The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 16, 2013, 06:46:59 AM
Does the NDA preclude you from telling us if the game is a day-1 buy or not?

I got that impression from some of the betas, despite them not actually saying much. 

Another good point to make is that these guys took a poll whether to release the game earlier (a year or two ago??) or take their time and work on it longer.  The fans voted for working on it longer.  That bodes well, in itself, when a development team even has the option to do such a thing.

agathosdaimon

it will pay off, some thing that perhaps the Rome Total War 2 team should have done by the looks of it were they not so seemingly giddy with their visions of such success for the game. The forums at he warfare sims page have shown developers of Command to be just consistently focussed and taking the slow and steady path is one for longevity and something to be proud of.

undercovergeek

Quote from: agathosdaimon on September 16, 2013, 08:54:21 AM
it will pay off, some thing that perhaps the Rome Total War 2 team should have done by the looks of it were they not so seemingly giddy with their visions of such success for the game. The forums at he warfare sims page have shown developers of Command to be just consistently focussed and taking the slow and steady path is one for longevity and something to be proud of.

Wholeheartedly agree but I suspect the command team dont have a shit ton of marketing execs making them rush nor a mass of share holders to suck up to..... even if there was someone who took the plunge and said rome 2 isnt ready I would imagine hed be disappeared by the sega police

MengJiao

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 16, 2013, 09:32:07 AM

Wholeheartedly agree but I suspect the command team dont have a shit ton of marketing execs making them rush nor a mass of share holders to suck up to..... even if there was someone who took the plunge and said rome 2 isnt ready I would imagine hed be disappeared by the sega police

Plus the audiences for RomeII and Byzantium 1908...I mean Command (worst name ever!) are very different.  RomeII has a sort of superniche audience and it falls between Civ5 and CKII in terms of what it is trying to do.  I think RomeII's strategy of a messy release followed by insane ranting followed by endless patches, DLC and Mods is brilliant.  Command has an even crankier (if tiny) audience and does in fact plan to have some major changes (eg Multiplayer maybe) so did they have a choice?  In an ideal gaming world there would be something out there between Command and Rome II -- yes BYZANTIUM 1908 -- which would be released in a totally modular fashion, each one of which would provoke a CLOD-level perfect storm of horror rants, followed by endless Zombie mods etc. etc.  After 6-8 years Byzantium 1908 would be the most fantastic game of all time, though of course Byz-Z (the Zombie mod) would be the most popular.  There would be an ultra-realist mod where you go and get lectured to by professional creeps -- hey they are creeeps even in their real lives!

Oh well.

Bismarck

Jim Cobb

Kushan

Like JH, really wish I could comment.  ::)

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 16, 2013, 09:32:07 AM

I remember when SEGA took over CA from Activision and they were seen as the "saving grace" for the TW series. Seems a lot has changed in the last few years.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

panzerde

Quote from: agathosdaimon on September 15, 2013, 10:23:19 PM
I really like the harpoon games and command will no doubt be better, but as i am not a pro with harpoon what is it that one has found to be broken in that game? Actual buttons or ai? I wonder if things i had difficulty with was due to broken things? Sometimes radars did not seem to appear as active. I think though what i really disliked with harpoon was the mission editing functions - creating missiions seemed so nightmarishly difficult and sometimes the actual mission creation window would appear with the bottom part cut off and so i could close out of it. I expect that it will be much more intuitive in command

Good post from Cpt Howdy, but yes to pretty much all of the above, in addition to the game nearly always just locking up on me at some point.  Nothing like being part way through a long scenario and having to force quit and lose everything.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Dimitris on September 16, 2013, 02:56:58 AM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on September 15, 2013, 09:16:30 PM
Dimitirs, how extensive would you say the training scenarios are? Will it give a total newb who never played Harpoon the tool needed to at least understand what is going on?

It's tricky to guarantee everyone will "get it" the first time, but so far our feedback from the beta folks has been quite positive in their value. As Nefaro mentioned, a lot of first-timer support is in the form of interaction with more seasoned players.

We are also preparing some tutorial videos for scenario editing. Command has been called "the ultimate sandbox game" by some of our testers and we want to reinforce this good impression.

The personal attention to forum questions and the obvious commitment to easing new players into the game really speaks volumes for you and your group Dimitris! I'm fairly confident this one is on my buy list.

Hey Nefaro, care to give me your phone #, so I can call you at 3:00am with questions about which AIM to load or what the technical differences are between the F-15 and F16?  ;) Actually, I have been trying to ease into Hornet Leader and I see that as a good entry point for thinking about these weapons and platforms.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Bismarck

SoM,

I see what you and everybody else is saying but beware of building expectation as  we did with Naval War Attic.
Jim Cobb

Herman Hum

Quote from: panzerde on September 15, 2013, 09:00:08 PM
Quote from: mikeck on September 15, 2013, 07:52:15 PM
I like it all...just depends on the scenario. I always wanted to get into harpoon but it fought me the whole way

I just tried to play some Harpoon ANW tonight, but the game is so broken I can't make it work.
I only use ANW for MP battles or when there is no other choice.  I am curious as to which things you feel make it so broken that you cannot make it work.  Can you clarify?
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Bismarck

Herman.

.Fess up!  Which Harpoon do you play the most?
Jim Cobb

Staggerwing

I hope it's the one with the guy without sunglasses.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Bismarck on September 16, 2013, 07:32:38 PM
SoM,

I see what you and everybody else is saying but beware of building expectation as  we did with Naval War Attic.

I see what you did there - Naval War Attic, because we shelved it immediately! 

8) <--- Harpoon smilie.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Nefaro

Quote from: son_of_montfort on September 16, 2013, 07:04:17 PM

Hey Nefaro, care to give me your phone #, so I can call you at 3:00am with questions about which AIM to load or what the technical differences are between the F-15 and F16?  ;) Actually, I have been trying to ease into Hornet Leader and I see that as a good entry point for thinking about these weapons and platforms.

Sure. 

I would probably be awake at that time of morning.  Consoling your wife.  :P

Perhaps you should also learn some modern anti-submarine warfare in Dangerous Waters while we wait?  Or take USS Stark out for a leisurely cruise in the Gulf?  High-tech style!

Herman Hum

Quote from: Bismarck on September 16, 2013, 08:34:08 PM
.Fess up!  Which Harpoon do you play the most?
I cannot tell a lie.  I have played all the H3 scenarios and I usually do not re-play any scenario.  Therefore, most of my recent games are only those involving MP battles.  Thus, I am forced to use the only version that allows MP fights and that is ANW.  :(

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 16, 2013, 08:37:09 PM
I hope it's the one with the guy without sunglasses.
It is.  :)
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions