Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

So, six months after buying Rome II, and 176 pages into this apparently unkillable thread, I finally had my first positive experience with this game tonight.  Not sure what it was -- either the new graphics card I got in the interim, or possibly having my CPU reset to stock clock, entirely inadvertently, after a BIOS update -- but for the first time ever:  Rome II did not crash on me.  I fired it up completely on a whim, since I had more or less given up on it -- and I managed to get through the first parts of the Prologue.  Perhaps it's finally fixed.

I even started fiddling with a grand campaign.  And I begin to see why y'all seem to love this game so much.  I'm impressed.

Gusington

^We left a light on for you.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

sandman2575

Thanks   8).   I'm just glad I can move Rome II off my "Games I'm bitter I blew $60 on" list.   Maybe it's been a while since I played a big studio AAA game,but the production values on this thing blow me away.  Love the look, esp. little things like the 'ancient' unit and tech icons.  And I turn music off on 99% of games I play, but love what this music adds.

mikeck

Funny thing is when I first bought this game was over on the other forms listening to everybody scream and wail (justifiably in many cases) most of the people that seem to be having the biggest problems with people that have the super overclocked triple nipple grub caster 5000 GPU 70 watt phased array graphics cards and everything els...people that just had regular systems and regular processors didn't seem to be having much problems so maybe it was the overclocking? I don't know

Glad you get to enjoy it. Now, put on your big boy pants dump the tutorials start a grand campaign

Seriously though, what sucks is that there are still people out there just can't seem to get the game to run for whatever reason and they get frustrated and I understand it's unfortunate because I think they're missing the greatest total war game
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: sandman2575 on March 07, 2014, 11:25:30 PM
Perhaps it's finally fixed.

Heyyy now!

I wouldn't go that far.   :D

There are still some bugs needing squashed and more refinement needed here & there.  But it's enjoyable.

mikeck

Quote from: Nefaro on March 08, 2014, 11:51:54 AM
Perhaps it's finally fixed.

Heyyy now!

I wouldn't go that far.   :D

There are still some bugs needing squashed and more refinement needed here & there.  But it's enjoyable.

Always will be. It's light years ahead
If where it was at release and I loved it then. I was the only one but I did.
I still have my pom-poms and "go team" signs!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Martok

So, six months after buying Rome II, and 176 pages into this apparently unkillable thread, I finally had my first positive experience with this game tonight.  Not sure what it was -- either the new graphics card I got in the interim, or possibly having my CPU reset to stock clock, entirely inadvertently, after a BIOS update -- but for the first time ever:  Rome II did not crash on me.  I fired it up completely on a whim, since I had more or less given up on it -- and I managed to get through the first parts of the Prologue.  Perhaps it's finally fixed.

I even started fiddling with a grand campaign.  And I begin to see why y'all seem to love this game so much.  I'm impressed.
Awesome news, sandman!  Glad you're finally able to enjoy this superb game. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

sandman2575

Yeah, I'm pretty pumped I can finally play.  "Fixed" for me = not constantly crashing within 5 minutes of launching the game.  I really wonder if my previously OC'd CPU was the culprit, or possibly the factory OC'd graphics card I was using (an evga 680 'FTW'), because as Mikeck says, lots of folks with suped-up hardware seemed to have a lot of trouble with Rome II -- I was among the bitchers on the CA forums.  Who knows.  Just glad it works now.

Gusington

^That would explain why there are so many vitriolic haters. Suped-up rig = high chance of not being able to play. I think we have finally solved this mystery.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Funny thing is that seems to be a lot of the problem with X rebirthed to people like me who don't have any problems have just regular Dell computers with an Nvidia graphics card and whatever processor came with it run smooth this baby shit.  the people that have stuttering and running 15 frames per second or the ones with the over-clocked super satellite battery poweredmodel 3000 nuclear powered graphics cards and 10 times overclocked double fist pumping action processor....so who knows

mikeck

I think the AI diplomacy is much improved in room two as well. Nova Carthage declared war on me as did Libia I called for my ally Sparta's help. Before I could get much done sparta had sent to fleets off the coast of North Africa and had invaded Iol.. one of Libya cities. They also sunk to nova Carthage leads off the coast of Spain. I then asked Athens to joining my war in exchange for some money they did as well and immediately sent several fleets down to North Africa and blockaded two of Libya's cities. Can't really ask for more than that.

Now the AI will do some boneheaded things in the strategic game but I got to give credit where credit is due when it comes to helping you out they really do as opposed to past total more games where you would call your ally for help and they would basically do nothing

Gusington

I have had similar positive AI behavior. Which further puzzles me with 1000s of complaints of stupid or braindead AI. It's really better than people give it credit for.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Yeah be careful if you give your allies a priority target as they will all get the same one. As the Seleucids, I was allied with the Medes and Pergamon. When Macedon declared war on me. I sent Pergamon a priority target of Pella and a couple of turns later here comes the Medes marching through my territory headed west to Macedon. When I cancelled the target they seemed confused and just hung around for awhile before heading back east. But generally allies now help a lot more.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

^AI behavior like that makes me giddy.

How do you like the Seleucids?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on March 08, 2014, 09:08:27 PM
I have had similar positive AI behavior. Which further puzzles me with 1000s of complaints of stupid or braindead AI. It's really better than people give it credit for.
Agreed.  Not that I think the AI is brilliant or anything, but neither have I seen it do something overtly stupid (at least not very often)...and really, that's about all I ask for.  Of course, the AI also does surprise and/or catches me off-guard on occasion as well, which makes me just as pleased as punch.  :D 

Don't get me wrong:  I'm sure other folks really are seeing terrible AI, and I do feel bad for them.  But honestly, I've just not had that problem much myself. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces