The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanE

This has to be one of the best free updates around.  I am experiencing 4X to 10X performance in some very complicated scenarios.  Plus all the detailed options for managing missions and AI are truly beyond expectations...that's the good (very good) side.

The downside is the game is getting ever-increasingly more complicated to play.  It has become hard to figure out the effect of a lot of the options without going through a lot of trial and error.  The devs have done a masterful job of shielding the player from some of the complexity under the hood.  Some of that complexity is now starting to bleed through to the user, especially the casual user.

In fact, Command has been heading in this direction.  Now, its is even more so not a game for the casual player.  You have to be pretty dedicated or have some deep knowledge of naval warfare hardware and tactics to play medium to large scenarios.

jomni

RyanE

Ha!  Not quite there yet.  But like WITP, its the smaller more manageable scenarios where the game really shines.  You have the same attitude with some players that think bigger is better.  I am worried it is heading that way.

The big difference from WITP is the scenario editor is a breeze to use for building manageable scenarios.  Its that capability that keeps it on top, for now.

jomni

I thought for large scenarios, you can just plot pre-canned missions and the AI will do everything for you? It's the same AI for the AI opponent.

RyanE

But mission building is becoming a lot more complicated.  The number of options on the surface appears to be great.  But if you don't know what you are doing, you can easily get lost in those options.

jomni

Quote from: RyanE on March 15, 2016, 09:15:14 PM
But mission building is becoming a lot more complicated.  The number of options on the surface appears to be great.  But if you don't know what you are doing, you can easily get lost in those options.
That's true. The templates are a becoming groggy.

OJsDad

That's the problem with updates and DLC, after so many, the basic manuals really need to be rewritten, instead of making the users try and figure out which features still work and what changes have been made.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

RyanE

I actually don't have an issue with the manuals as much as I normally would.  There is a ton of information on the forums and its relatively easy to find.  But the shear number of options available just screams for a checklist on missions.

Dimitris

Let's discuss the complexity again the next time that someone posts something like "I'd like an option on the Mission Editor to XXX instead of the normal YYY" ;)
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

RyanE

And that is my point.  I read the Command forums and see people asking for options left and right.  Then those same people report bugs that are really them not understanding what they are doing.

Dimitris

And the alternative is...? Re-hardcode half of the options and then have everyone whine until the Second Coming that their pet option is gone?
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Dimitris on March 18, 2016, 02:54:31 PM
And the solution is...? Re-hardcode half of the options and then have everyone whine until the Second Coming that their pet option is gone?

I promise that when I finally get to play the Linux version I will not complain about the options. :)

(Let me know when you need a beta tester)

Toonces

In the meantime, you can play Huneypot.   :P
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Huw the Poo

That's HuniePop, actually!  And what better preparation for controlling nuclear-equipped military assets is there than trying to keep a multitude of women happy?