The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

lol, yeah i can see that - its not a complaint at all and something i just figured id done wrong - after it went wrong i quit to restart, if it happens again tonight ill save it and send it - would it make a difference if i just let the AI decide what to do instead of allocating the weapons myself

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Dimitris on December 11, 2013, 07:57:13 AM
That's possible. Another possibility is that the crew AI also considered using the guns as appropriate for the given loadout & mission. Any chance you can post a save for investigation?

This BTW is one of the thorniest issues WRT aircraft gun employment. For every player who wants his aircraft to keep pummeling the bad guys and return home only empty ("why have the gun if it's not gonna use it?"), you'll find another who accepts nothing but "one pass, haul a$$". And trying to satisfy everyone is, as you well know, the easiest way to fail.
How is trying to satisfy everyone an easy way to fail?  ???

Make it an option - simples. Maybe have a better implementation - but in it's simplest form, if guns are selected as active for the platform on it's current mission, the guy closes and uses guns. If it's not, then he fires his missiles and heads home.  ;D

It's your game. You have far more understanding of the mechanics than I do...but you CAN satisfy both here. There will likely be spring offs to this (like - well if I'm in AtA mode then I want to use guns) - but that becomes another and further implementation of your issue...and even then, if engaged in AtA you can switch the guns on and then turn them off...it's all about options really

Still - that's my simplistic answer. I'm sure it's much more difficult to implement.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Quote from: Dimitris on December 11, 2013, 07:40:12 AM
This is not possible ATM, and it looks like it's one of the hottest requests recently so it has a good chance of being resolved in the near future.

ive found a possible work around - it certainly provides me with the info i needed and that is to select the group, press keypad '9' to switch to unit view as opposed to group view and then i can click on each aircraft and see its weapons loadout

hope that helps for anyone else thats stuck

undercovergeek

and while im here................ instead of just assigning the planes to the targets using shift F1, i actually assigned the weapons to the targets this time also (!!) launch from safety and RTB - what a beautiful sight, i was very proud, right up until the SAM sites took all the bombs down - good for the AI, round of applause

So, men of knowledge, how do i fix this, do i stick a prowler on the limit of the SAM range and have him switch his jammers on? And is there an easily recognisable flag for fire and forget bombs - the walleyes were launched from 10k out, i tried some MK82 bombs - they turned out to be standard 'i fly over you and drop you on the target' bombs - not many of that squadron made it home!

undercovergeek

hey, it worked, ha - i parked a prowler behind the advancing corsairs on the same bearing, switched everything on and the SAMs never saw me coming, scratch an S2 and an S3 sam site

i dont know if its too gamey or something one would know IRL - is it possible to 'know' the enemy is being jammed, am i missing a flag in the game, or do i take for granted that if my prowler is pointing offensive ECM at the enemy then its jammed?

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 12, 2013, 05:29:41 AM
hey, it worked, ha - i parked a prowler behind the advancing corsairs on the same bearing, switched everything on and the SAMs never saw me coming, scratch an S2 and an S3 sam site

i dont know if its too gamey or something one would know IRL - is it possible to 'know' the enemy is being jammed, am i missing a flag in the game, or do i take for granted that if my prowler is pointing offensive ECM at the enemy then its jammed?
I would think that.
Alba gu' brath

Baloogan

Its worth whipping up a simple command scenario and take a look at what each side sees during OECM operations.
I made a (short!) video about OECM ops here: http://baloogancampaign.com/command-documentation/offensive-ecm/ They are kinda tricky to get right!

undercovergeek

watched it - yup thats pretty much what i did - i didnt know you could switch sides however, lol - ill remember that

bboyer66

Can someone tell me if their is a modern day Falkland Islands scenario included?
Has anyone played it out?

JudgeDredd

I believe there's an '82 and a more modern one (one of which I think is available as a downloadable)

I am currently playing through the '82 Malvinas one
Alba gu' brath

Baloogan

This Saturday on the Baloogan Campaign!

Trafalgar: The Rematch! Set in 2017!

Starring Napoleon as the french petite-admiral, along with De Gaulle in person and in carrier!

In the other corner we have Lord Nelson along with the original British bulldog, Winston Churchill!

Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carriers and F-35s!

I'll be creating this scenarios live during the stream from pre-researched theoretical Orders of Battle for the Spanish Armada, French Forces and the pride of the Royal Navy!

England expects that every man will do his D U T Y!

I will also be showing off Geoscape in its very earliest form. In addition a new Command Wiki has been created at http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com so please start creating wiki pages! Everyone can edit!

So please join us at the new stream time at 11:00 AM PST on Saturday! 11:00 AM PST in YOUR time zone

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Baloogan on December 12, 2013, 11:34:12 PM

This Saturday on the Baloogan Campaign!

Trafalgar: The Rematch! Set in 2017!

Starring Napoleon as the french petite-admiral, along with De Gaulle in person and in carrier!

In the other corner we have Lord Nelson along with the original British bulldog, Winston Churchill!

Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carriers and F-35s!

I'll be creating this scenarios live during the stream from pre-researched theoretical Orders of Battle for the Spanish Armada, French Forces and the pride of the Royal Navy!

BRITAIN expects that every man will do his D U T Y!

I will also be showing off Geoscape in its very earliest form. In addition a new Command Wiki has been created at http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com so please start creating wiki pages! Everyone can edit!

So please join us at the new stream time at 11:00 AM PST on Saturday! 11:00 AM PST in YOUR time zone
Fixed that for you!

Independence for Scotland is NOT a foregone conclusion and even if it was, the UK would still consist of Northern Ireland and Wales. Until the Scottish people determine whether they want to be independent or not the residents of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are members of the "English" forces - otherwise known as British Army, British Royal Navy and British Royal Air Force.

Sorry - calling Britain "England" or referring to our forces as "English" is a huge annoyance in the other countries in the UK.

Carry on  :D

Oh - and I should ask. I've not been able to see any of your broadcasts - I presume you have a Youtube channel? - never mind - found it. I also meant to say thanks for doing them. Hopefully they'll help me get over my mental block with the game.
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

its rough calling them English when they dont speak the language properly.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Yskonyn

So, are the English still scared of the Scots? ;)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath