Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuna

Is your Power Supply strong enough for the new card?

JudgeDredd

Oh dear - not good tgb! Especially at the weekend  :(
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

I had similar problems last week and a simple CMOS clearing did the trick.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

W8taminute

Quote from: Tuna on October 19, 2013, 08:37:48 AM
Is your Power Supply strong enough for the new card?

Tuna might be onto something.  I agree with him.  Make sure your power supply can handle the demand required by the card. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

tgb

I bought a new power supply to go with the card, so that's not the issue.  The real problem is that I would have to ship the box back to Gateway to be fixed under warranty, which takes 2-3 weeks.  Since I'm self-employed and rely on it for working every day, I can't go without a computer that long.

Jarhead0331

tgb...it won't boot at all? Maybe the problem is the power supply and not the card.  Also, if it does boot but there is no picture on the monitor, give it a few minutes.  I recently bought a 660ti and returned it because I thought the card was not displaying on my monitor...I then exchanged it for a 650ti and had the same problem.  In frustration I left the room and a few minutes later came back to again start the disassembly process. Lo and behold it was working...it just takes a few seconds for the image to load up and display and I was being impatient.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

It could be the power supply, yes, but if he just replaced it with a new one then it's probably his motherboard.  Especially if it's shutting down on it's own - happens all the time when they start going south.  Same for when the video card slot is populated & the computer not booting. 

Even if the PSU is too small to handle the video card under heavy load, it would still boot up into Windows just fine (unless it was just plain faulty).  I'd rule that one out unless he just plain forgot to plug in the PCI-E power molex to the vid card.

Did you have a previous video card in the slot before or was it running some onboard video?  If you had a different one in there before, you should definitely uninstall the vid drivers for it before putting the new one in.  I'm guessing you know this, but worth checking.

He could try Starfury's suggestion of resetting the CMOS.  There is usually a 2- or 3-pin jumper on decent motherboards which you can put a 2-pin shunt on to do this, if you don't want to pry the battery out and put it back in.  You need a free shunt, of course.  You could close the circuit manually, but I don't recommend doing so - motherboards are wimpy whiny bitches and Murphy is always watching.  Who knows?  You might get lucky with a reset, like he did.  Just don't expect to be so lucky.   :-\

If none of the basics were missed,  I'd sadly call it some kind of motherboard issue.  :-\

tgb

Thanks for the advice, all; but it's still under warranty and right now on the way to the manufacturer.

JudgeDredd

I don't know if you've tried this - but it worked once for me - take out the CMOS battery or if your motherboard has it clear the CMOS.

I once put a card in my computer and forgot (like an idiot) to switch it off at the mains - the new graphics card I was putting in touched the board and from then, there was no boot.

I took it into work the next day and one of the lads thought the board was fried. The other took the CMOS out - just as a "try it" - and lo and behold it came back to life.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Seems very off topic I know (I don't think the Riomans or anyone of that era had to worry about graphics cards or motherboards and power supplies (although - the latter (?) - but whilst it's in the spirit of trying to help someone, I guess it's ok
Alba gu' brath

Gusington

New Rome II: Total War DLC for Nomadic Tribes (Roxolani, Scythia, Massagate) available for free starting today on Steam. After 10/29 this DLC will be 7.99.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

So there are still no real updated impressions folks! Does anyone still play or are we All waiting on eachother to test the new patches? ;)
I am craving for some Rome 2 though, but I lack the time... Ack!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 22, 2013, 02:32:17 PM
So there are still no real updated impressions folks! Does anyone still play or are we All waiting on eachother to test the new patches? ;)

I've been waiting on more updates before jumping back in.  That, and I've been kinda burned out on digital gaming in general and been doing the tabletop thing more (other than some occasional War Thunder).

Zulu1966

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 22, 2013, 02:32:17 PM
I am craving for some Rome 2 though, but I lack the time... Ack!

Patch 4 killed the game for me - used to run fine - now I cant play the campaign for longer than ten minutes without it crashing. It looked like a good game but I just dont have the time to arse about waiting for it to work.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Sir Slash

I got the FREE DLC and thank you Gus for posting the news so I didn't have to try to spell Massgetae. These Latin names are killing me. So far the 3 new factions aren't very different but look to have some cool new units and interesting techs. I was totally confused as the Scythians don't start in Scythia but farther west and who the hell were the Massen-gils? Anyway with the new Seleucid-playable faction that's 4 new playable factions in 4 days. So... Come, sit. Share my fire.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.