The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fetrik

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 01, 2013, 10:48:17 PM
its needs the use of the word gooder more.

Proper usage of gooder is only while speaking  of cake.

emsoy

Quote from: CptHowdy on October 01, 2013, 06:35:53 PM
using the latest build 438. trying out the air tutorial again. made patrol mission and put 12 tomcats in it. first 4 launched so I decided to group them for the heck of it. when I grouped them it removed them from the patrol mission  >:(
why?? I set a mission for 12 tomcats to patrol just because I grouped 4 of them doesn't change the fact that they had a mission. I only realized they had had been dropped because they flew within range of the sam sites. my patrol zone was set up outside the range of those sites. once I assigned the group back to the patrol mission they immediately got their butts back into the patrol area and out of harms way :)  I also minimized the game on accident and when I went to switch back it froze up and had to shut down. luckily I had saved right before that!

Did you uncheck the 1/3 Rule checkbox?

Copy-paste from the tutorial text:

Make sure to uncheck the 1/3rd Rule option so that all aircraft are launched immediately.
Click Close to complete process of assigning the fighters to the AAW Patrol mission.
Database guru, sensor model developer, system tester and senior scenario designer in the "Command : Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

emsoy

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 01, 2013, 05:51:59 PM
Right - how about this...

A Group of 2 Sea Harriers - they were on CAP and exited the CAP area (because investigate outside was ticked). They found and attacked 2 A-4 Skyhawks. I saw they were low on fuel and with only 1 Sidewinder left, I decided to RTB them.

a) How do you do that - RTB a group?

Select the group, right-click, press RTB  8)

b) The way I did it was go into unit mode, clicked on the leader and then selected RTB...to my pleasure the other one also followed for RTB
c) However, they were showing as 2 units...I pressed 9 to go back to group mode - and they didn't - they stayed as individual units. So I selected both of them again and pressed G to group them - only to have the message "Group_706 has no units left; dissolving..." - so how do you get them to form a group again

The most important one though is why is RTB missing from an air groups list of possible actions. The right click menu system should be available for groups as well as units. What's the point in having a streamlined grouping system if you have to keep jumping in and out of unit mode to see various things or assign various orders...and I get that some are specific to platforms - so the Group menu system should be modified to only include the available actions that can be carried out by all the units in the group. I also think the fuel left for the aircraft with the lowest fuel assigned to a group should be displayed...along with my other requests for weapons. In UNIT view, you should be able to see the weapons available in the right hand side under the fuel. In Group mode, you should see the fuel left for the platform with the lowest fuel level in the group and also the available weapons - in total...so a group of 2xHarriers would show 4xSidewinders and the fuel for the Harrier with the lowest amount of fuel. The fuel thing is especially important if you were having a mix of air assets in a group.

This has been suggested on several occations and is already on our to-do list. Have added your comments and a link to your post from the feature request in our bug/feature tracking database.

QuoteJust my opinion.

One last thing - it's late - please PLEASE for the love of god remove the need to switch off the numlock. Nefaro requested this and it's driving me bloody nuts. Currently I'm playing through a scenario and I'm going out to the web to find a platform image, saving it, using my pic program to edit it and trying to save it - only realising when I've been typing the damn platform number that I had num lock off. So I switch it on and save the file, go back in game and at some point try to go back to unit/group mode and realise the damn num lock is on! Please get rid

Added as a request, prioritized, and assigned  ;D

Thanks for your feedback Dredd!
Database guru, sensor model developer, system tester and senior scenario designer in the "Command : Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

Arctic Blast

Perhaps also suggest that the proper editing tools be used on that train wreck of a video. Lighter fluid and a match should get the job done.

CptHowdy

Quote from: emsoy on October 01, 2013, 11:00:50 PM
using the latest build 438. trying out the air tutorial again. made patrol mission and put 12 tomcats in it. first 4 launched so I decided to group them for the heck of it. when I grouped them it removed them from the patrol mission  >:(
why?? I set a mission for 12 tomcats to patrol just because I grouped 4 of them doesn't change the fact that they had a mission. I only realized they had had been dropped because they flew within range of the sam sites. my patrol zone was set up outside the range of those sites. once I assigned the group back to the patrol mission they immediately got their butts back into the patrol area and out of harms way :)  I also minimized the game on accident and when I went to switch back it froze up and had to shut down. luckily I had saved right before that!

