What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hofstadter

Quote from: Barthheart on January 04, 2016, 09:13:35 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 04, 2016, 08:02:10 AM
Quote from: Hofstadter on January 03, 2016, 06:44:50 AM
D day, the battle for normandy by anthony beevor

I just finished reading this book a couple of months ago...it's an outstanding read.

Know any good games about the subject?   ;)

Depends on what type youre after. Hex and counter, tactical, fps.

Also got a couple of other books by him as well. Stalingrad, ww2 and ardennes 1944
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Gusington

Bes if you want I can check my Library of Gus and forward to you, no charge.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Quote from: mirth on January 03, 2016, 06:56:26 PM
Those Clancy books are fun as long as you skim them for the action parts. There's lots of unnecessary filler in his later books. It kinda reminds me of Stephen King, the more popular and well known he became the less anyone dared to edit him.
David Weber suffers from the same problem (which I've been forcibly reminded of while currently reading Hell's Foundations Quiver).  I love his work, but his tendency to interrupt conversations and/or action scenes with 5-10 pages of exposition regarding some new/secret weapon/plan/whatever drives me absolutely insane sometimes.  :tickedoff:  I really wish they'd rein him in a bit, if only for that reason. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

besilarius

Gus, thank you.  Let me hold on that for a bit, though.  May be some traveling coming up, and I'd hate to just hold your book without the chance of getting into it.
That's a very generous offer.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

Sure thing...I would hate to see someone try to find it at a library or fork over that kind of money when they don't have to.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

About to start Japan's Imperial Army - Its Rise and Fall, 1853-1945, by Edward J. Drea.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Currently reading: In Mortal Combat: Korea, 1950-1953 by John Toland
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

Currently reading the four books of The Wingfeather Chronicles or something like that, lent by my brother who received them several months ago on his birthday and has just now gotten around to reading and finishing them himself.

They have ALL THE WHIMSY ALL OF IT. Moreso than I usually care to stomach. But the whimsy is icing (lots of icing) on an occasionally dark story, and the author is a fellow Tennessean (or anyway he and his family live near Nashville now) who has succeeded a lot better than I in writing a popular fantasy series so... ;)

I'm enjoying it well enough. Bro and I both think it'd be a little too dark (ironically enough, considering Narnia is less than a 100th as whimsical) for the nieces yet. Actually made me want to go back and read the first part of The Eye of the World while hanging out at the hospital with Dad for a few days, which I did.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Dammit Carl!

Trench: A History of Trench Warfare on the Western Front by Stephen Bull awaits my hot, little hands.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

I honestly don't know and don't have the book handy at the moment.  But it's from Osprey Publishing is wonderfully illustrated and feels sturdy for a paperback type.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Have just begun re-reading Brandon Sanderson's fantastic Mistborn trilogy.  Am curious to see what clues I pick up on now that I know how it goes (although it's been a few years, so my memory's a bit foggy at this point). 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Staggerwing

Quote from: Martok on January 18, 2016, 06:27:10 AM
Have just begun re-reading Brandon Sanderson's fantastic Mistborn trilogy.  Am curious to see what clues I pick up on now that I know how it goes (although it's been a few years, so my memory's a bit foggy at this point).

I've never heard of that series. Now I'll have to add it to the crushing weight already on my virtual nightstand. Thanks.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys