Learning to Fence

Started by besilarius, October 23, 2017, 06:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Con

This is very true

I fenced at Olympic level in the 90s when I was at the German club in Bayer and at university in the UK and I have a couple of under 16 and under 21 UK championships under my belt and this scene we tried to reproduce and couldn't do it as flawlessly and effortlessly as they do.

Con

bob48

That is very impressive, Con. :bd:
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

One time, I peed on an electric fence. It was a shocking experience.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

I bet that made your eye's light up.

'Clip those corners'

mirth

I definitely got a charge out of it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bob48

Did it bring the colour back to your cheeks?

'Clip those corners'

mirth

JasonPratt

Quote from: bob48 on October 23, 2017, 01:54:28 PM
That is very impressive, Con. :bd:

Ditto! -- I taught fencing off and on for fifteen years, but was never good enough to earn a C rating. (Not that that's easy to do, for those who don't know. My best friend from high school started learning to fence several years ago and told me how amazed he was that there really were people in the world who could flick flies out of the air with epees, the heaviest, thickest blades. I guessed, based on where he was learning, those were the B class fencers. I was right. A class fencers are exponentially better than that. The second fastest object in the Olympics, after the bullets used in the shooting competitions, are the foil tips.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

I do, 'chain-length' fencing. It's much prettier and nobody's trying stick you with a sword while you're putting it up.  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bob48

...putting what up where?

No. On second thoughts, I'd rather not know.

'Clip those corners'

Sir Slash

It can be put-up anywhere it will fit. Though it's not always comfortable.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.