What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

And for the love of God, PLEASE don't read anything by Harry Turtledove. He has great ideas but develops characters in his stories like cardboard cut-outs in third-grader plays. His books are basically shiny Maaco paint jobs over a thoroughly rusted-through junker POS car - looks awesome at a distance, smells like cat vomit and old people farts close up. Ugh.

MetalDog

I'm with you on that, B_C.  The only Turtledove book I ever read was Guns of the South.  Upon finishing, I decided I wouldn't read another of Turtledove's books.  And I haven't.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

avrotim

I've given up on Turtledove as well.  His series never end, and he keeps killing off characters for no reason.  The only book I liked was "Ruled Britannia", which, while very long, was at least just one book.
currently working on: Crowbar, Thunder in the East, Attack of the 50 Ft Colossi
Currently building: nothing

avrotim

Weber seems to be going the same route with the Honor Harrington series.  The first 3 books were fantastic, the next couple were good, but the rest have just gone steadily downhill. In one of those later books, the main character isnt even in it!

Staggerwing

Quote from: avrotim on March 01, 2016, 11:12:26 PM
Weber seems to be going the same route with the Honor Harrington series.  The first 3 books were fantastic, the next couple were good, but the rest have just gone steadily downhill. In one of those later books, the main character isnt even in it!

Weber had actually planned to kill off HH a few books back, letting some of the younger characters come to the forefront, but fan pressure made him keep her alive. Instead he spun off several divergent series that run concurrently with the main story line, one set in the Talbott Cluster and one following the emergence of the planet Torch and it's role in the slow breakup of the Solaria League Frontier. Both of them also focus heavily on the Mesan puppet-masters and their centuries-long machinations.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

avrotim

Quotehe spun off several divergent series that run concurrently with the main story line, one set in the Talbott Cluster and one following the emergence of the planet Torch and it's role in the slow breakup of the Solaria League Frontier. Both of them also focus heavily on the Mesan puppet-masters and their centuries-long machinations.

Zzzzzzzzz 

WallysWorld

Finished reading Otto Carius' Tigers in the Mud and started Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. Wanted to read that novella before I start on King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Gusington

King Leopold's Ghost is fantastic! It will make you wince the next time anyone says 'poor little Belgium.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

I've dove into my annual re-reading of Asimov's Foundation series.  I'm always amazed (but pleased) by how easily it reads for me.  :smitten: 

Quote from: avrotim on March 01, 2016, 11:08:39 PM
I've given up on Turtledove as well.  His series never end, and he keeps killing off characters for no reason.  The only book I liked was "Ruled Britannia", which, while very long, was at least just one book.
I'm a big fan of Ruled Britannia as well.  I also enjoy In the Presence of Mine Enemies, even if it's not as fun or lighthearted a read (obviously, given the material it's dealing with).  I wonder if Turtledove does better with just standalone novels? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

One of the first Turtledove books I read was Guns of the South. I admit, I enjoyed it, even though it was hamfisted.

I will never, ever forgive him for wasting my time reading the four Worldwar series. I loved the premise and the first book was decent enough, but nothing really happened. None of the characters developed. I kept waiting for the storyline (very, VERY patiently, I might add) to start amping up but it slowly became apparent that I was reading a book about a painting that did nothing but sit there. None of his characters developed at all, grew, changed, or did anything other than be one-dimensional puppets.

I kept thinking, "there HAS to be something big coming up..." ...but no, nothing. By the end of Book 4 he'd killed off some of the main characters (which didn't matter since he never developed them and you never felt any connection to any of them) and I was in no mood to continue with the next series, Colonization. :(

I tried a few of his other series (starting with How Few Remain, and tried the one where the Japanese invade and conquer Hawaii), but it was just more of the goddamned same! Boring characters. I had these books as a child that I loved where you could punch out buildings that folded together to make 3D representations, like train stations and stuff like that; the punch-out people from those books had more character than Turtledove puts in his books.

If Turtledove does it for any of you...good for you! But me...no. Never again.

Plus his publishers are assh*les, which I know I've mentioned before.

avrotim

Yep.  I am still willing to read a stand-alone book of his, but I wont be sucked into another never-ending-series.  In fact I think I will go back and re-read Ruled Britannia.  Using Shakespeare as the main character in a treason plot is clever, and he actually does get to you care about him!

mirth

To Hell and Back: Europe, 1914-1949 by Ian Kershaw
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

Quote from: WallysWorld on March 02, 2016, 07:48:54 PM
Finished reading Otto Carius' Tigers in the Mud and started Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. Wanted to read that novella before I start on King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild.

I've been meaning to get 'Tigers in the Mud' for a long time.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

airboy

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on March 03, 2016, 09:27:18 AM
One of the first Turtledove books I read was Guns of the South. I admit, I enjoyed it, even though it was hamfisted.

I will never, ever forgive him for wasting my time reading the four Worldwar series. I loved the premise and the first book was decent enough, but nothing really happened. None of the characters developed. I kept waiting for the storyline (very, VERY patiently, I might add) to start amping up but it slowly became apparent that I was reading a book about a painting that did nothing but sit there. None of his characters developed at all, grew, changed, or did anything other than be one-dimensional puppets.

I kept thinking, "there HAS to be something big coming up..." ...but no, nothing. By the end of Book 4 he'd killed off some of the main characters (which didn't matter since he never developed them and you never felt any connection to any of them) and I was in no mood to continue with the next series, Colonization. :(

I tried a few of his other series (starting with How Few Remain, and tried the one where the Japanese invade and conquer Hawaii), but it was just more of the goddamned same! Boring characters. I had these books as a child that I loved where you could punch out buildings that folded together to make 3D representations, like train stations and stuff like that; the punch-out people from those books had more character than Turtledove puts in his books.

If Turtledove does it for any of you...good for you! But me...no. Never again.

Plus his publishers are assh*les, which I know I've mentioned before.

I'm good with Turtledove except the World War/Aliens one.  But I read books like that right before going to bed to help me sleep (no kidding).

Why the hate for Del Ray?

airboy

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 27, 2016, 04:31:33 AM
Turns out Larry's also a gamer nerd as well as an author and a gun nut.  Cool! 

http://monsterhunternation.com/

The audio books for the Monster Hunter and Grim Noire series are both better than the Dead Six books.  He has won multiple "audies" for the audio versions in these series.