What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

Just ordered Robert Massie's "Peter The Great: His Life And World" and Peter Wilson's "Europe's Tragedy: A New History Of The Thirty Years War".

About halfway through Massie's "Castles of Steel" book which I am really enjoying.

For those who recommended Massie's books here, thanks!
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Gusington

The Peter the Great book by Massie is absolutely flawless. If you have not read his Dreadnought then stop whatever you're doing and grab a copy immediately!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

WallysWorld

Quote from: Gusington on December 30, 2015, 09:35:23 PM
The Peter the Great book by Massie is absolutely flawless. If you have not read his Dreadnought then stop whatever you're doing and grab a copy immediately!
Actually I did complete "Dreadnought" before returning to "Castles of Steel". Both are very good books.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

MetalDog

Which of the two Massie's covers the naval build up to WWI?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Silent Disapproval Robot

I just finished The Battle for Hell's Island, an account of SBD dive bomber pilots during the Guadalcanal campaign.  Good read and gave me lots of ideas for Wings of Glory scenarios (and an urge to try to come to grips with WITP again).  I started re-reading Bomber Command by Max Hastings as a form of therapy after the slaughter my RAF bombers suffered in my PBEM game of Wing Leader with Bart.

Just starting This Book is Full of Spiders as I've been hitting the WWII air war history books pretty hard lately so I figured a little light brain candy was in order.

WallysWorld

Quote from: MetalDog on December 30, 2015, 10:01:53 PM
Dreadnought.

Lots of politics in the book with great details of German-Anglo relations from the late 1800's to 1914.

Airborne Rifles

+1

Dreadnought

Mr. Bigglesworth

Rats, ive been circling his books like a shark based on the reviews. Now i might not wait.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

MetalDog

Quote from: WallysWorld on December 30, 2015, 11:39:22 PM
Dreadnought.

Lots of politics in the book with great details of German-Anglo relations from the late 1800's to 1914.

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on December 30, 2015, 11:40:40 PM

Dreadnought

Thank you gentlemen.

Greybriar

I am currently reading X by Sue Grafton.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

Kev do not wait on Massie. You'll kick yourself harder once you do start.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I actually was able to go into a B&N a few days ago (the wife even went) and I saw several nice things, but the prices were way, way over the top. A five-book collection of the larger Game of Thrones paperbacks was selling for $90, for chrissakes, where individually they were something like $19.95. How is that a deal? Why bother with a box set?

Also saw a really cool GoT book of history, but it was $50. Though it was pretty it wasn't that pretty.

I did buy several books through my Kindle. The one that's held my attention is Rain: Rise of the Living Dead. Yeah yeah, another Zombie book, but it's written well enough that it goes quickly. I'm already halfway done with it.

Also bought Tiger Tracks and The Last Panther, as well as The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, Project: Return Fire, and The Victory That Wasn't.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Re-reading The Silmarillion.  I'll probably move on to LotR after that.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 31, 2015, 12:07:59 PM
I The Grasshopper Lies Heavy,

If you purchased it thinking it was about the 'book within a book' that anchors Phillip K. Dick's 'The Man in the High Castle' be forewarned that the former has nothing to do with the latter.  :(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys