Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by steve58, June 01, 2015, 12:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on August 05, 2015, 05:14:44 PM
Screw this nonsense. I'm sticking with Win 7.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/05/windows-10-charging

QuoteYes, surprising as it might seem, Microsoft has announced it will actually charge users a monthly subscription to play Solitaire – a free staple of Windows releases since Windows 3.0 in 1990

LOL wut? 

As I predicted... they're aiming for micro-transaction nickel & diming for a lot of stuff.

mirth

Who the hell is going to pay for solitaire? I'm sure there's a gajillion free solitaire apps available. Or you could just buy a deck of cards  ::)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Wait until the critical updates cost $1.99 each.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Wait until you need to reinstall the OS in a year and have to pay for it then.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

By the way if you don't want to have Win 10 try to auto download every time you run updates for Win 7 - http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-stop-windows-10-upgrade-downloading-your-system

Nefaro

KB3035583 huh?

I've always kept my Windows updates set to manual & used to check some of the more mysterious KB's descriptions to pick & choose if I felt the need.  Most were okay, but the occasional one has reeked of spyware in recent years.  I've gotten behind on checking them, though.

I should probably disable this one, just so I don't accidentally hit the "reserve upgrade" crap.  Sounds like once you enable the Win10 option, you have to disable it in the Windows registry to get it to stop.  Damn thing is like a Terminator once it gets the green light.  :))

bbmike

Lower your firewall and surrender your hardrives. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

I was fighting with it last night because everytime I tried too download Win 7 updates, the updater was first trying to download Win 10. I started looking at the Win 7 updates and they had some boilerplate message about "resolving issues with Win 7". When I clicked the more info link, turns out that they had stuff to do with installing Win 10 - prepping the OS, etc, etc.

Win 10 is friggin Malware to me at this point.

OJsDad

I've noticed that with Edge, when I'm reply to a thread here that clicking any of the smiles or text format buttons, it never works. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Nefaro

Quote from: OJsDad on August 08, 2015, 09:11:18 AM
I've noticed that with Edge, when I'm reply to a thread here that clicking any of the smiles or text format buttons, it never works.

Must have some kind of script blocking built in.

Hopefully you can disable it for specific pages/sites, like the Firefox add-ons.

bob48

I'm getting the problem with smiles and text format buttons as well.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Best thing right now is to install Chrome and use that for the forums until the button issue is resolved.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Bison

Well I've jumped in an updated to Windows 10.  So far no issues and I've turned off some the more obvious areas of concern.   I actually like the new layout. 

bbmike

Yeah, so far I'm happy with it.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak