The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: LongBlade on October 02, 2013, 10:58:16 AM
I feel like the slow kid in class.

I'm playing the tutorial and can't even get my F-14's to launch an AAW mission.

In the mission editor I create the mission, ready the aircraft and wait. Phases 1-5 fire, but my F-14's just sit there. I feel like a complete moron. What am I missing?

You need to say this when issuing the orders. Rookie mistake.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

Quote from: MikeGER on October 02, 2013, 11:17:00 AM

;) ;) ;)

Thanks. That's what I'm going to do next.

Yes, James, I was "adding new mission." Something is off. Hopefully Ballogan's vids will clarify.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

undercovergeek

Quote from: SgtRock on October 02, 2013, 11:18:42 AM
Any talk of a demo? Would like to see how different this one is from Harpoon.

not a chance from Matrix

Herman Hum

Anyone who absolutely needs to try a demo of this can contact me and I can try to arrange something via remote desktop for a trial run.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Herman Hum

Quote from: Bismarck on October 02, 2013, 11:15:07 AM
It's a patrol.

The tutorial pop-ups can be hard to read.  What I did was, when the first came up, I click-dragged down to the end to get all instructions for that scenario and pasted it to a Word doc. Since the game is windowed, I could pause between steps and read the doc.
Can you post the saved game of the tutorial here?  I quick glimpse at it might help explain the situation.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Bismarck

I would note that Boolangan's video, though fantastic and extremely instructive, doesn't follow the scenario tips. Having won using the tips, I learned more from the video.
Jim Cobb

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Herman Hum on October 02, 2013, 08:48:02 AM

I think that attempting to restrict the database viewer entries according to the date of the scenario would be a less gooder idea.

[reads - thinks of cleaning ears with Q-tip]
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

spelk

I posted this over at Warfaresims site, but I think it needs to be approved for your first post... so I thought I would clutter up the Grogs thread with a couple of my simple UI suggestions to add to the other voices here:

Reference Point and Defining Areas with Alt key combo? - I wondered if it was feasible for these to be attached to an Alt key hold event, with a single click for an RP placement, or an Alt+Left click and drag for a define area? Having to Ctrl+click and then select an option from a pop-up menu, to be able to do something that you really want to happen naturally and fluidly - seems counter-intuitive and overly "clicky" - when if it was possible a simply Alt+Left click, or Alt+Left drag would be so simpler to execute.

Slider control for Time phase changing? - Again having to pull drop down lists to change the time phase seems a bit awkward and clunky, whereas a slider with fixed nodes on it would be more natural.

Aircraft Ops dialogue - does it need to be hierarchical? - The Air Ops listing is displayed as collapsed lists of aircraft, that require a tiny + sign to be clicked to open up (with quite a delay) the current status of your aircraft. I don't think you need to collapsed subdivision really, it adds a lot of whitespace around the entries and makes them difficult to assess in a single view - putting all aircraft in a listview, sorted on type should be easier to quickly get to the info you want. You then have the option of sorting on various columns, and you can probably merge the Air Facilities heirarchy in as another field - location/status to the listview. Giving the player a single place to get all the info at a glance, without clicking/expanding/tabbing/scrolling a lot.

Weapon info for Selected Unit on info panel - I think this one has been covered by others, but ultimately you want to know the weapon info of your current target - I'd swap the Weapons button info to a scrolling panel, and push the Doctrine/ROE onto a button.

Anyway, I don't know how feasible in the Command engine, or even how needed the following suggestions are - but as someone who has done quite a bit of design with database interfaces, I thought I'd share a couple of my ideas as I'm playing through the game.

ERutins

In the mission editor I create the mission, ready the aircraft and wait. Phases 1-5 fire, but my F-14's just sit there. I feel like a complete moron. What am I missing?

Did you already look through these?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/announcement.asp?id=26

CptHowdy

Quote from: Bismarck on October 02, 2013, 11:15:07 AM
It's a patrol.

