What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vyshka

I finished American Gods this week while in Raleigh, and also read the short story The Butcher of Anderson Station. I am still working on Playing the World. I also started The Martian on the flight home yesterday.

Staggerwing

Quote from: vyshka on July 12, 2014, 12:16:31 PM
I also started The Martian on the flight home yesterday.

This one?  The Martian

It's in my Kindle backlog. How's it so far? Should I bump it up the list?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Just about to start the Imperial War Museum's Photographic History of WWI. Which I picked up in London when I was there...in 2003 :/

Better late than never, should be a quick, leisurely read. After that it is Enemy on the Euphrates: The British Occupation of Iraq and the Great Arab Revolt (1914-1921) by Ian Rutledge.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Am now over halfway through Winter's Heart, the ninth book in The Wheel of Time.  The pace is noticeably slower, but still not dragging nearly as much as I feared/remembered -- and I'm enjoying it in any case.  :) 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

OJsDad

Read Invasion California, the sequel to Invasion Alaska.  Better than the first, but still questionable on the story line. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Martok on July 13, 2014, 11:33:08 AM
Am now over halfway through Winter's Heart, the ninth book in The Wheel of Time.  The pace is noticeably slower, but still not dragging nearly as much as I feared/remembered -- and I'm enjoying it in any case.  :)

Momentum! You have it!  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Just received word from my friend Marie Brennan, mentioned upthread, that her first "Memoirs of Lady Trent" novel, The Natural History of Dragons, is a finalist (along with Neil Gaiman and a few other authors) for this year's World Fantasy Award.

For those who don't know, this is one of the sci-fi fantasy awards trifecta along with the Hugo and Nebula Awards; the main difference being this is only for the fantasy genre. It's also the one she always wanted most since she started writing (not that she'd turn down a serious chance to win one of the others of course. ;) Her career basically started with winning the Isaac Asimov Short Story Award one year long ago.)

I am no kidding so happy for her I'm close to crying. We grew up as baby author-siblings together, and even if I haven't made it and never will, I (just about ;) ) don't care as long as she's made it.  O:-)

Go little author-sis, gooooo! {sniffle!}

(...I guess I should clarify, not actually her brother, we just learned writing novels together.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

vyshka

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 12, 2014, 01:15:46 PM

This one?  The Martian

It has been decent so far, but I can't say it is good enough yet to warrant a jump in the queue.

airboy

Finished King David's Spaceship.  Finished a modern Catholic apolgetic (something that explains Catholic theology).

JasonPratt

^^ Kreeft? I usually like his work and I know he writes a lot on the topic.

Martok

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 13, 2014, 08:40:43 PM
Just received word from my friend Marie Brennan, mentioned upthread, that her first "Memoirs of Lady Trent" novel, The Natural History of Dragons, is a finalist (along with Neil Gaiman and a few other authors) for this year's World Fantasy Award.

For those who don't know, this is one of the sci-fi fantasy awards trifecta along with the Hugo and Nebula Awards; the main difference being this is only for the fantasy genre. It's also the one she always wanted most since she started writing (not that she'd turn down a serious chance to win one of the others of course. ;) Her career basically started with winning the Isaac Asimov Short Story Award one year long ago.)

I am no kidding so happy for her I'm close to crying. We grew up as baby author-siblings together, and even if I haven't made it and never will, I (just about ;) ) don't care as long as she's made it.  O:-)

Go little author-sis, gooooo! {sniffle!}

(...I guess I should clarify, not actually her brother, we just learned writing novels together.)
Cool news!  I wish her luck! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

vyshka

This one?  The Martian

So I finished this yesterday (book 20 for the year). I'd bump it in the queue if you are not reading something else you really enjoy.

I am still working on Playing at the World, and the next fiction book I have started is The Crystal Shard by R.A. Salvatore. I've never really read D&D fiction before so we'll see how it goes. It is the 1st book in the Icewind Dale trilogy and I loved the game, so hopefully the books are good as well.

W8taminute

I just finished book 15 in the Horus Heresy series: "The First Heretic"

Now onto "Prospero Burns"
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MetalDog

Quote from: vyshka on July 17, 2014, 04:49:49 PM

This one?  The Martian

So I finished this yesterday (book 20 for the year). I'd bump it in the queue if you are not reading something else you really enjoy.

I am still working on Playing at the World, and the next fiction book I have started is The Crystal Shard by R.A. Salvatore. I've never really read D&D fiction before so we'll see how it goes. It is the 1st book in the Icewind Dale trilogy and I loved the game, so hopefully the books are good as well.

I just recently (in the last six weeks) re-read Icewind Dale.  I enjoyed it.  It read very much like a D&D adventure.  And the characters are good, if a bit stock.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

As usual for stories originally based on RPGs, the Icewind Dale characters get better as they go, not only within the trilogy but on beyond it, too.