Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Promo

Started by mirth, May 13, 2013, 07:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyebiter

Arctic Blast

It wasn't bad. The problem is that it follows the usual Joss Whedon formulaic dialog.

INSERT COMEDIC JAB HERE...comment...comment...comment...WITTY BANTER HERE...action scene...AMUSING COMMENT...driving scene...mention heroes who will never appear in this show...action scene...HAHA! MORE LAFFS!

It kinda fell flat for me.

MetalDog

I watched not knowing what to expect and wasn't disappointed.  Unfortuantely, I don't remember being terribly excited about anything either.  I want it to be good.  I'm going to give it a few episodes.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

I was 45 minutes in and all I could think of was "this is Alphas with better production values and better-looking agents"

You could tag out Rising Tide for Red Flag
The unlikely / confused 'hero' who is doing things he doesn't understand, and the protagonists of the show need to 'save' him
The conflicted leader of the team trying to pull conflicting personalities together, who has his own secrets that he doesn't even know
Enigmatic 'other groups' that show up without a whole lot of definition to (presumably) be filled out later

I still have hopes for a better show, but I'm afraid that it's going to go for a "big world-saving splash" to make the first season seem über-cool, but then what do you do to top it?

I'm hoping that if it makes it to season 2 that Cobie Smulders comes over full-time.

I suspect the Disney mothership is going to keep it on the air as weekly TV reminder that there's a series of movie franchises behind it.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Centurion40

I haven't seen it all the way through, but it was better than I expected- after having seen a number of promos, I expected boring weak shit (my expectations were extremely low), and it wasn't complete shit.  It was somewhat weak, but it wasn't completely boring.

I never watched Alphas, so I can't make that comparison.

I liked how they tied it into the Marvel Universe, in the wake of the Avengers battle in New York against Loki and the aliens.  I liked how they explained Coulson's presence, and I liked the banter of Couslon and Hill (Smolders).  I like the agent's gadget in the opening scenes. But, IMHO, the jury is out on the rest of it.
Any time is a good time for pie.

OJsDad

It was pretty much what I expected.  This is basically done the same as the recent Marvel movies.  Keep in mind, this is targeted to include a younger audience and its going to be as hard hitting and dark as some shows we like to watch, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, SOA, etc....

There is hints of a bigger story line, but I think if they keep it simple and a lot of stand alone episodes, then this could be good.  If they go for the 'have to watch every episode' be story arc, then I don't think it will last. 

Like Brant, I think we could seen a number of lead up and post movie ties ins.  With the new Thor movie coming out in November, we will know soon enough. 

I also think this may be a vehicle to get some lesser Mavel hero's and villians introduced to the public than being able to give them their own movie. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

I'm fine if it's being targeted to a younger audience. I was comfortable letting my kids watch Avengers, I'd like it if they could watch this as well.

I'll be checking it out tonight.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

I finally saw the priemier. It was pretty much what I expected and wanted. I'm not sure about making Coulson into a badass. The thing that made him work so well in the film was his matter-of-fact, get the job done attitude. I love Clark Gregg and how he has taken a throwaway character and made him into a significant part of the Marvel Universe. However the Agent Coulson of the show is not the one we know from the movies. I need to adjust to that still.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Centurion40

Quote from: mirth on September 29, 2013, 05:20:21 PM
I finally saw the priemier. It was pretty much what I expected and wanted. I'm not sure about making Coulson into a badass. The thing that made him work so well in the film was his matter-of-fact, get the job done attitude. I love Clark Gregg and how he has taken a throwaway character and made him into a significant part of the Marvel Universe. However the Agent Coulson of the show is not the one we know from the movies. I need to adjust to that still.

Tell me mirthie, did you watch any of the "Marvel One-Shots"?

There was one where Coulson was 100% badass mofo who kicked ass and took names.

mirth

Quote from: Centurion40 on September 30, 2013, 08:12:58 AM
Quote from: mirth on September 29, 2013, 05:20:21 PM

Tell me mirthie, did you watch any of the "Marvel One-Shots"?

There was one where Coulson was 100% badass mofo who kicked ass and took names.

Haven't seen that. I'll have to check it out.

Centurion40

mirth

Staggerwing

Awesome!

Is there some kind of list of these just so I don't waste hours rooting around on YouTube?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

MetalDog

Can't wait to look at those One Shots.

Saw the second episode.  Too early to tell, but, it looks like ABC and Marvel are making an entree into tween television.  Everyone seems to be a stock character straight out of central casting.  The maverick agent.  The nerd science types with wholesome romance in their future.  The reluctant veteran.  And the hot, sketchy, chick with the heart of gold.  Coulson provides the Zen attitude and glue that holds it together.  It's all good if everyone acts their roles well.  If not, it will be rote and wooden and I will stop watching.  Add to that, the bad Wonder Years knock off that follows it and the Malin Ackerman (non) comedy after that, and that's what leads me to think that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is made for a family audience.  That's not a bad thing, but I don't have any kids that age and I want to see somethiing a little more edgy.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob