me the whole way
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

panzerde

Quote from: mikeck on September 15, 2013, 07:52:15 PM
I like it all...just depends on the scenario. I always wanted to get into harpoon but it fought me the whole way

I just tried to play some Harpoon ANW tonight, but the game is so broken I can't make it work.  It's time for it to die and make way for its successor.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mikeck

I think this game will be far better than harpoon. Not just graphics and UI, but general presentation, AI, Etc. these guys have put a lot of work into this and it's been in beta for a year. Not due to big issues, but to fix every little issue and discrepancy.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

son_of_montfort

Dimitirs, how extensive would you say the training scenarios are? Will it give a total newb who never played Harpoon the tool needed to at least understand what is going on?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

agathosdaimon

I really like the harpoon games and command will no doubt be better, but as i am not a pro with harpoon what is it that one has found to be broken in that game? Actual buttons or ai? I wonder if things i had difficulty with was due to broken things? Sometimes radars did not seem to appear as active. I think though what i really disliked with harpoon was the mission editing functions - creating missiions seemed so nightmarishly difficult and sometimes the actual mission creation window would appear with the bottom part cut off and so i could close out of it. I expect that it will be much more intuitive in command

CptHowdy

Quote from: agathosdaimon on September 15, 2013, 10:23:19 PM
I really like the harpoon games and command will no doubt be better, but as i am not a pro with harpoon what is it that one has found to be broken in that game? Actual buttons or ai? I wonder if things i had difficulty with was due to broken things? Sometimes radars did not seem to appear as active. I think though what i really disliked with harpoon was the mission editing functions - creating missiions seemed so nightmarishly difficult and sometimes the actual mission creation window would appear with the bottom part cut off and so i could close out of it. I expect that it will be much more intuitive in command

from the faq page at harplonkhq.com

FAQ: Why is this game so buggy?

A: The situation is quite baffling since a comprehensive and exhaustive List of Known ANW Issues http://www.harplonkhq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=47#p47 has been publicly available for years.

After 3.7.0 release: 80 Issues reported
After 3.8.0 Patch: (080 Issues - 34 Fixed + 088 New) = 134 Issues
After 3.9.0 Patch: (134 Issues - 31 Fixed + 068 New) = 171 Issues
After 3.9.2 Patch: (171 Issues - 15 Fixed + 035 New) = 191 Issues
After 3.9.3 Patch: (191 Issues - 19 Fixed + 015 New) = 187 Issues
After 3.9.4 Patch: (187 Issues - 46 Fixed + 068 New) = 209 Issues
After 3.10. Patch: (209 Issues - 82 Fixed + 102 New) = 229 Issues
After 3.11. Patch: (229 Issues - 09 Fixed + 014 New) = 234 Issues

Nefaro

Quote from: son_of_montfort on September 15, 2013, 09:16:30 PM
Dimitirs, how extensive would you say the training scenarios are? Will it give a total newb who never played Harpoon the tool needed to at least understand what is going on?

I can't speak for any tutorial scenarios the game may have, but there are enough old hands around here, you wouldn't hurt for advice.  I'm sure the Matrix forum will have loads of Q&A too. 

If I were to guess, I would say the largest thing to learn is the categories of weapons and sensor systems.  Specifically, how they work and what types of platforms they work on.  Most of them have a specific use, and platforms generally have a few different types, for use against different types of (potential) targets.  Think of it like a toolbox of specialized equipment.   Only some of them will be meant to detect and/or engage any one type of target (aircraft, submarine, etc.), sometimes multiple ones. 

Considering the database looks quite extensive and packed full of info, I would think it easier for new people to know exactly what their "tools" are meant for, and capable of, due to the descriptions and stats.  The old Harpoon games just mainly had a few game stats and a very general description so they were left to deduce what everything did from the stat numbers.  Which isn't an easy way to learn.

Dimitris

It's tricky to guarantee everyone will "get it" the first time, but so far our feedback from the beta folks has been quite positive in their value. As Nefaro mentioned, a lot of first-timer support is in the form of interaction with more seasoned players.

We are also preparing some tutorial videos for scenario editing. Command has been called "the ultimate sandbox game" by some of our testers and we want to reinforce this good impression.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

jomni

Quote from: panzerde on September 15, 2013, 09:00:08 PM
Quote from: mikeck on September 15, 2013, 07:52:15 PM

I just tried to play some Harpoon ANW tonight, but the game is so broken I can't make it work.  It's time for it to die and make way for its successor.

Harpoon Classic is way better than ANW

jomni

Quote from: Dimitris on September 16, 2013, 02:56:58 AM

It's tricky to guarantee everyone will "get it" the first time, but so far our feedback from the beta folks has been quite positive in their value. As Nefaro mentioned, a lot of first-timer support is in the form of interaction with more seasoned players.

We are also preparing some tutorial videos for scenario editing. Command has been called "the ultimate sandbox game" by some of our testers and we want to reinforce this good impression.

I'm actually scared when someone says sandbox.  That means a big library of content and an editor. But very little pre-made and wonderful missions.   I'm not very creative and meticulous regarding mission creation so I will depend on community contributions. Hope that takes off.

Dimitris

On release day, Command will include 38 scenarios (3 of them tutorials). In addition there are a number of 3rd-party scenarios already done which will also be available for download, and lots more are currently under construction/testing.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

agathosdaimon

yeah i will be one for the pre-made scenarios too - one's made by people who know a little about force compositions. For a game of such consummate depth and execution it would be a disappointment to just fall on making my own missions which would probably just be a demolition derby of ships and aircraft. Playing something that is unknown has a zillion times more tension and enjoyment in it. This said  38 scenarios plus more 3rd party ones is pretty good. Eventually having the magnitude of scenarios that harpoon has will probably be inevitable.

jomni

Quote from: Dimitris on September 16, 2013, 04:28:52 AM
On release day, Command will include 38 scenarios (3 of them tutorials). In addition there are a number of 3rd-party scenarios already done which will also be available for download, and lots more are currently under construction/testing.

Good enough for me.  ;D

Jarhead0331

There are a lot of comments I would like to add to the discussion, but I'm not sure where things stand with the beta NDA... :-X
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Staggerwing

Does the NDA preclude you from telling us if the game is a day-1 buy or not?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys