The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: mikeck on October 03, 2013, 04:28:04 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on October 03, 2013, 04:08:03 PM
Quote from: Bismarck on October 03, 2013, 04:04:32 PM
No, you assign orders from Unit Orders on the top menu, right-clicking the unit for a drop-down menu or by hot keys.

I'm really lost. I can order aircraft to take off from the airbase using that menu. I thought I saw Balooga using some of the right hand menu for activity, too.

I dunno. I'll go back and watch again.
Everything you need to do can be done by right clicking on the unit and selecting, by ctrl-right clicking on the map for reference points and using the mission editor. The only thing I use that right menu for is accessing the database or setting sensor policy for a formation

Thank you :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

jomni

Dynamic Aircraft range ring. In harpoon, we have this ring that indicates how far the plane can fly with current fuel level at current speed. Any plans to do something similar?

What's the best way to plan how to use the planes based on range?

bostonmyk

Quote from: jomni on October 03, 2013, 08:56:09 PM
Dynamic Aircraft range ring. In harpoon, we have this ring that indicates how far the plane can fly with current fuel level at current speed. Any plans to do something similar?

Go to the database viewer the operating radius is under aircraft stores as its dependent on loadout.

M
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

jomni

Quote from: bostonmyk on October 03, 2013, 09:15:32 PM

Go to the database viewer the operating radius is under aircraft stores as its dependent on loadout.

M

Good.  Gotta start digging for info.

mikeck

Crap, you know, back in the mid to late '80s I knew every weapon and vehicle in the US arsenal. I was obsessed. Now, some are the same but most are alien. I look at a bb load out on am F18 and I can't tell whether it's supposed to attack a runway, bunker or vehicle. *sigh* I need a Janes book
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on October 03, 2013, 10:04:31 PM
*sigh* I need a Janes book

I believe Jane's originally started off as a tabletop naval wargame long long ago.   ;)

CptHowdy

alrighty tried the air tutorial again! aaw patrol lost a couple of tomcats. sent out sead patrol with 10 planes, 6 carrying the shrikes and 4 with the walleyes. the altitude release envelope for both of those weapons has a max set at 19812 feet. I highlighted one of each and watched as they approached. they stayed at 40k feet and launched their weapons. shouldn't they have dropped in altitude to at least 19812 to launch? I did take out the 2 sam sites and the king radar though. going to launch my ground strike next and see if they can take out the mobile sam plus the 3 sites listed in the briefing.

made the airstrike and watched them. weapons had an alt release envelope of 19812 as well. this time the planes dropped to around 5000 feet and delivered their payload. working as expected. so why didn't the sead aircraft do the same? will assign those to a land strike mission and see if they drop or still launch at 40k.

major victory scored 1500!

tested sead patrol with active and passive radars=launched shrikes and walleyes at 40k
tested land strike with active and passive radars and 3 targets=launched both at 40k
bugged or not?? couple of more things I can try but im leaning toward bugged!
tested sead patrol with passive radar=launched mk82 ldgp, short range lower than 19k feet so that's working!
tested sead patrol with passive radar=launched gbu-10 e/b lgb mk84 at 39840 feet even though launch window is 3k-19.8k

so we have the shrikes, walleyes and gbu-10 e/b not launching at the correct altitude and this is only the air tutorial. once again using build 438. game is running smooth on my laptop and haven't had a crash while testing this mission!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bostonmyk on October 03, 2013, 09:15:32 PM

M
Hi bostonmyk

I think this is one of those times which have been mentioned here many, many times in the past throughout this thread - THAT kind of information should not be needed to be searched for - it should be at hand and not only that, but it shouldn't just be a figure...it should be visual.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but I think what you are suggesting is that the user check the database given the loadout of the aircraft and then use the measuring tool to determine the range left...and wouldn't that have to be done for all aircraft currently up?

I have no problem with it being in the database, but it most certainly should be shown on the map as a ring. Not only that, but it should be real time - so if the aircraft uses afterburner, that ring should reduce. The ring, I think, should relate to BINGO fuel...perhaps with a percentage of grace built in (so people don't get complacent and start seeing their F18's drop into the ocean.

Also - as I mentioned before with the fuel being displayed on the right hand side when viewing a group of aircraft (suggested by me earlier in the thread), this bingo fuel ring probably should relate to the unit with the LEAST amount of fuel in a  group.

There are a few things, already mentioned, including this that make air ops a bit lacking.

Anyway - that's by tuppence  :D

oh - and meant to say - those "dynamic rings" should most definitely not show for all aircraft or even all groups on the map - the user should click the unit to see the range ring.

Also meant to say - you KNOW that information anyway...based on the loadout of the aircraft because you are tracking fuel. So all you have to add (sounds simple, eh?) is display a bingo fuel ring when the unit is selected...and display the bingo fuel ring for the airframe with the lowest amount of fuel in a group. Simples.  :P
Alba gu' brath

Dimitris

Quote from: Nefaro on October 03, 2013, 04:38:38 PM
My experience, playing the first tutorial a few times, is that the Shrikes nearly always miss.  I don't know whether the enemy SAM radars realize they're under ARM attack and shut down to lessen the chance of being hit, but whatever is happening they aren't finding a target.  If you want to have a good chance of taking the SAM radars out, you'll have to manually coax the aircraft into dropping their cluster bombs.  Those are far more effective, but you'll also have to be close and low to drop them. 

Okay need to clarify this a bit. Weapons that have airburst warheads, like the Shrike & HARM, will almost always "miss" (the more correct term is "they deliberately detonate at a small distance from their target". We probably need to tweak the message log to say "airburst" instead of "miss"). They almost never hit directly. A miss of a few tens of meters is not important; the emitter as well as any vehicles nearby will be peppered with supersonic red-hot fragments and will almost certainly suffer damage (unless they're armored). At greater miss distances the damage inflicted goes down rapidly.

Another misunderstanding is the idea that you have to physically destroy the radar facility in order to take out the radar. Using an anti-radar missile, and if it airbursts close enough, it is very likely that the radar _sensor_ will be damaged or destroyed (thus achieving the desired effect), but the radar _vehicle or facility_ will still survive. Of course the heavier the warhead and the closer it detonates, the more likely it is that the carrier platform will also be obliterated. But at the end of the day all you care about is not seeing anymore the "pulsing" radar emission over the contact icon. If that happens, you've done the job.

Thanks!
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

jomni

Just to add to judge's comment. Though you have the info in the database, cruise alt, speed and loiter time will make the effective range deviate from what is indicated.

But of course I suppose planners don't have that ring in real life.  They really estimate  the effective range and loiter time through detailed calculation before the mission and no updates during the mission.

MikeGER

Dimitirs, another UI wish about not movable targets / fixed instaltion
when i destroy a target completely its not more on the map   (ok, its not a valid target or threat any more)  but i wish for an toggable option to show already destroy buildings -of course in in different color, maybe dark brown or something - to see the ongoing strategic achievement without browsing a list       

spelk

Just started a write up of the Air Tutorial (which seems popular with folks) - I try to explain the process of creating form up points, and inactive empty missions, so you can schedule the air wing waves onto the target..

Part 1
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=83502

Part 2
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=83580

undercovergeek

MikeGER

F#ck Yeah!   8)

its with an IDisplay utility (GooglePlaystore)
the honor of recommending it goes to JiminyJickers / New Zealand :)  from the Matrix Games forum

JudgeDredd

It's times like this I wish I had bought an Android device and not my Kindle  :(
Alba gu' brath