The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on September 24, 2013, 09:34:43 PM
No pics or art of all the platforms, in the database.  Due to IP issues with all the pics floating about out there, which I can understand.  Looks like the community will have to provide mods to fill it all out too.
Weren't we discussing in the American Football thread about user created mods and how I could never be bothered and would pay extra for a game that had the licence....at no point in that conversation did I say I would pay extra even if they weren't in the game...lol

As it is it seems I do have to download the pics...which to be fair are immediately available and easy to install (though as with any mod for any game I have no idea on quality or quantity - and there could be better ones showing up in the future which is why, whilst I appreciate the work people put in to doing mods, I generally don't bother with them).

I know it sounds it from my post, but it's definitely not all bad. I had a great time last night but rather frustrating in places - and as I said that could be my lack of knowledge in places, but a lot of it seemed common sense - especially when looking for information.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Same again with Air Ops window - it should show weapon loadouts and you should be able to get to the database viewer for the aircraft/weapon selected...and going to the Ready/Arm from that window brings up another window that shows the weapons that can be loaded...again this would be the most obvious place for me to want to see the capabilities of a weapon.

I'm surprised there is no weapon database with the exception of looking at loadouts of aircraft. I would've expected to see that in the Database Viewer.

Another interface thing - would it really be a problem to show 2 database viewer windows - or replace the one that's open with whatever you double clicked? I selected Browse Scenario Platforms (good tool - but the information presented there should be accessible from other areas) and double clicked the Typhoon which brought up the Database Viewer - then I double clicked on the Sea King - and nothing happened - I had to close the Database Viewer window...just re-use the one that's there.
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

JD, good that you bought it,  ...eventually   ;) ....and helps with the learning curve with your AARs :)
i saw the first 5 videos and the jumped in directly in that clandestine Somalia mission...

and marbled at the Encyclopedia 8)
...land units are there too,  so i can even testbed how Gepards, Rolands and Ozelots would protect a Tank platoon 8)

concerning 'the world' i would like to have a (maybe external) tool where i can mark an (probably small) area on a CMANO map ...and the tool magical retrieves the data from Google Earth or Maps (satelite and street maps) and stores it in a format to just import in the game as fitting overlays.

and Big Thanks! to the developer crew to hang out here :) and Congrats! to that promising Release

PS: i highly recommend a download manager for the wooping 2.5GB zip file ...i downloaded 3 times just with the browser functionality and got CRC errors -unitil i installed FDM tool- and got it right eventually  ...also the installation will take some time ...so plan ahead concerning those nasty RL-interferences ... I didnt had a chance to see much of the actually gameplay last eve  ;)       

JudgeDredd

Yeah - I held out so long  ;)

It should be noted that all my critiques are purely based on what I discovered in the first tutorial and are mostly interface based and how to get to information specifically. There are certain things I think should just be there.

I think it was bostonmyk who mentioned the Browse Scenario Platforms - great window for looking at the Database Viewer with just the scenario platforms present...removes the need to search the Database Viewer

For what it's worth, I was playing the game in 1 second pulses last night - anything higher seemed unmanageable - presumably due to scale. Even 5 second pulses seemed fast. if anything I'd have liked a 0.5 sec impulse.

Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Yeah, there needs to be a 2- or 3-second time acceleration option.  For air ops, 1-second realtime is a bit too slow and 5-seconds can be a bit too fast at times.

I also completely agree on the interface needing more functionality.  I'm finding myself digging having to click more than I should because the UI needs more shortcuts in various windows.  The parts are all there, we just need more direct routes to them in most cases.

Quote from: Kushan on September 24, 2013, 09:47:38 PM

Have the manually turn them on.

Along the top select Game -> Game Options, then check the check box that says "Use game sounds"

Thanks.  I actually found that during my second session and turned it on.  But only heard sounds for a torpedo and missile launches thus far.  They sounded good to me - short & to the point.  Was hoping there would be more for various notable events.  The 'New Sonar Contact' & other such speech sounds from Harpoon3 were great despite being rather loud.  Those actually named the contact IDs in each one, however, didn't they?  That would take some work to do something similar, but that's why they were nice IMO.

I also turned on the Pop-Up message boxes for 'New Contact Detected' and 'Weapon Detected', and turned on the pause option for them.  Very useful.

Dimitris

Yeah the customizable "slam the brakes" pop-up was one of the better brainwaves :D

We hear you on the UI things, particularly on air ops. Part of the issue lies with the fact that the devs are really into this stuff (dangerous combo, that one) and they can sometimes forget that not everyone is as crazy with it as them - yet ;D

We'll work on improving the usability of this, and yes, weapon pages on the DB viewer are definitely on the punch stack.

Thanks for sticking with it despite the bumps! I think you will soon discover just what sort of beast you've began tangling with... and we mean that in a good way :D
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

JudgeDredd

They're only bumps Dimitris...and I understand the things I point out are just that - things noticeable to me.

I'm not suggesting that changes are made on my recommendation - but as Nefaro said - all the information is there - it just needs to be more readily available.

