The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

granted but, I dont recall any real weather effects in Harpoon.  maybe sea state but nothing effecting anything above 1 foot above sea level.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Herman Hum

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 08, 2014, 10:39:50 PM
Quote from: Herman Hum on October 08, 2014, 10:18:09 PM
  The player has no choice in the matter.  The artificial limit is 950 knots regardless of the circumstances.  Your pilot family member might decide to fly slower than 950 knots, but he will never be allowed to fly faster in MNO (regardless of what he might have done in real life.)

in the real world he might not be allowed to.  I would submit that a F-15e can hit mach 2.5 on paper.  clean....
loaded up with missiles and bombs it aint coming close to that.  an F-14 can hit roughly the same.  clean...

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 08, 2014, 10:54:45 PM
Quote from: Herman Hum on October 08, 2014, 10:18:09 PM
It matters not the circumstances.  It does not matter if it is 'absolutely necessary', 'in combat', 'merge', or whatever.  The player has no choice in the matter. 

it absolutely does.  any service person has standing orders to not fuckup the equipment they are issued.  of course that are lots of oversights with this when shit hits the fan.  thats beyond the scope on this simulation and thats something you dont like or acknowledge.

Maximum MNO fighter speed on Afterburner

950 kts - F15e Clean (only gas)
950 kts - F15e Fully loaded

950 kts - F-14 Clean
950 kts - F-14 Loaded

950 kts - Shit hits the fan
950 kts - Shit doesn't hit the fan

950 kts - Standing orders not to f***** equipment
950 kts - Standing orders to f***** equipment
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

Herman Hum

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 08, 2014, 11:16:05 PM
better yet, why cant you mod it?

That's exactly the point.  You cannot modify it in any way shape or form with a game like MNO.  That's an arbitrary 950kt limit.  You cannot increase or decrease this limitation.  You can change these types of values and limitations in virtually any other wargame.

If you don't mind the limitation, great.  However, there are others who do not agree with the limit and are forced to accept someone else's perception of reality.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

GDS_Starfury

how soon after its initial release were people able to mod Harpoon?

GDS_Starfury

every game can be modded if your clever about it.   ;)

Herman Hum

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 08, 2014, 11:29:38 PM
how soon after its initial release were people able to mod Harpoon?
The scenario editor was available from day 1 and the dB editor appeared 13 months later, I think.

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 08, 2014, 11:35:53 PM
every game can be modded if your clever about it.   ;)

Some folks have already talked about how they use third-party programs to read and modify the MNO database.  However, this is a contravention to the terms of use issued by Matrix. I think that discussion of such topics is prohibited by the forum rules.

GDS_Starfury

not the scenario editor, the ability to change the game at its roots.
dont be a pussy and hide behind a EULA.  every good game gets modded.
its actually in the best interest of devs to let their game be modded as it adds legs and sales to said game.

Reckall

Quote from: Reckall
Which begs the question: Why Matrix asked to post on SimHQ a review of version 1.01 "pronto!" (made by an obvious fanatic) and thus sinking the original 1.00 review by Herman? Inquiring minds already know the answer.

Because someone

[Like: Matrix]

Complained about Herman's review to SimHQ editors, the editors assessed the complaint, decided it had some merit and then decided to ask for a second opinion.

As for "sinking" reviews: Herman's original review is still posted on simhq.com site, and it appears - surprise, surprise - as the first result of a search on the site

http://www.simhq.com/?s=Command%3A+Modern+Air+%2F+Naval&submit=Search

No one ever said that Matrix's stunt always work. Actually, they mostly backfire (*) :smitten:

(*) Which, ironically, can do MACH 2, but in "Command" has its speed capped at 950kts...

To be honest, I take issue with people assuming that everyone on the Internet are gullible morons who can't check things by themselves and form an opinion.

Still, some people survive by selling goods EXACTLY to this kind of people.

mirth

Quote from: Herman Hum on October 08, 2014, 11:42:29 PM
Some folks have already talked about how they use third-party programs to read and modify the MNO database.  However, this is a contravention to the terms of use issued by Matrix. I think that discussion of such topics is prohibited by the forum rules.

You very well know such topics are prohibited by the forum rules. You've been warned before when you tried to publicly post how to circumvent protections on scenarios in Flashpoint Campaigns.

Quote from: Herman Hum on March 21, 2014, 02:04:56 AM
I've worked out a way to unlock the scenarios so that they can be modified and saved.  If anyone wants the unlocked scenarios so that they can tinker, just drop me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send them your way.

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 22, 2014, 09:32:05 AM
I haven't read through this entire thread to see how and where things began to spiral out of control, but here is what I have to say.

Herman, if you plan on distributing any modified, altered and/or unlocked content against the will/policy/EULA, etc. of the developers and designers of Flashpoint Campaigns through our forums you are placed on notice that doing so will violate the terms of your use of this website.  I am directing you to not facilitate this conduct through our forum.

If I discover that you have transferred files or instructions through our PM system or on our boards, you will be banned.

Thanks for cooperation.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Herman Hum

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 08, 2014, 11:54:48 PM
its actually in the best interest of devs to let their game be modded as it adds legs and sales to said game.
Very true and I couldn't agree with you more.  However, those are the terms for this game.  Let them sit alone in the dark and stroke the unsold CD copies of their games all the while whispering, "My PRECCCCCCCIOUSSSSSSSSS!"

Jarhead0331

So let me get this straight....the last 5 or so pages of this thread are dedicated to someone arguing CMANO is a bad simulation because most aircraft have a maximum speed that is a few knots lower than spec?  In the face of all this simulation does, if that is the biggest thing one can find to bitch about, I'd say the argument is pretty transparent and all can see it for what it really is.

Some people will always try swimming against the current.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 08, 2014, 11:54:48 PM

Abiding by the law is not being a pussy. It's called being smart. Don't be a dumbass and encourage modification that may be in violation of the terms of a EULA. If you encourage that activity again in our forum, you'll be banned.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

C:-)