The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Quote from: Baloogan on October 02, 2013, 05:44:09 AM
Hi Wargamers!

I'm going to be streaming live today (Wednesday) at 5:00 pm PDT!

Stream is located at http://www.twitch.tv/baloogancampaign

I decided I couldn't wait till the weekend to continue Operation Lightning Strike; I really wanted to continue the scenario.

After the F-16 flights dueled some JF-17 elements northern Pakistan erupts into a cacophony of active radar emitters and new bogies! The F-22s are within 150 nm of the Pakistani coast! And some new surface contacts are detected between India and Pakistan! What will happen next? I have no idea...

I've upgraded my internet service, now I get 2.5 mbps rather than 0.5 mbps upload which means a faster, higher quality stream. An example of the new quality is the upload of my first Baloogan Highlight, in which I look at offensive electronic warfare.

Time till the stream goes live is listed on the sidebar on the right.

As always I'll try to answer any questions you might have about the game or about naval operations and tactics. Please pass the word!

Stream will be located at http://www.twitch.tv/baloogancampaign

Boolagan, I saw in a previous post that you had recreated the Iceland invasion of red storm rising in the scenario editor. Any chance of posting that for others to play???? Hmmm?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

MikeGER

Baloogan, you seem to be a man of many talents about hooking up information flows with different media, devices and such. 8)

unfortunately 5pm PDT is 2am MEST so here is my idea/request for info upfront :)

...i would like to live-stream the content of the Command message window to my Note 10.1 Android tablet for improving my little CiC here... ;)
so something like a remote desktop utility which grabs a non visible W7 window (will it get refreshed in the background by Command? ) or defining a 'virtual' second display (instead the utility in question streams the content to the tablet)

any suggestions out there?

next step would be an official Command CiC App  from Matrix /Slitherine ;) 
which has the text  window and maybe optional some nice animated buttons too (which the user can configure himself from a list of functions)

well if those GTA 5 kids can train there virtual dog with an App, why should a Grog not activate Radar, Sonar, OECM , n' such with a fingertip while Command main display is filling the man cave wall with the help of a beamer ;)   

Reckall

Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 01, 2013, 11:37:35 PM
Perhaps also suggest that the proper editing tools be used on that train wreck of a video. Lighter fluid and a match should get the job done.

So that people are invited to start learning how to *read* again? I fully agree!

Herman Hum

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 02, 2013, 02:14:18 AM
In this one, not a bug - aesthetic - when looking up potential contacts, I think leaving off future aircraft would be best? There's a Mirage listed there from 1998. Like I said - just aesthetic

I think that attempting to restrict the database viewer entries according to the date of the scenario would be a less gooder idea.

I played a scenario depicting a European air battle.  I was quite surprised when I detected and classified Falcons from Singapore!  The scenario designer had obviously wanted them in the scenario for their unique capabilities.  Of course, he is able to add aircraft that are also out of the scenario's time frame, too.  For example, if his scenario was set in 1980 and he added planes from 1982, your viewer restriction idea would cause problems and might not even display the aircraft. 

IMO, it would be more gooder to leave the viewer as it is so that a scenario designer can enjoy more flexibility with his designs.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

bayonetbrant

something I noticed toward the end of the review
QuoteLearning the NTDS icons is not an impossible task, but not everyone wants to memorize the entire gamut of symbols, either

Raise your hand if you can scribble out NATO ground unit icons from memory.

There's no practical application of that symbology beyond the military, and wargamers.  And yet how many wargamers have had no problem learning the symbols.?
Methinks this is one of those "not a real quibble, but just piling on" sorts of comments that others have pointed out.

I will note that only 2-3 places in the written review (I didn't watch the video) did I see things that were grammatically out of bounds ("malice aforethought" for instance).  There are certainly some stylistic points where I'd take a different tack* but that's personal preference and not grammatically incorrect.

* Look! Brant's using nautical terms!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Well given that explanation it does give scenario designers flexibility.

However - for me it reduces the realism/authenticity/immersion factor, call it what you will, "Oh look commander - I've detected a signature for an aircraft 16 years from now"  :o

And I get the "flexibility" thing - but I really don't want F35 Joint Strike Fighters taking off from HMS Invincible in 1982 - actually, that might be kind of cool!  8)
Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

how else are you supposed to update The Final Countdown to the Falklands?!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MikeGER

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 02, 2013, 09:10:15 AM
However - for me it reduces the realism/authenticity/immersion factor, call it what you will, "Oh look commander - I've detected a signature for an aircraft 16 years from now"  :o
+1

how about just a switch in the Game Option menu
'Historic'  and 'What If'
historic, will be the default and only stuff that existed make it into those list for the given scenario timestamp for immersion reason.   

LongBlade

I feel like the slow kid in class.

I'm playing the tutorial and can't even get my F-14's to launch an AAW mission.

In the mission editor I create the mission, ready the aircraft and wait. Phases 1-5 fire, but my F-14's just sit there. I feel like a complete moron. What am I missing?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bismarck

Dear Slow Kid,

Are you using "Add New Mission" first?

Yours truly,

Bright Kid
Jim Cobb

Herman Hum

Is that an AAW Strike [Intercept] mission or an AAW [Patrol] mission?

On a strike mission, they may not be launching if there is a known/hostile contact detected.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Bismarck

It's a patrol.

The tutorial pop-ups can be hard to read.  What I did was, when the first came up, I click-dragged down to the end to get all instructions for that scenario and pasted it to a Word doc. Since the game is windowed, I could pause between steps and read the doc.
Jim Cobb

MikeGER

Quote from: LongBlade on October 02, 2013, 10:58:16 AM

;) ;) ;)

CptHowdy

Quote from: LongBlade on October 02, 2013, 10:58:16 AM

In the mission editor I create the mission, ready the aircraft and wait. Phases 1-5 fire, but my F-14's just sit there. I feel like a complete moron. What am I missing?

create mission, select units for that mission and hit the arrow thingies to move those units over to the assigned window. do not hit ready aircraft button. they already have a loadout. im guessing you went into the ready aircraft window and selected a loadout for them. that means they go back and replan and rearm which could take several hours thus the reason you don't see them launching at all.

SgtRock

Any talk of a demo? Would like to see how different this one is from Harpoon.