I think clicking on a unit on the map and seeing the current state of it's weapons underneath where it shows the fuel is a big one...I definitely always want to see what weapons a platform has. I did notice, looking at another scenario, that ships for example have many, many more weapons...but the list could be scrollable

One other thing I meant to mention - and this isn't a game criticism - just asking about real life...but when I looked at some of the aircraft I eventually RTB'd...they said 5+ hours to be readied...is that in real life? Things change I know, but didn't Yorktown and Enterprise turn round 30+ aircraft on an aircraft carrier in less than an hour?

Just saying - 5 hours seemed a long time to re-arm and refuel...not that I would know any better
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Dimitris on September 25, 2013, 03:17:34 AM
...Part of the issue lies with the fact that the devs are really into this stuff (dangerous combo, that one) and they can sometimes forget that not everyone is as crazy with it as them - yet ;D
I'm a dev and I definitely know that when you are developing something you very often get feedback on things that don't seem so intuitive - and you really did think you were going about the issue in an intuitive way. It often takes people detached from code to notice the finer things...the little details that take your software from great to brilliant and a pleasure to use.
Alba gu' brath

GJK

Quote from: Nefaro on September 25, 2013, 02:53:48 AM
Thanks.  I actually found that during my second session and turned it on.  But only heard sounds for a torpedo and missile launches thus far.  They sounded good to me - short & to the point.  Was hoping there would be more for various notable events.  The 'New Sonar Contact' & other such speech sounds from Harpoon3 were great despite being rather loud.  Those actually named the contact IDs in each one, however, didn't they?  That would take some work to do something similar, but that's why they were nice IMO.

I thought that the sounds in Janes Fleet Command "made" that game; they really helped with the immersion.  Does this one not have similar sounds?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

JudgeDredd

Oh - and I've been quiet because I'm at work...I'll get back on it tonight.  :D
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

i was able to set up a little scenario in a few minutes :) ... here ongoing test of the performance of German coldwar Flak against a OV 10 Bronco target simulator plane (historical, in the hills around my place) and let the Bronco do contour flight...  as planed in the post yesterday  :)

spelk

You see this trailer...

Thats the sounds and music the game needs! :)

Nefaro

Quote from: GJK on September 25, 2013, 06:02:29 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 25, 2013, 02:53:48 AM

I thought that the sounds in Janes Fleet Command "made" that game; they really helped with the immersion.  Does this one not have similar sounds?

No, you don't have any thrumming of turbines or extensive launch sounds.  Since this is a 2D sim, I don't expect it to have a sounds matching a 3D environment.  However, they're still pretty thin. 

(Edit:  I am starting to think that a similarly low & steady surface warship turbine sound in the background might not be too bad, as long as it didn't have any noticeable variation so it's doesn't have any rise & fall of the engine noise to make it sound repetitive.  That's one of my big complaints about the Third Wire flight sims - the engine noise sound file often has a knocking sound, a rise & fall, and you can hear the same 2.5 or 3 second sound file being repeatedly looped which is a no-no.  Your example of the old Jane's Fleet Command engine sound would be kinda cool if it was just sitting low in the background.  I'm not sure of which events currently have a sound trigger, but I might be willing to edit & crop some sound files if we can get the proper ones assembled.)

I suspect someone will gather some sounds from other sources into a mod, at some point, if the 'hooks' for firing them are there.  I expected there to be more sounds with the official version, however.  The current crop of weapon firing sounds are appropriate, but there should be more for other notable events too.

Dmitris, Mike, and others -  I think you should consider setting the Pop-Up and Pause features as activated by default for New Contact & Weapon Contact events.   It really felt like the auto-pause was missing for these, until I found them.  Probably the same for the Sound, even though there aren't many at the moment.

JudgeDredd

I've been going through some threads at Matrix - seeing the general vibe...seems to me I have it totally wrong. Not a single mention of any issues relating to the interface. Seems I must be one of the few who feels like I'm going where I shouldn't have to to get information.  :-[

On top of that, the place is still seems to be a cesspit for spitting venom at people.

And I don't know what it is - but sometimes it seems when Iain posts they sometimes come off condescending - joking or not, if people's backs are up, you should either just stay polite or back out. They could have saved themselves all the negativity on release day by telling people the price a month ago. But nope...they'd rather take the shite on release day.

I was going to post my initial impressions over there and maybe my views on the interface - but I shan't bother...It'll just get my back up.

I'll stay here where it's nice and friendly and post my thoughts. Hopefully Dimitris and bostonmyke will stick around.

Looking forward to home time.
Alba gu' brath

Dimitris

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 25, 2013, 11:10:19 AM
I've been going through some threads at Matrix - seeing the general vibe...seems to me I have it totally wrong. Not a single mention of any issues relating to the interface. Seems I must be one of the few who feels like I'm going where I shouldn't have to to get information.  :-[

One unhappy (or even just confused) customer is one too many. We'll do what we can do address your (and others') concerns. They may not get #1 priority (it looks like we first have to take care of a couple of crash cases, one of them reported here) but they're definitely on our radar.

And yes, we plan on sticking around as long as we're welcome :D
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command