Grand Tactician, American Civil War

Started by Phantom, May 04, 2018, 01:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I love FoF to death, but it sure had a ton of quirky quirks!

For no good reason, though, I was never able to get into its predecessor (Crown of Glory?) about the Napoleon Wars (even the Emperor Edition, somewhat upgraded to Forge standards), which in theory should be even better due to the scope.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 07, 2023, 09:05:33 AMI love FoF to death, but it sure had a ton of quirky quirks!

For no good reason, though, I was never able to get into its predecessor (Crown of Glory?) about the Napoleon Wars (even the Emperor Edition, somewhat upgraded to Forge standards), which in theory should be even better due to the scope.

Lots of quirky quirkiness in both of those games but I love them.  I could never figure out how to build up your economy in Crown of Glory Emperor's Edition.  But the land and naval battles were fun.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grim.Reaper

Although unlikely I get it, the new dlc is scheduled for release on august 25 fir those interested.

ArizonaTank

I will certainly get the DLC day one.

Even though the two dev videos below did not really inspire me much...

It's not that they are bad...the DLC just seems luke warm. But maybe I'm wrong  :Dreamer:

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Tripoli

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 05, 2023, 11:00:18 AMI will certainly get the DLC day one.

It's not that they are bad...the DLC just seems luke warm. But maybe I'm wrong  :Dreamer:

Like you, I'll get it because I want to support the developers. I think they did a great job with Grand Tactician.   However, the Whiskey and Lemons concept just doesn't grab me.   
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Tanaka

Quote from: Tripoli on August 05, 2023, 11:51:03 AM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 05, 2023, 11:00:18 AMI will certainly get the DLC day one.

Like you, I'll get it because I want to support the developers. I think they did a great job with Grand Tactician.   However, the Whiskey and Lemons concept just doesn't grab me.   

Yeah I'm more interested in the new patch that fixes stuff than creating my own character...

Skoop

I was thinking about this the other day, they should add a quick battle generator where you can set up your own one off battles.  There's actually an insane amount of units and weapons, many times you don't even see them in the campaign.

Want to try out 1860s French vs British, set one up in the battle generator.  Want to see if a Calvary brigade armed with winchesters and Gatlings could stop pickets charge, try it out in the battle generator.

Also, I'll probably get the dlc and give it a play through, it's a cool concept.  I much rather would have a Mexican war dlc or Crimean war dlc, but those maybe new stand alone efforts.

Grim.Reaper

Whiskey and Lemons DLC releases today....saw it being $24.99 with a 10% release discount.

ArizonaTank

I have never said this before about a game. But I am also looking forward to the release of the expanded soundtrack. 

The band Wasel and the Weasels (despite being Finnish) has really captured the era IMHO and I actually bought the first soundtrack DLC. I look forward to the soundtrack from Whiskey and Lemons as well.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Rayfer

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 25, 2023, 07:39:59 AMWhiskey and Lemons DLC releases today....saw it being $24.99 with a 10% release discount.

I was looking forward to this dlc but $24.99 seems high.  :tickedoff:

Skoop

I'll have to look more at the regimental gameplay that's added with this. 

I remember a while back everyone trying to get copies of scourge of war before they disappeared and the main point was that it models civil war down to the regiment.

Well now here you go Regiments are now modeled in grand tactician.

SirAndrewD

My first character is a "outrageous, psychopathic, individualist fire eater."

Sounds appropriate.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Not the Balder's Gate thead!  :evil:

Scourge-o-War will be back eventually, and it still has its place as live tactical 1st/3rd person action, including especially for multiplayer.

Nice that GranTac is down to regiments, tho! That's better than Forge of Freedom which drilled down to the brigade level for its battles.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Grim.Reaper

Seems like initial feedback a little rough on this one.......was hoping this dlc might have made things click for me so will see how it goes

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 25, 2023, 06:00:42 PMSeems like initial feedback a little rough on this one.......was hoping this dlc might have made things click for me so will see how it goes

Oh yeah.  The battles are quite the mess on this version.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback