The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzerde

Quote from: jomni on September 18, 2013, 06:42:43 AM
Quote from: Dimitris on September 18, 2013, 06:40:34 AM
I can happily confirm that Command has a save function, as well as autosave and record & replay  :)

Good work!

A year ago I would have thought that even for a simple modern naval warfare sim that being able to save the game was part of the price of entry.  Now, post NWAC, it's obviously worth confirming! :o
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Dimitris

Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

mikeck

Can anyone recommend a modern warfare novel like "Hunt for Red October" or (a naval version) of Team Yankee? That type of military techno thriller. I haven't read one since 1991 (Red Phoenix I think) and I'm sure this book will put me in the mood.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

undercovergeek

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

No thanks. I just picked up "fourth crises" about a US v China fight over Taiwan. Cliche but whatever

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

I re-read RSR every summer. It's pretty much it for the techno-thriller/WW3 genre.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Herman Hum

Try "The War that Never Was", by Michael Palmer (if you can find it) or "The Sixth Battle", by Barrett Tillman.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Staggerwing

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 21, 2013, 08:57:59 PM
only 3 times?

check out To Kill the Potemkin.

I read that a while ago but forgotten all about it. IIRC it takes place in the late 60's or early 70's in the Med. I almost didn't read it because the title seemed a cheesy attempt to capitalize on Hunt for Red October. I'm glad I did.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Staggerwing

Patrick Robinson has a few naval war novels out as well, Kilo Class and Nimitz Class among them. They are a little bit over the top though.

If you want to read some cheesy fun get some of the Seventh Carrier novels. Quite far-fetched but entertaining.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 21, 2013, 10:06:37 PM
Patrick Robinson has a few naval war novels out as well, Kilo Class and Nimitz Class among them. They are a little bit over the top though.

If you want to read some cheesy fun get some of the Seventh Carrier novels. Quite far-fetched but entertaining.

Kilo was pretty good. Robinson is over-the-top though.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Quote from: Herman Hum on September 21, 2013, 09:59:17 PM
Try "The War that Never Was", by Michael Palmer (if you can find it) or "The Sixth Battle", by Barrett Tillman.

Thanks, Herman. I'll see if I can find them. I'm always interested in new techno-thriller fiction, as long as it is good.

mikeck

I have read "the war that never was"...pretty entertaining