Make sure to uncheck the 1/3rd Rule option so that all aircraft are launched immediately.
Click Close to complete process of assigning the fighters to the AAW Patrol mission.

not sure how having that checked or unchecked matters? it was unchecked though. first 4 tomcats launched and I grouped them. once they were grouped they got removed from the patrol mission. I had to go back into the mission editor and assign their group to the patrol mission again. it was probably anticipating that I would assign them their own mission and thus removed them from the patrol mission. my only issue is that they did have a mission, grouping them shouldn't remove them from that mission. no big deal, ill just know better next time! love the new update. cant believe that weapons DB wasn't in from the start though!

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 01, 2013, 11:37:35 PM
Perhaps also suggest that the proper editing tools be used on that train wreck of a video. Lighter fluid and a match should get the job done.

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

jomni

Quote from: CptHowdy on October 02, 2013, 12:23:01 AM

not sure how having that checked or unchecked matters? it was unchecked though. first 4 tomcats launched and I grouped them. once they were grouped they got removed from the patrol mission. I had to go back into the mission editor and assign their group to the patrol mission again. it was probably anticipating that I would assign them their own mission and thus removed them from the patrol mission. my only issue is that they did have a mission, grouping them shouldn't remove them from that mission. no big deal, ill just know better next time! love the new update. cant believe that weapons DB wasn't in from the start though!

I find it to be completely logical especially in a coding standpoint. What happens if you joined elements with different missions? Which mission will be retained?

CptHowdy

Quote from: jomni on October 02, 2013, 12:48:01 AM

I find it to be completely logical especially in a coding standpoint. What happens if you joined elements with different missions? Which mission will be retained?
im sure it was expecting me to give them a mission since I grouped them so it went ahead and unassigned them for me. maybe a message saying your group now has no mission assigned or would you like to keep this group in the mission currently assigned? its fine if the game wants to do that but let me know. what happens now if you try to group elements with different missions? guess I have something to test!!

emsoy

Ah I see. Reported, prioritized and assigned.

Thanks!  ;D

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bostonmyk on October 01, 2013, 08:49:35 PM

A Group of 2 Sea Harriers - they were on CAP and exited the CAP area (because investigate outside was ticked). They found and attacked 2 A-4 Skyhawks. I saw they were low on fuel and with only 1 Sidewinder left, I decided to RTB them.

b) The way I did it was go into unit mode, clicked on the leader and then selected RTB...to my pleasure the other one also followed for RTB
c) However, they were showing as 2 units...I pressed 9 to go back to group mode - and they didn't - they stayed as individual units. So I selected both of them again and pressed G to group them - only to have the message "Group_706 has no units left; dissolving..." - so how do you get them to form a group again

The most important one though is why is RTB missing from an air groups list of possible actions. The right click menu system should be available for groups as well as units. What's the point in having a streamlined grouping system if you have to keep jumping in and out of unit mode to see various things or assign various orders...and I get that some are specific to platforms - so the Group menu system should be modified to only include the available actions that can be carried out by all the units in the group.

I also think the fuel left for the aircraft with the lowest fuel assigned to a group should be displayed...along with my other requests for weapons. In UNIT view, you should be able to see the weapons available in the right hand side under the fuel. In Group mode, you should see the fuel left for the platform with the lowest fuel level in the group and also the available weapons - in total...so a group of 2xHarriers would show 4xSidewinders and the fuel for the Harrier with the lowest amount of fuel. The fuel thing is especially important if you were having a mix of air assets in a group.

Just my opinion.

One last thing - it's late - please PLEASE for the love of god remove the need to switch off the numlock. Nefaro requested this and it's driving me bloody nuts. Currently I'm playing through a scenario and I'm going out to the web to find a platform image, saving it, using my pic program to edit it and trying to save it - only realising when I've been typing the damn platform number that I had num lock off. So I switch it on and save the file, go back in game and at some point try to go back to unit/group mode and realise the damn num lock is on! Please get rid

Hi Judge

Right click the unit and select RTB from the dropdown.  Groups break up when you order that.  Please let me know if you see an airgroup that you can't right click and see the RTB option.

