What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

The entire Airboy & Skywolf comic run from the 1980s to early 1990s has been collected into 3 large paperback graphic novels.  I've received the first one and ordered the last 2.  Quality on Volume 1 was excellent.

See: http://www.amazon.com/Airboy-Archives-1-Timothy-Truman/dp/1613779003/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1437359270&sr=1-1&keywords=airboy&pebp=1437359270711&perid=1K0784Q8YX27P7C30VPD

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Ubercat

Just started Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. It's the first of a trilogy that my best friend liked very much and I've inherited them all from him. I can't figure out yet if the setting is far future earth or an alien planet. It takes place in a large, ancient city and there are many races. So far the non human ones seem to be Earth animal species uplifted to sentience.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

vyshka

This weekend I read Ernest Cline's new book Armada.

Bison

I caught up on about 10 back issues of Detective Comics.  It's really the best of all the Batman series in print.

airboy

I have just about finished (audio) "How to Survive a Horror Movie"
http://www.amazon.com/Survive-Horror-Movie-Seth-Grahame-Smith/dp/1594741794/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437498694&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+survive+a+horror+movie

My wife watches these movies (I have seen very few).  All of the advice was "dead on."  It is very funny.

For example - the most deadly sin in a horror movie is disbelief.  If you disbelieve that you are in the horror movie you will suffer certain death.
Another example - you are in an evil house.  The room reverses gravity.  How to escape?  Simple - sing the horrid Lionel Richie song "Dancing on the Ceiling" and enthusiastically prance around.  The evil house will throw up - ejecting you from the building and thus you will survive.

But sorry Longblade - the author has contempt for anyone killed by Zombies or animated dolls (think Chucky).  He thinks anyone killed by these monsters is merely pathetic.

JasonPratt

Slow moving zombies, maybe. Fast moving zombies (even without Evil Dead powers)...?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Just started reading The Life of Belisarius by Lord Mahon.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Greybriar

I am currently reading Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

I just finished "The Change: Tales of Downfall and Rebirth (Change Series) a collection of short stories and novellas set in the Dies the Fire world of S.M. Stirling.

This was an unusual collection for me because I like d 75% of the stories in a 500+ page collection.  I read the thing in a week.

SM Stirlings world is a post-apocalyptic world where there is a change in physics where high energy principles (steam engines, electricity, gunpowder) all stop working.  Really well executed idea.  His first book in the series is "Dies the Fire" which is excellent.

Gusington

About to start Justinian: The Last Roman Emperor by GP Baker, written 1931. The last book I read was Belisarius - The Last Roman Emperor by Lord Mahon, written in 1829 (!!!) It was not so readable. Hoping 100 years makes a difference.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Falklands: Voyage to War by James Barrington.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus