The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 30, 2013, 05:14:19 AM
How do I edit each waypoint so that I can manually enter the speed and altitude I want the planes to fly at?  If I leave it in auto, the planes fly way too high and get smoked by Sea Darts long before they get into range.  If I enter a manual value, the game takes that as a global value so the planes will stick to the manually inputted speed and altitude for the entire flight.  What I would like to know is if there is a way that I can set up a flight path with several waypoints and enter in different speeds and altitudes for each waypoint and then just let the planes do their thing without me having to babysit them constantly?  I can't seem to be able to find any posts on this myself.

Sadly, Speed and Altitude manual intervention is not a per-waypoint thing.  It will persist until you the player changes them.
The Lo-Hi-Lo, Hi-Hi-Hi attack profiles are hard coded in the load out options in the database.

Baloogan

Quote from: jomni on October 30, 2013, 06:38:56 AM
Sadly, Speed and Altitude manual intervention is not a per-waypoint thing.  It will persist until you the player changes them.
The Lo-Hi-Lo, Hi-Hi-Hi attack profiles are hard coded in the load out options in the database.
I do know that speed and altitude per waypoint is the top of the development list right now! There is an ongoing poll at http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3437496 for the most requested feature for the devs to work on.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Well that's disappointing.  With no way to pre plot a flight plan and no easy time-on-target planner either, effectively playing the A-4 strike mission becomes a real micro-management chore.

mikeck

Yeah, I was surprised that I couldn't organize a mission where my planes proceeded at high level with EMCON and then at a preset point, have them drop to low level, then at another, turn on radars...that sort of thing
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yes, I'm very surprised that it's not in there already.  It seems like such a no-brainer to include said feature that I was sure I was just missing something in the interface that allowed me to edit waypoints.  Boggles the mind that they wouldn't include it.

Things I'd like to see:

A context sensitive smart tool icon.  If I'm plotting waypoints for a flight, I'd like to see the black box mouse pointer display things like time of flight to said point, predicted fuel remaining, etc. 

Map options for flight radius based on remaining fuel.  Sea state, winds, weather, etc.

More fine control over engagement protocols, perhaps on a per weapon-basis.  When I first tried the surface ship tutorial, I was surprised to see my ship riffle off all available missiles at the land-based targets that I was meant to practice gunnery on.  It seems kind of silly that I have to disable all AI fire in order for me to be able to use just guns.

They also need a slider for ammo usage.  The AI is way too trigger happy for my tastes.  Seems like they'll fire every available missile, torp, or round at the first target to pop up, leaving them worthless for the rest of the mission.

Time compression cut-out system.  I'd like the ability to select parameters to force the game to drop back to 1:1 time such as when I detect an enemy missile launch.

Finally, I'd like to be able to create a side window listing all my units or groups of units so that I could just click on each assigned unit or group and have the map cursor jump straight to them.

Herman Hum

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 30, 2013, 07:35:14 PM
Time compression cut-out system.  I'd like the ability to select parameters to force the game to drop back to 1:1 time such as when I detect an enemy missile launch.
This one is already possible.  You can set the Message Pop Up window to appear when a weapon is launched.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Silent Disapproval Robot

OK, for clarification I'd like to have the time compression drop to 1:1 without having to implement a pop-up window.

Nefaro

Quote from: Baloogan on October 29, 2013, 06:17:46 AM

I spawn a small land combat simulation, a company of T-72s vs a platoon of Abrams! Also I track a ballistic missile as it flies into Canada!

Poor Canuckistanis. 

Why God, WHY!?

Baloogan

Quote from: Nefaro on October 30, 2013, 09:28:54 PM
Quote from: Baloogan on October 29, 2013, 06:17:46 AM
Part 14 Land Combat and the Ballistic Missiles!
I spawn a small land combat simulation, a company of T-72s vs a platoon of Abrams! Also I track a ballistic missile as it flies into Canada!

Poor Canuckistanis. 

Why God, WHY!?

