What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

That is so interesting, Tripoli.  I was reading How the North Won just yesterday.

Anyway, I'm on book 3 of Catton's The Army of the Potomac trilogy (A Stillness at Appomattox).  I'm really enjoying it; Catton has a very good style of writing, different from Foote.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JasonPratt

Bro and his family came over, and one of the gifts they gave me was Robert Conquest's 40th Anniversary "Reassessment" edition of The Great Terror. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/0195317009/

This will be expedient for contextual purposes next year at some time yet to be determined.  ^-^
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tripoli

Quote from: Toonces on December 21, 2019, 02:55:17 PM
That is so interesting, Tripoli.  I was reading How the North Won just yesterday.

Anyway, I'm on book 3 of Catton's The Army of the Potomac trilogy (A Stillness at Appomattox).  I'm really enjoying it; Catton has a very good style of writing, different from Foote.

Catton is good.  He got me interested in the USCW way back in 1972, although I was so young, I didn't understand his "Army of the Potomac" trilogy then.  The "How the North Won" is an excellent book, effectively merging discussion of the various elements of strategy, tactics, operations, economy and logistics into a coherent, readable narrative.  It and "The Grand Design" should be required reading in any class on the US Civil War.  Right now, I'm reading "The First Team: Pacific Naval AIr Combat from Pearl Harbot to Midway" and "The First Team and the Guadalcanal Campaign"
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Huw the Poo

I finished The Three Body Problem trilogy.  I'm almost lost for words.  It's an absolute mind-bender, it really is.  The stakes just kept getting higher and higher.  Thoroughly recommended!

twitter3

Quote from: Tripoli on December 21, 2019, 10:09:20 PM
Quote from: Toonces on December 21, 2019, 02:55:17 PM

Catton is good.  He got me interested in the USCW way back in 1972, although I was so young, I didn't understand his "Army of the Potomac" trilogy then.  The "How the North Won" is an excellent book, effectively merging discussion of the various elements of strategy, tactics, operations, economy and logistics into a coherent, readable narrative.  It and "The Grand Design" should be required reading in any class on the US Civil War.  Right now, I'm reading "The First Team: Pacific Naval AIr Combat from Pearl Harbot to Midway" and "The First Team and the Guadalcanal Campaign"

"How the North Won" is an excellent book. I just finished "How the South Lost" by four authors (two of whom wrote "How the North Won"). It is interesting to compare the ideas they lay out in each book. Logistics and lines of communication mixed in with the South's lack of will to carry on the fight is spread throughout the two books.

Huw the Poo

I've started Tau Zero by Poul Anderson.  Not bad so far, very nice prose.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 23, 2019, 04:07:03 PM

If you can, read Anderson's "The Boat of a Million Years", another of his Hugo Award nominees.

His Time Patrol stories are also good, especially if you like a mix of history and sci-fi. Among my favorites are 'The Star of the Sea','Delenda Est', and The Sorrows of Odin the Goth'.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Huw the Poo

Thanks mate.  If I get on with Tau Zero, and early indications are that I absolutely will, I will definitely add your suggestions to my reading list. O0

airboy

I'm reading: Great Pacific War: A History of the American-Japanese Campaign of 1931-33 by Hector C. Bywater

This alt-history was published in 1925 and sold very well during the early years of WW2.  I picked up a digital copy for $.99.

I like alt-histories a lot and am looking forward to this.

JasonPratt

Is it good enough to make you want to play War Plan Orange?  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 23, 2019, 07:38:06 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 23, 2019, 04:07:03 PM

If you can, read Anderson's "The Boat of a Million Years", another of his Hugo Award nominees.

His Time Patrol stories are also good, especially if you like a mix of history and sci-fi. Among my favorites are 'The Star of the Sea','Delenda Est', and The Sorrows of Odin the Goth'.
I'll second the recommendation of "Boat", and add his Harvest of Stars to the list.  I haven't read as much of Anderson's works as I should, but he truly is an outstanding writer. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Huw the Poo

Pete Dero

demjansk1942

Reading a book on Bruce Lee and a book called The Devil and Sonny List on.  Showtime had a great documentary on him last month.

besilarius

Quote from: Staggerwing on Yesterday at 05:38:06 PM

Quote from: Huw the Poo on Yesterday at 02:07:03 PM

Poul Anderson was so prolific, it's hard to narrow down.  If you're interested in humor, Earthman's Burden with Gordon Dickson is a lot of fun.
If you like fantasy, Three Hearts and Three Lions.
If you like Norse, The Broken Sword.
If you like interstellar spies and space opera, the Dominic Flandry series is very engaging.  (his persona of Captain Ahab Whaling is a hoot.)
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.