The tutorial pop-ups can be hard to read.  What I did was, when the first came up, I click-dragged down to the end to get all instructions for that scenario and pasted it to a Word doc. Since the game is windowed, I could pause between steps and read the doc.

it is windowed so I just moved the pop-ups to the right side and did what it told me to do. if I needed to read more, I clicked on the pop-up and read more. everything I needed was on screen, no need to cut and paste stuff.

Bismarck

Yeah but I like to read during commercials and before booting the game.
Jim Cobb

mikeck

Quote from: mirth on October 02, 2013, 11:20:33 AM

You need to say this when issuing the orders. Rookie mistake.

Man, do I missed the Cold War!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

CptHowdy

Quote from: ERutins on October 02, 2013, 02:42:45 PM

Did you already look through these?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/announcement.asp?id=26

already told him what he did wrong. he was hitting the ready selected aircraft button in the mission editor. nowhere in the tutorial does it say to do that. I just tested this. I even selected the same loadout that the planes already had. aim phoenix heavy barcap. I checked status and they were at 45 minutes. if he hadn't then they would have launched within 5 minutes. easy mistake to make but the aircraft were already ready to go no need to ready them again which caused a massive delay.

Baloogan

Hi Everyone! I'm Baloogan. I've been live streaming Command last weekend and I'll be doing another stream today at 5:00pm PDT!

Thanks so much for the support macro web images and getting the word out! Its been a major blast!

My website is http://baloogancampaign.com/

I'm going to be streaming live today (Wednesday) at 5:00 pm PDT!

Stream is located at http://www.twitch.tv/baloogancampaign

I decided I couldn't wait till the weekend to continue Operation Lightning Strike; I really wanted to continue the scenario.

After the F-16 flights dueled some JF-17 elements northern Pakistan erupts into a cacophony of active radar emitters and new bogies! The F-22s are within 150 nm of the Pakistani coast! And some new surface contacts are detected between India and Pakistan! What will happen next? I have no idea...

I've upgraded my internet service, now I get 2.5 mbps rather than 0.5 mbps upload which means a faster, higher quality stream. An example of the new quality is the upload of my first Baloogan Highlight, in which I look at offensive electronic warfare.

Time till the stream goes live is listed on the sidebar on the right on my website!

As always I'll try to answer any questions you might have about the game or about naval operations and tactics. Please pass the word!

Stream will be located at http://www.twitch.tv/baloogancampaign

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Baloogan on October 02, 2013, 03:36:48 PM
Hi Everyone! I'm Baloogan. I've been live streaming Command last weekend and I'll be doing another stream today at 5:00pm PDT!

Thanks so much for the support macro web images and getting the word out! Its been a major blast!

My website is http://baloogancampaign.com/

I'm going to be streaming live today (Wednesday) at 5:00 pm PDT!

Stream is located at http://www.twitch.tv/baloogancampaign

I decided I couldn't wait till the weekend to continue Operation Lightning Strike; I really wanted to continue the scenario.

After the F-16 flights dueled some JF-17 elements northern Pakistan erupts into a cacophony of active radar emitters and new bogies! The F-22s are within 150 nm of the Pakistani coast! And some new surface contacts are detected between India and Pakistan! What will happen next? I have no idea...

I've upgraded my internet service, now I get 2.5 mbps rather than 0.5 mbps upload which means a faster, higher quality stream. An example of the new quality is the upload of my first Baloogan Highlight, in which I look at offensive electronic warfare.

Time till the stream goes live is listed on the sidebar on the right on my website!

As always I'll try to answer any questions you might have about the game or about naval operations and tactics. Please pass the word!

Stream will be located at http://www.twitch.tv/baloogancampaign

We know.  You posted this at Reply #612 earlier this morning.  No need for the bump.  The thread is very active and just about everyone who is participating is a huge fan of your work...including me!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18