For a couple of reasons; I wanted to use the built-in Minot AFB's facilities (with actual locations and ICBMs) and I wanted the ICBM to not take too long to hit its target. Plus it seemed that the soviets had set up some Anti-ballistic missile radars up there.  ;D

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 30, 2013, 07:35:14 PM
Finally, I'd like to be able to create a side window listing all my units or groups of units so that I could just click on each assigned unit or group and have the map cursor jump straight to them.

Under Game=>Order-Of-Battle:

Game=>Browse Scenario platforms gives you this useful dialog:

I do really like your ideas Silent Disapproval Robot; I'd recommend posting them in the Matrix games forums; the devs actually do listen! I requested carrier capable Yak-25s for a alternate timeline group of 1950s scenarios where the soviets have about as many CVBGs as the states does.

Kushan

Quote from: Baloogan on October 30, 2013, 10:06:04 PM
For a couple of reasons; I wanted to use the built-in Minot AFB's facilities (with actual locations and ICBMs) and I wanted the ICBM to not take too long to hit its target. Plus it seemed that the soviets had set up some Anti-ballistic missile radars up there.  ;D

Which of course required a few nukes rather then a more limited non-escalating air strike.... ;D
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess I should clarify a bit.  I'd like the ability to group a bunch of units together and create a battle group or tasking and then have a small side window with each group listed (without the lengthy lists of all aircraft available to each platform) that I can click on and have the map hop straight to said group.   

Oh well.  I wanted to get my naval fix and ended up firing up Silent Hunter IV.  I started a new campaign from Dec 8, 1941 with me based out of the Philippines.  I was having a grand old time listening to old timey radio broadcasts (I have a tonne of radio broadcast mods installed.)  I was given a mission to drop supplies off at Formosa and ran into a Japanese invasion fleet headed to the Philippines.  I got a good plot on a Mogami heavy cruiser and a troop transport and got all 4 of my forward facing torpedoes off.  I hit the cruiser with 2 out of 3 shots but one was a dud.  I missed the transport.  I then dodged angry destroyers for the next half hour before they finally left and I was able to get back to periscope depth and finish off the damaged cruiser with another 3 torpedoes.  Then I dropped off my supplies and got a few patrol missions around Formosa.  I sank 3 small fishing boats with the deck gun and was planning to head back to the new base in Java when the game crashed.  My only save was right when I first encountered the Philippines invasion fleet!  DAMN IT!!!!!! 

Baloogan

I'd recommend taking a look at that order of battle window. I think it does what you are interested in.

Tuna

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 31, 2013, 01:23:02 AM

I guess I should clarify a bit.  I'd like the ability to group a bunch of units together and create a battle group or tasking and then have a small side window with each group listed (without the lengthy lists of all aircraft available to each platform) that I can click on and have the map hop straight to said group.   

Oh well.  I wanted to get my naval fix and ended up firing up Silent Hunter IV.  I started a new campaign from Dec 8, 1941 with me based out of the Philippines.  I was having a grand old time listening to old timey radio broadcasts (I have a tonne of radio broadcast mods installed.)  I was given a mission to drop supplies off at Formosa and ran into a Japanese invasion fleet headed to the Philippines.  I got a good plot on a Mogami heavy cruiser and a troop transport and got all 4 of my forward facing torpedoes off.  I hit the cruiser with 2 out of 3 shots but one was a dud.  I missed the transport.  I then dodged angry destroyers for the next half hour before they finally left and I was able to get back to periscope depth and finish off the damaged cruiser with another 3 torpedoes.  Then I dropped off my supplies and got a few patrol missions around Formosa.  I sank 3 small fishing boats with the deck gun and was planning to head back to the new base in Java when the game crashed.  My only save was right when I first encountered the Philippines invasion fleet!  DAMN IT!!!!!!

Bummer on the crash!!!.. Silent Hunter Rocks!

Dimitris

New release of the Community Scenario pack!

http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=2032

Command now has 54 available scenarios!
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

Silent Disapproval Robot

Please start including install instructions for your various downloads.