The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimitris

Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

MikeGER

...its April fools day ;)... i hope not :)
WW2 would be cool, i would like to have a full blown Battle for Britain 1940 scenario(s)

Staggerwing

Nice!

There's a Final Countdown scenario in Matrix/SSG's Carriers ar War as well. You could call it a teensy bit one-sided...  :D
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mikeck

Quote from: MikeGER on April 01, 2014, 03:23:37 AM
...its April fools day ;)... i hope not :)
WW2 would be cool, i would like to have a full blown Battle for Britain 1940 scenario(s)

April fools jokes aside...I would rather they spend their time on a medieval fantasy version than f'ing WW2. Maybe my little ponies: carrier command
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Dimitris

That's far in the future. First we must finish and release the Babylon-5 DLC.

mikeck

Quote from: Dimitris on April 01, 2014, 09:13:34 AM
That's far in the future. First we must finish and release the Babylon-5 DLC.

Finally!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Dimitris

Silent Disapproval Robot

Is there an alternate download sight?  Google Drive reports that the download quota has been exceeded.

JudgeDredd

I just don't get it. I must be the only one because everyone here seems to love it...but the interface either doesn't show you enough, doesn't "summarise" or shows you WAY too much.

Why do I have to see this...

when I want to view units instead of groups...

And I really don't see the point of this except to declutter the screen...

And when I select a group...why can I not see the fuel and weapons available on the right of the screen?

And when I go to unit view...why can't I see the weapons available without having to select the weapons button and have some other window show up?

And why oh why oh why do I have to resize this screen every single time I open it? I mentioned this on release and I'm still bloody doing it...and tbh, as you are often viewing this window, it's bloody annoying (clearly others are less bothered!)

I fire this up occasionally and within 10-15 minutes close it again. I just think the interface is too much work. Too much information is hidden rather than being on show.

Merged range rings don't show you the specific info you need. Showing all rings without having merge on is just a mess. Where is the option to see the rings for the selected unit when in unit view?

Why is there all that wasted space over on the right? I can see fuel - why can't I see weapons. I see the requirement for the separate window - but I'm talking about "at a glance".

If I carry on feeling like this everytime I fire this up, I can't imagine it'll be too long before I head over to the Trading Post forum.

Can someone please explain to me what you're seeing in this and what I'm missing. I should be all over this. The particular scenario in these screens is one of The Falklands scenarios with the game...right up my street...but I just find the interface confusing and infuriating in places!
Alba gu' brath

Herman Hum

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 03, 2014, 05:18:19 PM

I fire this up occasionally and within 10-15 minutes close it again. I just think the interface is too much work.

No, you are not alone.  I am in the same boat as you and for the same reason.  It is just too much work to fight through the interface to be any fun.  The game is still a chore to play.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

RyanE

Have you tried turning off the range circles.  If you turn them all on in Harpoon you get the same thing.  I only keep a couple on at a time...and even then I tuen them on and off a lot.

emsoy

Hi Dredd,

Okay I'll bump a few earlier feature requests on this, and write at least one new. To summarize, what you're asking for is:

- Ability to Show All/Show Selected/Show None range rings
- Ability to see weapons in Unit Status for single units
- Ability to see weapons in Unit Status for groups
- Ability to see fuel in Unit Status for groups
- Have the Database Viewer remember last position & size

Database guru, sensor model developer, system tester and senior scenario designer in the "Command : Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

JudgeDredd

What I actually want is to turn the range circles off for anything I'm not looking at.

There will be times I want to see my groups range circles - and even use the merged features...but what I constantly want to do is JUST see the circles for the unit I'm looking at - ALL the range circles for the unit I'm looking at. I want to see ALL sensors and ALL weapons circles for the unit
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: emsoy on April 04, 2014, 12:59:47 AM
Hi Dredd,

Okay I'll bump a few earlier feature requests on this, and write at least one new. To summarize, what you're asking for is:

- Ability to Show All/Show Selected/Show None range rings
- Ability to see weapons in Unit Status for single units
- Ability to see weapons in Unit Status for groups
- Ability to see fuel in Unit Status for groups
- Have the Database Viewer remember last position & size

Yes please. I understand in a large group there would be a lot to show in terms of fuel and weapons, but a "summary" - and "at a glance" view of what's there. For example, I have a flight of 3 Harriers on the map. When I select that group, I'd like to see, at a glance, what weapons are available and probably show the fuel for the one with THE LEAST fuel...so I'm looking at the minimum fuel available in the units in the group.

I get that's handy for a non-mixed group...but it's to drag my eye to a "danger"...one of the units (at least) being low on fuel

One other one to add please that kept popping up last night was the position of any windows being open. Can you store the location for future openings?
Alba gu' brath

emsoy

Okay just double-checked and Command 1.03 stores the size and position for all windows, including the database viewer window. So suspect you may be running an outdated version of the sim?
Database guru, sensor model developer, system tester and senior scenario designer in the "Command : Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!