The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimitris

Quote from: mikeck on March 15, 2014, 08:30:38 PM
I love these user made campaigns. These are what should have come with the game. Giving credit where it's due however, the devs intentionally made the game so that people could easily create scenarios.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

:)
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

Silent Disapproval Robot

I wish I could follow what you're doing but you've far surpassed my comfort level.  I'm still struggling with the basics of the game and have pretty much given up on it.

mikeck

Quote from: Dimitris on March 16, 2014, 03:29:56 AM
Quote from: mikeck on March 15, 2014, 08:30:38 PM
I love these user made campaigns. These are what should have come with the game. Giving credit where it's due however, the devs intentionally made the game so that people could easily create scenarios.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

:)

Lol: "charge a man for a fish and he has the right to groan a little"
You guys made a great game...a little touchy in some areas but that's expected in a game this complex.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Skoop

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 16, 2014, 03:41:55 AM
I wish I could follow what you're doing but you've far surpassed my comfort level.  I'm still struggling with the basics of the game and have pretty much given up on it.

I hear you, I was almost headed that way, but I learn a lot by just jumping in and getting blown up.  For me trial and error is really effective.  Keep messing with tutorials and small scenarios,  the matrix forums for the game has a thread about this as a matter a fact it's titled " starter scenarios".  I would like to see more simple threads on tactics that act as a guide for noobs.  There's all kinds of YouTube stuff out there, but sometimes a simple 1 or 2 page PDF might be better to follow for the basics.

Baloogan

I'm thinking of doing a sequence of youtube videos titled "Baloogan Basics" and teach the very basic building blocks of modern warfare. The question is how basic should I get; could you give me a few examples of what questions which come to mind when you play?

Skoop

Quote from: Baloogan on March 16, 2014, 12:33:35 PM
I'm thinking of doing a sequence of youtube videos titled "Baloogan Basics" and teach the very basic building blocks of modern warfare. The question is how basic should I get; could you give me a few examples of what questions which come to mind when you play?
It might seem like paint drying for you but how about starting with describing every detail of the ui and the range arc colors.  I learned a lot of this through trial and error, here's one I haven't guessed at, what does CAV mean ? I assume it's either the flagship or platform for launching AC.
Then just build off that.  Like ASW or ASuW Naval each step in detail.  I know a lot of this is explained in the manual and can be done in the mission editor, but sometimes having it spelled out in detail or even giving your opinion on when to go active or passive and is it better to fire in optimistic, pessimistic, or ignor ambiguity.

Dimitris

Quote from: mikeck on March 16, 2014, 11:17:31 AM

Touche ;) . Going forward you'll probably see more emphasis on content and less feature-cram. Part of the evolutionary cycle.

Considering that there are now ~100 scens available for Command I'd say things are already looking bright.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

mikeck

I believe "Cav" means "cavitation". It means that particular ship is going at a rate of speed where the propeller is making bubbles and thus...Noise.  So if your trying to stay hidden from the other side "Cav" means you probably aren't anymore
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Kushan

Quote from: mikeck on March 16, 2014, 01:13:37 PM
I believe "Cav" means "cavitation". It means that particular ship is going at a rate of speed where the propeller is making bubbles and thus...Noise.  So if your trying to stay hidden from the other side "Cav" means you probably aren't anymore

You would be correct  ;) Cavitation is just going to happen for surface ships, no getting around it. But if you sub is cavitating you either want to slow down or go deeper. The deeper you go, the faster you can go without cavitating, but then your own sonar will be unable to hear surface ships or subs that are above the layer.

Baloogan did a whole show on sub ops a month or so ago, and went into a very detailed explanation of CZ's, Sonar, Cavitation, etc.:

Part 1 - Modern Submarine Operations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNQmDfRMWEM

Part 2 - Towed Array Sonar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj1XMOvMq7A

Part 3 - Convergence Zones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HJB5jaDOSw
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

mikeck

Quote from: Dimitris on March 16, 2014, 01:01:51 PM
Quote from: mikeck on March 16, 2014, 11:17:31 AM

Touche ;) . Going forward you'll probably see more emphasis on content and less feature-cram. Part of the evolutionary cycle.

Considering that there are now ~100 scens available for Command I'd say things are already looking bright.

Lol. I'm just bitchin a little. I've brought up my disappointment with the original scenarios before...BUT since then, there have been so many community scenarios that it doesn't matter. It's a great game and I couldn't be happier

Skoop

Quote from: Kushan on March 16, 2014, 02:22:56 PM
Quote from: mikeck on March 16, 2014, 01:13:37 PM

You would be correct  ;) Cavitation is just going to happen for surface ships, no getting around it. But if you sub is cavitating you either want to slow down or go deeper. The deeper you go, the faster you can go without cavitating, but then your own sonar will be unable to hear surface ships or subs that are above the layer.

Baloogan did a whole show on sub ops a month or so ago, and went into a very detailed explanation of CZ's, Sonar, Cavitation, etc.:

Part 1 - Modern Submarine Operations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNQmDfRMWEM

Part 2 - Towed Array Sonar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj1XMOvMq7A

Part 3 - Convergence Zones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HJB5jaDOSw

Thanks guys, that makes sense.  I'm going to have to break down and watch the balloogan youtoobs, I'm just so stubborn sometimes.  It sound like that's the best place to get tips on improving gameplay and tactics.

mikeck

Quote from: Baloogan on March 14, 2014, 02:54:32 AM

I've whipped up a simple scenario of a possible strike on Crimea by EUCOM and the HW Bush. The objective of the scenario is to destroy the 11th Anti-Submarine Brigade, a S-400 and a Bastion Bn on Crimea.

Please give it a try and tell me what you think! Its my first 'real' scenario. It has AI for the Russians, triggers, events, scoring and a briefing!

Download here!

Baloogan, when I try to load it...my game crashes. Anyone else reported this to you?

Kushan

What version of Command are you using? I believe Baloogans scenario was made with the latest v1.03 Release Candidate. It will crash if your still using v1.02

You can get the latest RC here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3559631&mpage=4
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

mikeck

I was on 1.02 originally, saw that as an issue and upgraded to 1.03. It still won't load. I select it and hit "load" and the screen turns "light" like it does whenever it goes tits up. Then I have to use the task thingy and shut it down from there.

The other scenarios work

Baloogan

Quote from: mikeck on March 18, 2014, 07:51:01 PM
I was on 1.02 originally, saw that as an issue and upgraded to 1.03. It still won't load. I select it and hit "load" and the screen turns "light" like it does whenever it goes tits up. Then I have to use the task thingy and shut it down from there.

The other scenarios work

Hi Mikeck;
I was wondering what build you were running? And, if I had to guess, the crashes you are experiencing are from not having the right database.
If you could get the most up to date version of command from here: http://baloogancampaign.com/command-documentation/patches/ and make sure to overwrite all the files that might fix things.

The file "Command Modern Air Naval Operations\DB\DB3K_409.db3" is important to open up this scenario. :)