What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Just finished 1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created by Charles Mann. (Audio book version - afternoon commute and lunch time walk about.)
Very interesting read about how Columbus stumbling into North America created follow on effects that are still affecting the world today.
I really liked it because it's one of those few books that ties the history of various regions of the world together that seem very far apart and disconnected.

Trying to get my hands on the first one now: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus

Gusington

Both of those have been on my to-read list.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

The author is quite good at making what could be rather dull info very interesting and engaging.

BanzaiCat

Unfortunately German Northern Theater of Operations 1940-1945 is losing a bit of steam for me. He described in great detail Mountain Corps Norway's assault on Murmansk and how pathetic it was, as well as mid-Karelia operations which are immensely hard to follow without having Google Maps next to you while reading. It's finally started to pick up as he's gotten into the Siege of Leningrad and the Finns' unwillingness to attack the northern part of that city in 1941, which allowed the Soviets to move a few desperately-needed divisions to oppose the Germans. It's gotten a bit more interesting.

Steelgrave

"Outpost", a nifty new sci-fi by W. Michael Gear.

airboy

Life in a medieval city was on sale so I'm rereading it.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Yes.  I've read all of them at one point or another.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

Quote from: airboy on March 09, 2018, 07:21:17 PM
Life in a medieval city was on sale so I'm rereading it.

I have not read any of the books by Frances and Joseph Gies. I will definitely have a look at them now that I know they exist.

Thanks for mentioning Life in a Medieval City, Airboy. O0
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

trailrunner

Received these as gifts last night.  Perfect timing, because I had just finished the book I had been reading.

Gusington

Oooh how's the Nomonhan book? I've had that on my list forever.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

trailrunner

Quote from: Gusington on March 17, 2018, 03:27:31 PM
Oooh how's the Nomonhan book? I've had that on my list forever.

I just started, but I'll let you know. 

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd