The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzerde

Quote from: Herman Hum on September 16, 2013, 07:44:57 PM
I only use ANW for MP battles or when there is no other choice.  I am curious as to which things you feel make it so broken that you cannot make it work.  Can you clarify?

I should probably try 3.63 and abandon ANW.  I'm finding that things like sensor settings often don't "stick" but the most frustrating is the game seemingly just locking up on me.  This seems to be a new development since the last patch; it used to be fine.  I'd try and fix it, but I'm tired of trying to sort out Harpoon problems (it seems like there's always something wrong with ANW) and why bother?  Command will be out soon.

I was jonsing so hard last night for a modern naval warfare sim I actually reloaded Naval War: Arctic Circle and played a scenario.  It sucked.  Maybe I can tolerate the 4:3 screen ratio of Fleet Command for a few days...
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Nefaro

Harpoon 3.6.3 had it's own problems, but it sounds as if ANW's updates just added further issues. 

I don't think Harpoon 3 was ever in a great condition.  It always had some annoying bugs.  While H3 was more detailed than Harpoon Classic, it also had a lot more problems (including UI issues), so I usually ended up playing HC more often. 

Now that Command is coming out, hopefully I won't have to worry about dicking with either of them anymore, nor the regular re-releases every few years.

Herman Hum

Quote from: panzerde on September 17, 2013, 07:18:14 PM
I should probably try 3.63 and abandon ANW.  I'm finding that things like sensor settings often don't "stick" but the most frustrating is the game seemingly just locking up on me.  This seems to be a new development since the last patch; it used to be fine.  I'd try and fix it, but I'm tired of trying to sort out Harpoon problems (it seems like there's always something wrong with ANW) and why bother?  Command will be out soon.
Many of the problems found in ANW and HUE are not found in H3.  This is one example of a Jamming turning itself OFF:

QuoteECM turns itself off in MP
http://tinyurl.com/behg8a

Prowlers on Plotted mission with active ECM will turn itself off in MP when plotted path is reached (Originally reported by Jeronimo Chiecchio)

And one that refuses to turn ON:

QuoteASuW mission never goes ECM active
http://tinyurl.com/23puufl

ASuW mission never goes ECM active even though Mission Editor clearly shows that ECM is supposed to be active

I have tried HUD scenarios that lock up so solidly when I tried to fire weapons that I had to shutdown from the Task Manager.  I haven't seen such problems when using the PlayersDB and have not heard of any reported.  Stick with the H3 and I think many of the ANW/HUE frustrations can be avoided.

Quote from: Nefaro on September 17, 2013, 07:25:05 PM
Harpoon 3.6.3 had it's own problems, but it sounds as if ANW's updates just added further issues. 

I don't think Harpoon 3 was ever in a great condition.  It always had some annoying bugs.  While H3 was more detailed than Harpoon Classic, it also had a lot more problems (including UI issues), so I usually ended up playing HC more often. 

This is very true.  H3 has it's own problems, some of which are huge.  However, most seemed at least tolerable (when compared to ANW) or had work-around solutions.  I agree that every subsequent ANW release seemed only to add to the number of problems.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Herman Hum

I was jonsing so hard last night for a modern naval warfare sim I actually reloaded Naval War: Arctic Circle and played a scenario.  It sucked.
I've got both ANW and NWAC.  If you are in the mood for an MP battle, give me a shout.  I'd be happy to oblige you with either game.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

Dimitris

Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

undercovergeek

Dimitris

Yes, a price has been set.

No, we cannot disclose it before the release :)

So let's talk about the game instead.

jomni

I was jonsing so hard last night for a modern naval warfare sim I actually reloaded Naval War: Arctic Circle and played a scenario.  It sucked.  Maybe I can tolerate the 4:3 screen ratio of Fleet Command for a few days...

Dimitris

I can happily confirm that Command has a save function, as well as autosave and record & replay  :)

jomni

Quote from: Dimitris on September 18, 2013, 06:40:34 AM
I can happily confirm that Command has a save function, as well as autosave and record & replay  :)

Good work!

Herman Hum

Quote from: jomni on September 18, 2013, 06:28:00 AM

Very true!

However, I can happily confirm that both ANW and NWAC have multi-player capability. :)

Barthheart

WOW! Just read through this AAR Raid on Kismayo : http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3410675

Extremely small scenario that looks like a lot of fun.

Getting more and more interested in this title.... may have to pry open my wallet.....