Helldivers II Announced!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 26, 2023, 12:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uberhaus

My son who's playing it says it's a mix of the Starship Troopers movie and Halo 3:ODST.  He says the humour is definitely the cynicism towards militarism of Verhoeven's film.

al_infierno

Quote from: Uberhaus on February 22, 2024, 01:58:42 PMMy son who's playing it says it's a mix of the Starship Troopers movie and Halo 3:ODST.  He says the humour is definitely the cynicism towards militarism of Verhoeven's film.

Verhoeven's film is not militaristic, it's quite the opposite.  Verhoeven himself has explained how heavily he was channeling Nazi propaganda both for the costumes and the direction of the film itself as an idictment of the Terran Federation.

That said, Helldivers is much more explicit about its cynicism. More text than subtext.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Uberhaus

Quote from: Uberhaus on February 22, 2024, 01:58:42 PMHe says the humour is definitely the cynicism towards militarism of Verhoeven's film.

al_infierno

Quote from: Uberhaus on February 22, 2024, 03:39:41 PM
Quote from: Uberhaus on February 22, 2024, 01:58:42 PMHe says the humour is definitely the cynicism towards militarism of Verhoeven's film.

Oh sorry, I totally misread that!  Yes you're right.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

em2nought

Each time I see "Helldivers" I keep expecting to see a late war Pacific flight sim.  :planepilot:
Stolen elections have consequences.

Dammit Carl!

Took me a bit, but the fact that the drop-pods are essentially bullets being fired at the planet is just the icing on the cake in terms of the Helldivers theme (i.e. "freedom via the ammo box.").  Those fellows who made that game really knocked it out of the park, I'd say.

Gusington

Single player guide from PC Gamer, which of course now has me thinking about picking it up  :grumpy:

https://www.pcgamer.com/helldivers-2-solo-play-tips/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Gusington on February 24, 2024, 05:59:23 PMSingle player guide from PC Gamer, which of course now has me thinking about picking it up  :grumpy:

The game is definitely playable single player, especially if you stick to easier missions, and DOUBLE especially if you stick to bug maps.  The robots are hard as hell, but still beatable.  The most important thing to remember is to just keep moving and use rocks and crates and stuff to create obstacles between you and the baddies.

It does seem like it can take a while to unlock the better weapons mentioned in that guide, though.

- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on February 24, 2024, 09:50:06 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 24, 2024, 05:59:23 PMSingle player guide from PC Gamer, which of course now has me thinking about picking it up  :grumpy:

The game is definitely playable single player, especially if you stick to easier missions, and DOUBLE especially if you stick to bug maps.  The robots are hard as hell, but still beatable.  The most important thing to remember is to just keep moving and use rocks and crates and stuff to create obstacles between you and the baddies.

It does seem like it can take a while to unlock the better weapons mentioned in that guide, though.

If I find myself solo, I use sentries a lot to cover my back while doing something that takes my attention. I usually deploy with two sentries. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 24, 2024, 10:13:57 PM

If I find myself solo, I use sentries a lot to cover my back while doing something that takes my attention. I usually deploy with two sentries.

Yeah, gotta be careful with those sentries though.  I've cut myself down on my own sentry on more than one occasion, including once RIGHT as I was getting on the shuttle to leave.   :buck2:

I almost always go through at least several casualties per mission, which at least feels thematically appropriate.

- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on February 24, 2024, 10:16:04 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 24, 2024, 10:13:57 PM

Yeah, gotta be careful with those sentries though.  I've cut myself down on my own sentry on more than one occasion, including once RIGHT as I was getting on the shuttle to leave.   :buck2:

I almost always go through at least several casualties per mission, which at least feels thematically appropriate.

Yes. You need to strategically deploy them. So, if I'm attacking a bug outpost on my own, I will usually deploy a sentry off to one side so it can shoot at emerging bugs, while still giving me safe access to approach the holes and lob grenades in.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

What percentage of your time with the game do you all play solo?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Gusington on February 24, 2024, 11:16:02 PMWhat percentage of your time with the game do you all play solo?

Me?  100%.  I haven't gotten the chance to play with friends yet, and I just straight up refuse to play with randoms.  I've had a really good time solo, but it was a bit of an uphill battle to begin with.

- MengJiao

jamus34

Finally picked this up. Played with some friends yesterday and got destroyed. Then the game pretty much crashed on all of us.

The 40 min or so we were in it were fun as hell though.
Insert witty comment here.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jamus34 on March 04, 2024, 10:42:36 AMFinally picked this up. Played with some friends yesterday and got destroyed. Then the game pretty much crashed on all of us.

The 40 min or so we were in it were fun as hell though.

I've played over 30 hours and have not had a single crash, so that's odd and hopefully rare.

The game is epic. It is all I can play at the moment. I'm a level 14 Sergeant and have killing Terminids down into an industrial science. Murdering them is glorious.

For solo players, I will say that as you advance and get access to better tech, completing missions on your own does get easier and more plausible. By using sentry turrets, drones and orbital bombardment or close air support, completing most objectives solo is manageable. I'll even say it is sometimes preferable as my biggest pet peeve has become players who request EVAC as soon as the primary objective is completed. I prefer sticking around to farm secondary objectives for XP and credits.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog