The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Quote from: mikeck on October 04, 2013, 05:50:33 PM
I've been playing this for awile now. I think it's a great game; very detailed and well done. I have only one real complaint. Scenarios. I can't believe there are no major Soviet v NATO fleet engagements (1985-1989) a la red storm rising. Also no big China v US over Taiwan scenarios. There is one minor scenario but with only a sub, destroyer and a few land based aircraft for the US side, it's small.

This game is begging for Soviet v NATO fleet v fleet scenarios or major convoy actions. Instead all I get is a 1979 scenario, Norwegian patrol boats or 2 sub scenarios.

I guess I expected a vibrant mod community point out these scenarios but so far...not one outside of the community pack. I experimented with the editor but as my game Time is limited, I hate to use it trying to build scenarios. I dunno, I just don't get why the two biggest hypothetical scenarios (US v China in major fleet action)(NATO v Soviet north fleet) or anything similar aren't here. Even one Cold War scenario involving a US carrier battle group. I have no interest in playing Columbia as they attack Venezuela...or Ajerbaijan as they go toe to toe with Russia.

I'm sure over time someone will make some, I'm just surprised.

Just convert the Harpoon scenarios and see how they play out in Command.

I'm making a Singapore scenario and I'm quite surprised that arming A-G weapons on F-16s and F-15s takes 6000 minutes as opposed to 60 for A-A. @_@
6000mins is 10 hours!

GDS_Starfury

what the hell are you loading?

btw 6000 minutes is 100 hours.  ;)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mikeck

Quote from: jomni on October 04, 2013, 06:59:37 PM
I've been playing this for awile now. I think it's a great game; very detailed and well done. I have only one real complaint. Scenarios. I can't believe there are no major Soviet v NATO fleet engagements (1985-1989) a la red storm rising. Also no big China v US over Taiwan scenarios. There is one minor scenario but with only a sub, destroyer and a few land based aircraft for the US side, it's small.

This game is begging for Soviet v NATO fleet v fleet scenarios or major convoy actions. Instead all I get is a 1979 scenario, Norwegian patrol boats or 2 sub scenarios.

I guess I expected a vibrant mod community point out these scenarios but so far...not one outside of the community pack. I experimented with the editor but as my game Time is limited, I hate to use it trying to build scenarios. I dunno, I just don't get why the two biggest hypothetical scenarios (US v China in major fleet action)(NATO v Soviet north fleet) or anything similar aren't here. Even one Cold War scenario involving a US carrier battle group. I have no interest in playing Columbia as they attack Venezuela...or Ajerbaijan as they go toe to toe with Russia.

Just convert the Harpoon scenarios and see how they play out in Command.

I'm making a Singapore scenario and I'm quite surprised that arming A-G weapons on F-16s and F-15s takes 6000 minutes as opposed to 60 for A-A. @_@
6000mins is 10 hours!

Ok... Is there some type of converter?
If you mean do it manually, then yes, eventually I will figure out the editor. That takes a lot of time though and the editor instructions seem cryptic and confusing to me. It's not a huge issue really...I'm just a little annoyed that I can't fire up a mission where my Tico has to launch a ton of Sm-2s to protect my carrier from a soviet onslaught
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

jomni

Nefaro

My favorite scenario settings are those set in the 80's, under such circumstances, perhaps followed by some Asian conflicts set in later years.  All hypothetical, of course.  Considering there has been a large amount of those made by the Harpoon community in the past, I suspect we'll see a slew of them show up.  Hopefully whole series.

I was also a bit surprised that there weren't many of them in the vanilla game.  I'd chalk it up to having such a wide-ranging database, complete in one whole set, as the reason.  Since the timeframe available is so much larger than the old Harpoon games, where you had to manually switch out databases for different periods and even areas,  I'm sure the large range of scenarios were more of a quick showcase. 

One concern I have regarding user-created scenarios is tracking them down.  Their official site has some, but I'd like to see all submitted user-created scenarios bundled together in big packs so we don't have to download individual scenarios one-by-one.  I'd suggest even including them in official updates, but that would mean they're liable for troubleshooting them if they had issues which probably isn't something they'd want to worry about.  Nevertheless.. regular consolidation would be great.

Dimitris

This is something we've already been doing, in fact. On the v1 launch, all community scenarios that were not maintained by WS were included on the downloads page. At the time of the v1.01 beta, some of them have been included on WS's LTS (long term support) list and you'll see them on the "official" scenario list.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

MikeGER

Quote from: Baloogan on October 04, 2013, 06:51:12 PM
Quote from: spelk on October 04, 2013, 05:33:25 AM
Just started a write up of the Air Tutorial (which seems popular with folks) - I try to explain the process of creating form up points, and inactive empty missions, so you can schedule the air wing waves onto the target..

Part 1
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=83502

Part 2
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=83580

Great write up spelk!
+1  :)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: spelk on October 04, 2013, 05:33:25 AM
Just started a write up of the Air Tutorial (which seems popular with folks) - I try to explain the process of creating form up points, and inactive empty missions, so you can schedule the air wing waves onto the target..

Part 1
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=83502

Part 2
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=83580

Spelk, really nice job with this tutorial and taking the time to explain your thought process.....was enjoyable and seemed like valuable advice....thanks for creating.

jomni

Why didn't I think of that?  That FORM UP mission is genius.  Because if I let my planes just loiter without any command, they will get picked up easily by the enemy.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: jomni on October 05, 2013, 06:08:40 AM
Why didn't I think of that?  That FORM UP mission is genius.  Because if I let my planes just loiter without any command, they will get picked up easily by the enemy.

It would be great someday if someone puts together a full strategy guide that includes this kinds of tips plus a lot more....sort of like the old Harpoon books.  I think this would help newbies who don't necessarily understand all the mechanics but yet want to play the game.  I am sure there are a lot of hidden gems once you become very familiar.  I know I could use it:)

jomni

Editor question.  How to change a Ship Name if I already added them on the map?

Edit:  Never mind.  The answer is the r key.

MikeGER

Quote from: jomni on October 05, 2013, 06:08:40 AM

... also liked that Form up pooling, maybe letting them circle at min altitude ...if the enemy don't have flying long range radar active and a own OECM plane circling high above the flock can mask them too
(Does OECM only saturate illuminators or does it scramble longer range air surveillance radars too ?)

Dimitris

Both, if its operating frequencies cover both. Some jammers are optimized for one of the two categories only.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

Bismarck

As interesting as Boologan's sandbox videos are, he goes too fast for me.  The manual is a bet dense on creating scenarios.  Could somebody direct me to a simple step-by-step tutorial on scenario creation? Thanks.
Jim Cobb

mikeck

I agree. The manual instructions are very unclear and after awile, it looks like I'm programming in fortran or something.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson