Main Menu

Steam Lawsuits

Started by Gusington, February 28, 2023, 02:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

I signed up back in November and haven't heard anything about it since.

For some context, I also signed up for a local Uber Eats claim in November of 2020.  In September, 2022, I got a notification that Uber offered a settlement.  Then two or three weeks ago I got $500 deposited in my bank account.   :Party:

So yeah, I'd say it's worth the couple seconds to sign up, but don't hold your breath on it.  I suspect Valve will put a lot of money into fighting this if they think they can win it.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

^Heh and the flip side is 'Valve is counting on gamers to do nothing and thus pocket your money'  :Party:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Geezer

I have bought almost every game either discounted at launch or on sale.  So it doesn't feel like I've been cheated.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Gusington

^Me too but I filed a claim anyway.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Yeah for me it's not about feeling cheated or whatever.  It's about "Hey, other people are getting free money?  I'll take some, too!"
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

steve58

What kind of info do you have to provide?  asking for a friend  :lipsrsealed:
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

al_infierno

Quote from: steve58 on February 28, 2023, 05:36:11 PMWhat kind of info do you have to provide?  asking for a friend  :lipsrsealed:

First name, last name, email address, and phone number.  I never got any calls and only got a few emails with pertinent updates.  At some point you have to provide the routing details for the bank transfer (or however you want to receive the money)

- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: steve58 on February 28, 2023, 05:36:11 PMWhat kind of info do you have to provide?  asking for a friend  :lipsrsealed:

You have to sign agreements with the law firm. I refused to do that. Read the info. I posted in the linked thread. This is not a traditional class action. These are all individual claims.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 28, 2023, 06:24:14 PM

You have to sign agreements with the law firm. I refused to do that. Read the info. I posted in the linked thread. This is not a traditional class action. These are all individual claims.

Yeah...this is weird.  It's not anything like the Hyundai class I was part of that gave me a significant payout.  I took a look at the agreements and felt pretty uncomfortable.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

steve58

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 28, 2023, 06:24:14 PM

Thx JH.  I will delve more into the info.  Not sure I want to sign stuff just for an internet class action... 
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

al_infierno

The only thing about the agreement that gave me pause was potentially having to attend a videoconference and testify under oath.  I didn't get asked to sign any funding agreement except the usual "If we win you'll get a payout, if not you pay nothing" that is typical to class actions.

- MengJiao

Sigwolf

Call me crazy... I don't see anything in any of this to indicate Steam has caused me any damage.  "Oooh, free money!" is not incentive to me to intentionally damage a system that has treated me fairly.  This kind of thing reinforces many things wrong with our legal system.

al_infierno

I'm sure Valve will recover financially.

- MengJiao