Blade Runner 2049

Started by mirth, December 19, 2016, 02:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 10, 2017, 12:07:11 PM
6:00 p.m.: Wheel of Fortune
6:06 p.m.: Doze off
6:07 p.m.: Tinkle
6:09 p.m.: Wake up, go to bed

If he does it in that exact order he'll need to get the TV couch spot-shampooed quite often.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Watched it this evening.  I liked it but I thought the first film was better.  The visuals and atmosphere in the first half were great but the last third of the film kind of dragged for me. 

I thought the bit with the virtual girlfriend was alright.  Certainly not as creepy as the one that's available in Japan right now.

Sir Slash

Glad it's a Happy Marriage because that guy's going to be in it by himself for a very long time.  L:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MikeGER

saw Bladerunner (original) on Monday
on the projector in the man cave to get into the mood and refresh what was Bladerunner all about in detail

saw Bladerunner 2049 yesterday eve.

GrogAdvice
your best approach to see the movie is: like if your in the internal mood for going to an vernissage of modern art with interlude sessions of modern dance theater Pina Bauch Style. or some other heavy culture stuff
Its Art, its strenuous and it takes its time.... its not a SiFi flick, its not popcorn, and the 180° opposite of let's say a Transformers or Bond movie or such refreshing lighthearted entertainment
If you know that before, it is enjoyable! Not as cheap escapism entertainment more as an (art)experience.
(think Apocalyse Now Redux  ...the last two third)

What added to my movie eve was that it was shown in an old cinema not in the multiplex and the large old art-deco theater-style room was fricking cold, which added somehow to the atmosphere
(uncomfortable without jacket and to narrow with it)

The art design of the movie is great,   ... a good transition from 2017 to 2049 in the Bladerunner universe, and you can marble at all the (disturbing, often Kafkaesque) scenes and details. 

and so capturing the dystopian feeling very well. Also it does a trick with the pace on you to get you into the dystopian unsettled mood yourself. its hart to describe: all shots are a just a tiny bit tooo long, just as if the frame freeze sometimes and you are (kind of forced) lookin at a painting, then the scene continues. its not boring, its kind of a surly intended mind trick.
Also with the fitting audio, there seems to be no film music, there are back ground noises (industrial, and drone) and often a total silence! (so quiet you could hear a pin drop - literally in the quite empty on a Tuesday cinema)

The plot is developing slow but continues and had twists too. 

Overall it was a good experience, and i am not sad for the time or the 9€ spend.
i was entertained but in a different way, felt not unwinded more like coming from a lengthy lecture instead

Nefaro

I see it being likened to a "high budget arthouse film". 

Not sure that would be quite how I put it, but good enough for one phrase.

acctingman

I'm on the fence with this one. I'll be honest, I'm not a "deep" guy. I like shit blowing up and fake ta-ta's. I might be too low brow for this artsy-fartsy stuff

mirth

Better stick with Robot Sorority Sisters from Pluto.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MikeGER

acctingman, don't worry 
you may like it, now were you don't expect a casual fast paced SiFi action firework

there is action too, suspense, shootouts, chases and even a chuckle-moment here and there too.
the artifical-holoprojection girlfriend of the protagonist is hot and also the female killer, who is always about to get him, has something... i dig her more then the silly puppet, (i like cold and dangerous women ;) ) 
the Bladerunner world is plausible and immersive.

but it is slow paced, scenes often even very slow compared to contemporary standards of only split-seconds long scenes edited together, inspired by MTV music video clip art.

i didn't felt the 2h 44 minutes , was never bored, but at the end exhausted not refreshed, more thoughtful then unwinded.

Sir Slash

I really hope this movie's great. That would make this the best year for Hollywood in a long time with most of the movies I've seen this summer being very good. Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Spider-Man Homecoming, Dunkirk, It, and this one. Are they allowed to make 5 good films in one year?  :wow:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 11, 2017, 10:29:54 AM
Are they allowed to make 5 good films in one year?  :wow:

I think the rule is you get as many good films as hurricanes that make landfall in the US.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

This should be a great year, then.

Sir Slash