As far as switching from unit/group you can use the pageup key as well.

Your other requests have been added to our list of things to look at when you first wrote them.
Thanks bostonmyk. I had "Launch as Group" two Harriers - and they stayed as a group, but I didn't see an RTB option on the right mouse click until I went to unit mode. I'll double check
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bostonmyk on October 01, 2013, 08:49:35 PM
Hi Judge

Right click the unit and select RTB from the dropdown.  Groups break up when you order that.  Please let me know if you see an airgroup that you can't right click and see the RTB option.

As far as switching from unit/group you can use the pageup key as well.

Your other requests have been added to our list of things to look at when you first wrote them.
mmm...I apologise. It was late last night. I actually don't know why I didn't see the RTB option...but it seems, today, it's there...so I can only draw the conclusion that it was there last night.  ???

I don't get it...but I'll report if I notice it's absence again.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Some more questions this morning...

The highlighted units were part of a Harrier group. That group was heading north east towards an as yet unidentified contact.Some other unidentified aircraft were discovered by southernmost Harriers (not part of that group - a group of their own). So the bottom two highlighted Harriers broke off following their lead (I guess it's the lead) and started heading south. Why?

In this one, not a bug - aesthetic - when looking up potential contacts, I think leaving off future aircraft would be best? There's a Mirage listed there from 1998. Like I said - just aesthetic

And this one, my Harrier was being chased. I just had the type of radar showing it as likely a Mirage III. I thought (thought) it might be a good idea to dive and run. First of all, you will notice that the Harrier is showing 450kts...and that is the cruise speed for a Harrier...why is it not going full pelt to get away (likely because it's Bingo fuel)...but still - the bogey was catching. Secondly - I tried to get it to dive. I thought it could use gravity to give it more speed...but even though the tick box showed manual, the only time the altitude changed was when I was actually dragging it - when I stopped dragging it, it stayed where I left it, but still showed Desired Altitude as 12192.

As always - thx.
Alba gu' brath

Baloogan

Hi Wargamers!

I'm going to be streaming live today (Wednesday) at 5:00 pm PDT!

Stream is located at http://www.twitch.tv/baloogancampaign

I decided I couldn't wait till the weekend to continue Operation Lightning Strike; I really wanted to continue the scenario.

After the F-16 flights dueled some JF-17 elements northern Pakistan erupts into a cacophony of active radar emitters and new bogies! The F-22s are within 150 nm of the Pakistani coast! And some new surface contacts are detected between India and Pakistan! What will happen next? I have no idea...

I've upgraded my internet service, now I get 2.5 mbps rather than 0.5 mbps upload which means a faster, higher quality stream. An example of the new quality is the upload of my first Baloogan Highlight, in which I look at offensive electronic warfare.

Time till the stream goes live is listed on the sidebar on the right.

As always I'll try to answer any questions you might have about the game or about naval operations and tactics. Please pass the word!

Stream will be located at http://www.twitch.tv/baloogancampaign

republic

Hey this is great Baloogan!  I'll be tuning in for sure.

mikeck

The most important one though is why is RTB missing from an air groups list of possible actions. The right click menu system should be available for groups as well as units. What's the point in having a streamlined grouping system if you have to keep jumping in and out of unit mode to see various things or assign various orders...and I get that some are specific to platforms - so the Group menu system should be modified to only include the available actions that can be carried out by all the units in the group.

I also think the fuel left for the aircraft with the lowest fuel assigned to a group should be displayed...along with my other requests for weapons. In UNIT view, you should be able to see the weapons available in the right hand side under the fuel. In Group mode, you should see the fuel left for the platform with the lowest fuel level in the group and also the available weapons - in total...so a group of 2xHarriers would show 4xSidewinders and the fuel for the Harrier with the lowest amount of fuel. The fuel thing is especially important if you were having a mix of air assets in a group.

Just my opinion.

Judge, I find it easier to just drag a box around all of the units and then right click on any of the - now highlighted- units. If you give an RTB order, should apply to all of them.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson