Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Swatter on February 17, 2014, 11:41:35 PM
If Jarhead would allow me to cap off the ethical discussion, I would like to end it with one point. A history professor of mine once warned against looking at ancient cultures through the lens of modern ethics. Ancient cultures would seem quite alien to the modern people, so one needs to examine those cultures within the context of their times.

Definately. Lets also appreciate how easy our higher moral standards are with all the advancements that have made everything come pretty easy. 
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Gusington

So is that new Beasts of War DLC worth 2.99?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I haven't run into any new units yet to say how good they are but I checked them out a little in a custom battle and their stats look interesting enough. I haven't seen any potential mod conflicts noted anywhere and that's good. I think the new units are pretty limited in who can recruit them. Parthia is the only faction that I noticed had the new armored camels but there were several that could get the armored elephants, mostly eastern factions. Playing as Rome, I don't think we get hardly any new units and so we have stopped all research into all techs but "Insecticide" so we can handle the bees, scorpions and snakes.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mikeck

If my highly trained Legionaire cohort gets stomped by armored camels, I'm going to throw a complete fit
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

If I but The armor camel super elephant rocket powered chariot DLC do I have to start a new game?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Hmm, figured as much. I will hold off. I might get it just for fun anyway eventually. I mean does anyone by total war games to experience ultimate realism?

Gusington

^I was kidding! The DLC, especially one like this, is just an unlock of units that are already there. No restart necessary.

And I have never bought a TW to experience ultimate realism. If I wanted that I would starve myself and go try to survive naked in the woods.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

I do starve myself and live in the woods to try and get into the "zone" before a Rome game

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Gusington on February 18, 2014, 09:36:29 PM
I wanted that I would starve myself and go try to survive naked in the woods.

talk dirty to me baby!
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on February 18, 2014, 04:12:15 PM
If my highly trained Legionaire cohort gets stomped by armored camels, I'm going to throw a complete fit

I'm wondering - if you use the DLC, will the AI tend to load up on some of these crazy animal troops?

I would like to see the camels in there, but the rest is blah.  I'd be concerned that the AI might go on a 'Flaming Pigs' buying spree or something.   :-\

Yskonyn

Still, eventhough I don't have to play TW games to experience insane realism, but are these armored camels totally made up or are they at least subject to speculation as in 'Secret weapons of the Egyptianwaffe' ?

If so I might get it (the stock wardogs are plain brutal!!), but I do not care to make my RTW into Lord of the Pyramids.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

I don't think there were any Armored Camel soldiers until much later.  Somewhere in the Middle Ages or Medieval period, perhaps?  For the Ottomans or Persians?  Even then, probably not the same.

If there were armored camel warriors in the Roman Period, I don't think there were very many.   

bayonetbrant

in case y'all missed it on the front page

http://grogheads.com/?p=3995
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

According to the DLC, Armored Camel cataphracts made their debut at the battle of Nisbis in 217 AD. The Armored Elephants are only recruitable as mercs at certain cities. The Snake-Pots are Carthage only. And the 2 War-Dog units look identical but the Celtic War Dogs bark with an Irish accent.  ;)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.