Started by solops, April 23, 2024, 03:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

I found it interesting that steam needs devs to declare A.I. derived content:

" Originally posted by Fyst:
As required by steam at the bottom of the store page:

AI GENERATED CONTENT DISCLOSURE
The developers describe how their game uses AI Generated Content like this:

This game used AI to help quickly iterate through designs for some UI elements using our own artwork as a baseline.

This statement applies to that particular image (it was seeded from own artwork and then a lot of hand painting as well.) It's also not complete as we need to include more ships from Vasari, Advent, and some other touch ups before the next major update this summer.

Edit for clarification: the ships and background elements and some of the character elements have zero Ai generation."
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 01, 2024, 09:54:52 AM...and let me guess...it will include some kind of an update that will not be provided to those who bought early access on Epic. Stardock and Wardell screwed everyone over like this with Gal Civ IV.
Oh, hell. I just bought Sins2 on Epic and NOW I find out about this?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on May 02, 2024, 12:10:49 AMI found it interesting that steam needs devs to declare A.I. derived content:

" Originally posted by Fyst:
As required by steam at the bottom of the store page:

AI GENERATED CONTENT DISCLOSURE
The developers describe how their game uses AI Generated Content like this:

This game used AI to help quickly iterate through designs for some UI elements using our own artwork as a baseline.

This statement applies to that particular image (it was seeded from own artwork and then a lot of hand painting as well.) It's also not complete as we need to include more ships from Vasari, Advent, and some other touch ups before the next major update this summer.

Edit for clarification: the ships and background elements and some of the character elements have zero Ai generation."

These kind of disclosures will become more common as the use of AI spreads. Laws will also be adopted requiring these disclosures. I've started using AI in my law practice and some courts are requiring as part of their revised rules to require disclosure when papers are submitted that were prepared or drafted using AI technologies.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 01, 2024, 09:54:52 AM...and let me guess...it will include some kind of an update that will not be provided to those who bought early access on Epic. Stardock and Wardell screwed everyone over like this with Gal Civ IV.

I thought I read on steam one of the developers indicate people who bought on epic prior to the release announcement yesterday would 99% likely get a steam key.  Of course, he didn't say 100%:)

Destraex

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 02, 2024, 04:35:37 AM

I thought I read on steam one of the developers indicate people who bought on epic prior to the release announcement yesterday would 99% likely get a steam key.  Of course, he didn't say 100%:)
That would be amazing, but hard to believe given the whole point of Epic funding development so people to use their platform. I guess Epic could not stop them but I assume it would be against the spirit of the agreement. Besides, how would they distribute the keys? I guess by linking your epic account to sins website directly.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on May 02, 2024, 08:09:45 AM

That would be amazing, but hard to believe given the whole point of Epic funding development so people to use their platform. I guess Epic could not stop them but I assume it would be against the spirit of the agreement. Besides, how would they distribute the keys? I guess by linking your epic account to sins website directly.

This wouldn't be the first time a game was on a different platform (or moved to Steam) and then keys were given out for Steam so don't suspect it's a problem, although could be work on their end.  All I can say is a developer within the Steam forum stated it was their goal to provide the keys to people who bought prior to May 1st and was 99% sure it would happen.  Guess we will see.

Destraex

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 02, 2024, 09:58:46 AM
Quote from: Destraex on May 02, 2024, 08:09:45 AM

This wouldn't be the first time a game was on a different platform (or moved to Steam) and then keys were given out for Steam so don't suspect it's a problem, although could be work on their end.  All I can say is a developer within the Steam forum stated it was their goal to provide the keys to people who bought prior to May 1st and was 99% sure it would happen.  Guess we will see.

You're making me very happy right now :)

solops

Returned Sins2 the other day and got a refund. No Galciv4 screw job for me.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Destraex

Destraex

A recent game I played.... lots of changes and the game feels great now.

solops

Quote from: Destraex on May 04, 2024, 07:30:48 PMWhat happened with galciv?
See post #11
Hard to imagine anyone making such a poor business decision.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: solops on May 05, 2024, 02:09:04 PM
See post #11

Guess didn't see a huge deal myself.  Originally purchased in 2021 for $29.99, with a coupon that had $10 off.  People that own the Epic version can upgrade to Supernova for $15.99.  That brings my total cost to $45.98.  Supernova version on steam for the base version is $49.99, which my total investment is less for the same thing.  Even if didn't have the coupon, I guess my cost would have been around $55.  So at worst case $5 more for playing the game much earlier than Steam release.  At least for me, a non issue based on the cost and ability to play during early access. Understand others may not feel same way. but nothing that left a huge bad tastt in my mouth.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 05, 2024, 02:37:55 PM
See post #11

Guess didn't see a huge deal myself.  Originally purchased in 2021 for $29.99, with a coupon that had $10 off.  People that own the Epic version can upgrade to Supernova for $15.99.  That brings my total cost to $45.98.  Supernova version on steam for the base version is $49.99, which my total investment is less for the same thing.  Even if didn't have the coupon, I guess my cost would have been around $55.  So at worst case $5 more for playing the game much earlier than Steam release.

That's fair when you break it down like that. However, it would have been really nice if Stardock had thanked early adopters on Epic by giving them a key on Steam. After all, the Supernova version is not available at all on Epic, and as far as I understand, the Epic version is no longer receiving updates. Thus Epic owners are forced to buy on steam if they want to experience the most up to date supported version. Stardock easily could have turned this into a big win rather than rubbing a lot of players the wrong way.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 05, 2024, 02:44:29 PM
See post #11

Guess didn't see a huge deal myself.  Originally purchased in 2021 for $29.99, with a coupon that had $10 off.  People that own the Epic version can upgrade to Supernova for $15.99.  That brings my total cost to $45.98.  Supernova version on steam for the base version is $49.99, which my total investment is less for the same thing.  Even if didn't have the coupon, I guess my cost would have been around $55.  So at worst case $5 more for playing the game much earlier than Steam release.

That's fair when you break it down like that. However, it would have been really nice if Stardock had thanked early adopters on Epic by giving them a key on Steam. After all, the Supernova version is not available at all on Epic, and as far as I understand, the Epic version is no longer receiving updates. Thus Epic owners are forced to buy on steam if they want to experience the most up to date supported version. Stardock easily could have turned this into a big win rather than rubbing a lot of players the wrong way.

But even if required to buy, still about same cost as people who buy directly on steam.  I understand might have been nice to get a steam key, but don't think they ever promised anything like that so I guess I just assume risk when I knowingly buy into games early.  Certainly respect others feel differently, but for me not really    a huge deal as any minor extra cost i chalk up to playing much earlier (around 2 years) than others.  In sins case, they have stated strong desire to provide the steam key, so let's see what they do this time.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 05, 2024, 02:51:02 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 05, 2024, 02:44:29 PM
See post #11

But even if required to buy, still about same cost as people who buy directly on steam.  I understand might have been nice to get a steam key, but don't think they ever promised anything like that so I guess I just assume risk when I knowingly buy into games early.  Certainly respect others feel differently, but for me not really    a huge deal as any minor extra cost i chalk up to playing much earlier (around 2 years) than others.  In sins case, they have stated strong desire to provide the steam key, so let's see what they do this time.

They didn't promise that, but they also didn't put Epic buyers on notice that the Steam version was going to have a major game changing update that the Epic version was not going to receive nor that the Epic version was going to be, in essence, abandoned once released on Steam. This is what really pissed me off the most. Had I known, I would not have bought on Epic at all.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog