What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^Ooh that's a good one.

For me, The Red Knight by Miles Cameron.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Lot's of heavy reading going on around these parts.  I'm kicking it with Chess for Dummies.  All of the other chess books were checked out of the local public library.  :(

mirth

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on December 31, 2014, 05:40:20 PM
Quote from: mirth on December 31, 2014, 11:42:50 AM
Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal

http://www.amazon.com/Neptunes-Inferno-U-S-Navy-Guadalcanal/dp/0553385127

Great book!

It was a Christmas present to myself. I'm just getting into, but I can tell it's going to be an excellent read.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

undercovergeek

christmas amazon splurge -

War of the Roses Trinity - Part II

Valour - Book II of the Faithful and the Fallen

Eye of the World - Wheel of Time part 1

Arc Light

When Christ and his Saints slept

Toonces

Whoa- lot's of good books here!

@ Gus:  Red Knight was very good.  I didn't quite finish it, but I plan to re-read it very soon.  What I read was excellent.

@ Mirth: Neptune's Inferno I did finish and it is very, very good.  You'll enjoy it.

@ UCG:  I didn't read the Christ and Saints book, but I did read on of Penman's other books about the Welsh wars.  I think it was book 3 of the series.  I read about half and then put it down because I want to read the whole series from the beginning.  What I read was excellent.  Here There Be Dragons it was called, I believe. 

@ Shelldrake: If you like Ralph Peters, I very highly recommend Red Army...one of the best war books I've ever read.

I have a few books going right now: The Plantagenets for non-fiction, and The Crown in the Heather for historical fiction.  I'm also wrapping up Quo Vadis on my Kindle...at the part where the Christians are being fed to the lions in the Colosseum.  Gruesome stuff!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

I'm going to pick up Neptune's Inferno at some point...it sounds too good not to.

Yeah Toonces Red Knight is good so far, even though I have read only a handful of pages...like mirth said I can tell this one will be very good just from the intro. At 600+ pages in tiny font, I am going to have to break it up as well.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

Speaking of the Pacific, Eagle Against the Sun: The American War With Japan should be here this Saturday. I've been on a WWII Pacific kick lately. I'm about to watch Tora! Tora! Tora! again.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I didn't care for Eagle, but a really good WW2 book I read (twice) is The Rising Sun by Toland.  I got a hardcover copy pretty cheap several years ago.

The book is written from the Japanese perspective, and is simply awesome.  Heck, I'm looking at it right now.  Maybe I'll read it again.

I'd say Rising Sun, Shattered Sword, and the two First Team books by Lundstrom are my favorite WW2 books.

http://www.amazon.com/Rising-Sun-Decline-Japanese-1936-1945/dp/0812968581/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420159181&sr=1-1&keywords=the+rising+sun
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mirth

Shattered Sword is brilliant. A must read.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Quote from: Toonces on January 01, 2015, 07:43:50 PM
I didn't care for Eagle, but a really good WW2 book I read (twice) is The Rising Sun by Toland.  I got a hardcover copy pretty cheap several years ago.

The book is written from the Japanese perspective, and is simply awesome.  Heck, I'm looking at it right now.  Maybe I'll read it again.

I'd say Rising Sun, Shattered Sword, and the two First Team books by Lundstrom are my favorite WW2 books.

http://www.amazon.com/Rising-Sun-Decline-Japanese-1936-1945/dp/0812968581/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420159181&sr=1-1&keywords=the+rising+sun

You just cost me another $8.79!  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on January 01, 2015, 07:46:26 PM
Shattered Sword is brilliant. A must read.

Added to wishlist!  :D
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

You all are making my reading list look pathetic right now. 

Pinetree

Quote from: Pinetree on December 25, 2014, 04:12:38 AM
Just started Sacrifice - book 5 of the Red Gambit series by Colin Gee.
I've just finished this. I have to say that, this is, without a doubt, the best Alt-History series I've ever read. The author really knows his stuff, the setting is plausible, the oobs and doctrines of the respective armies seem spot on, the dialogue is excellent and doesn't feel forced, and the characters feel like real people. Turtledove isn't even in the same league as this guy. He mixes intelligence intrigue, brutal in-your-face combat, and high strategy sessions with aplomb. He's also not afraid to kill off major characters so it makes the battle scenes that much more tense. Especially since a lot of deaths and wounds in the books are pretty horrific.

My only gripes are that the maps are not very clear on the kindle and, with such a vast array of characters, you sometimes forget who's who or done what (Not so much the famous historical ones, however).  The author recognises this by making the maps and graphics available on his web site, which is ok I suppose, and you can purchase companion biographies books that accompany each volume. I think they're only a couple bucks a piece. I haven't tried them yet but I might have to.

The author is a wargamer too so all the maps seem to be made with wargaming in mind.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."