Pathfinder RPG books on Humble Bundle for $1

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, March 02, 2016, 05:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I have no idea what Pathfinder is, but apparently it's on Humble Bundle for $1 today.  I bought it.  No idea why.....

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/paizo-pathfinder-bundle

LongBlade

Pathfinder is D&D 3.75.

After WotC shifted to 4.0, the crew from Paizo decided to make some small changes to 3.5 (remember it was OGL - Open Gaming License) and created Pathfinder. If you liked 3.5, supposedly you'll like Pathfinder.

I've never played it, but that's what I hear. It has a pretty large following. And their minis line is very competitive with the D&D minis.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

It's a sweet ass collection.  I really like Pathfinder and yes it is a further developed D&D 3.5, but it can be a bit of a numbers game as you go for better stat efficiency through equipment upgrades and spell buffs.  The physical beginners box is by far and away the best box set currently on the market for new players. You most likely can find a Pathfinder Society in Vancouver, if you want to get into RPGs.  Eventually if you like the series, you'll need to get at a minimum a physical copy of the Core Rule Book.  Eventually if you want some variety over the traditional race/class combos, Paizo has release materials some of which you now have that adds a bit of steam punk flair to the game and adds a bunch of new races.

However as much as I like Pathfinder, I'm actually teaching my family how to play the game, I'm very seriously considering getting the D&D 5th ed.  I like at least from what I've read and the youtube videos I've watched on how leveling and stat scaling work in it.  It's much less about equipment upgrades and adding various bonuses, which may be a nice way to balance out encounters at higher levels.  Also there is a couple of local D&D Adventures Leagues that I might look into, because unfortunately there isn't a Pathfinder Society in the area that isn't really an option.

Dammit Carl!

Wes

Good God!

That is an awesome deal. The great thing about starting with the PFBB is that the core book becomes a 'source' reference and you can add as much or little to your campaign as you like. And between the adventures and guide books included (and throw in some online generator sites and a dip in the PRD) and you are set to lose some large chunks of time. I may have to do this just to say thanks.

And they include a digital version of the starter box if I'm reading that right? Yeah, for anyone who ever sat on the fence this is a win/win for both deal and idea for deal.

Thanks for the link...I gotta spread the word on this...:)
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

bayonetbrant

I bought mine 2 weeks ago...  where the hell have you guys been?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Quote from: Wes on March 03, 2016, 12:53:43 AM

And they include a digital version of the starter box if I'm reading that right? Yeah, for anyone who ever sat on the fence this is a win/win for both deal and idea for deal.

Depending on the level of support you actually get a physical copy of the Beginners Box, which you only pay the for the shipping costs.  Right now Paizo is out of PFBB due to the bundle deal, so it might be away before you'd get a copy.  I'm still waiting on them to have the Beastary Pawn Box back in stock.  :(

bbmike

I've got my Dungeon Crawl Classic Kickstarter set on the way and will probably never play this but it's just too good to pass up!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

BanzaiCat

Very tempted to get it but I have no reason to buy it, even for a dollar.

I did play it back a while ago once or twice...both it and Palladium.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yeah, me neither.  I haven't played an RPG in 20 years and doubt I ever will again but for $1?  I figured it might be interesting just to read through the books.  Then again, there is that group of regulars Pathfinder players at my FLGS with the two hot Asian chicks who dress all slutty...

Bison

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on March 03, 2016, 10:53:26 AM
Very tempted to get it but I have no reason to buy it, even for a dollar.

I did play it back a while ago once or twice...both it and Palladium.

It's digital so it's much easier to hide from the wife?  :)

BanzaiCat

Well...you can't deny that.

It's more about having time to read through them. I'm out of town for business for a good part of next week, then the week after I'm on a cruise for a week...

Though I bet those books are PDFs and they'd fit on my Kindle Fire...hmm...  :D

No, no, no...the main reason I won't get it is it'll just depress me. If it's a good system and I'm enjoying reading it, it'll depress me because I won't have a chance to play it. Sort of like reading the rules to an awesome game and not getting to try it out...doesn't make much sense to me.  :(

Bison

It's one of the free game systems on fantasy grounds, well at least the basic rules are for sure so perhaps it does have a place in your future.