What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelmsm

Finished the Gettysburg book and now starting The Battle of the Wilderness by Gordon Rhea. For a bit lighter reading on the Kindle I'm reading Braving the Storms which is the third volume of Strengthe What Remains series by Kyle Pratt. I just love a good post apocalyptic series.

Gusington

Wally I have been wanting a I read August 1914 for a long time. How is it?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

WallysWorld

Quote from: Gusington on December 04, 2016, 12:10:45 PM
Wally I have been wanting a I read August 1914 for a long time. How is it?
I'm only about thirteen pages into the book so I can't say much about it yet. So far so good though. You get a good feel of life in Imperial Russia in 1914 from what I've read and Tolstoy's writings have played quite a large part in the main character's motivations at least in the beginning.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Re-reading Castles of Steel now. Can't believe I don't own it already.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

bob48

I just received 'Dien Bien Phu' today (by Legion Games and via Limey-Yank - thanks Andy :bd:) so I'll be reading 'Hell in a Very Small Place' again.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JasonPratt

Finished Vol 3 (technically Book 2) of Missing 411, and as previously expected it was almost all new material with the occasional, and reasonable, call backs to prior entries for comparison. Vol 4 ("The Devils in the Detail") is following suit so far.

Which is great for book value, though of course terrible for the number of people whose lives have been ruined and/or lost by whatever. :(
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Just finished, "Russia's Last Gasp" by Prit Buttar. The third of 4 books covering WWI's East Front. And another great one full of detail and info mostly covering 1916's Brusilov's Offensive but the Rumanian Campaign as well.

These are my kind of books-- 500 pages plus, lots of battle details, quotes from both sides, and the in's and out's of planning, political maneuvering, and why what didn't work didn't and what might have.

My only niggling complaint is as before, plain, generic maps that don't always fit the fighting going on at the time. Especially tough if you've no general knowledge of Russian geography.

But anyone interested in the time or subject couldn't go wrong in reading this excellent series. Can't wait for number 4.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bob48

I've only read the first one, which is excellent. Must catch up with the others.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

Beginning The Wake by Paul Kingsnorth tonight, historical/apocalyptic fiction set during the Norman invasion of England.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

After finishing that Stalingrad book, I started reading Book 2 of Honor Harrington, but before I went too far into it I instead started Constitution: Book 1 of The Legacy Fleet Trilogy. I grabbed this a long time ago on sale through Amazon for my Kindle and forgot about it (I have a lot of those on my Kindle, heh). It's a pretty good read so far; I'm about four or so chapters in.