What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Picked up a hardback copy of Clancy's 'Bear and the Dragon' for 50 cents. Giving that a quick re-read.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on September 12, 2017, 12:26:18 PM
Picked up a hardback copy of Clancy's 'Bear and the Dragon' for 50 cents. Giving that a quick re-read.

Is that about China mixing it up with the Soviets?

mirth

That's the one. The political stuff gets stale, but the battles are as entertaining as ever.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

Not a bad read. Not anywhere near RSR, but still it scratches the massive-modern-tank-battle itch, which I think is kind of a fetish around here.

Barthheart

I thought that was his worst book... haven't read anything of his since... although now that I think about it he's not put much else out has he?  ???

BanzaiCat

Kind of hard to when you're dead.  O:-)

Barthheart

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: mirth on September 12, 2017, 12:36:01 PM
That's the one. The political stuff gets stale, but the battles are as entertaining as ever.

Is that the one which starts out with the RPG attack in Moscow?  Clancy reluctantly admits the car was German-built but then proudly proclaims "but the bullet proof glass was MADE IN MURICA!!!!!!!" 

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Barthheart on September 12, 2017, 12:44:05 PM
Well there's that.....  :P

LOL I figured you knew that, I couldn't resist being a smart-arse though.

I'm not sure what his last books were. He did some weird Net-Force stuff that I never bothered with. RSR and his Carrier book are my favorites.

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on September 12, 2017, 12:39:48 PM
I thought that was his worst book... haven't read anything of his since... although now that I think about it he's not put much else out has he?  ???

Red Rabbit (came after Bear and Dragon) was his worst book. I stopped with the new stuff after that.

Bear and Dragon isn't his best work, but it's generally readable and far better than most other stuff in that genre.

Gusington

IIRC books are still being put out under the Clancy moniker by Writers-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Credited.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

There are books still being published as "Tom Clancy's ...". The writer's do credited though.

Gusington

Probably Russian and Chinese translations.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Quote from: mirth on September 12, 2017, 12:53:03 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on September 12, 2017, 12:39:48 PM

Red Rabbit (came after Bear and Dragon) was his worst book. I stopped with the new stuff after that.

Bear and Dragon isn't his best work, but it's generally readable and far better than most other stuff in that genre.

Red Rabbit, that's the one I couldn't remember... I didn't get that one specifically because Bear and Dragon sucked....

mirth

You did not miss anything by skipping Red Rabbit.