Star Wars dark forces remastered-Feb 28

Started by Grim.Reaper, February 15, 2024, 05:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

This one sneaked up on me, looks like remaster coming out in 28th.  Don't think I had a chance to play the original, so likely will pick up especially with controller support and ability to play on modern resolutions.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2292260/STAR_WARS_Dark_Forces_Remaster/

CaptainKoloth

For the community's awareness there is also a great open source remake of Dark Forces already (DarkXL), and half the time (or more) these community projects end up outshining official remasters anyway. Hopefully this one is good.

Destraex

Very cool. Snuck up on me so much I did not see it coming. We are lucky to have remasters. I remember the music in dark forces being especially cool, adjusting itself to the levels of danger.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Grim.Reaper

Releases tomorrow, rumors suggest a $30 price tag.  Below is a nice video to see what you will be getting.  Since I really never played the first one, I'll likely pick it up but not keeping my expectations in check.

Gusington

Yeah I never played the original either so I will definitely get it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

It was great in its day. I do not think it will hold up well by today's standards though. Easy pass for me for now.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

kind of amazing what an imagination can fill in.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

al_infierno

Seems fairly unessential compared to the System Shock 1 remake, imo.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Destraex

Yeah. I know people who will get it to relive the campaigns. I think it is being sold as a pack with SW Battlegrounds 1 & 2. The peeps I know mainly want the latter. I have really good memories of Dark Forces. The sounds were amazing and it really got the blood pumping. But without modern features I don't think I could do the campaign I already know again. Plus star wars is all but ruined for me now by disney.

Give me more BOLT GUN. :) I think space marine 2 is too high profile to do it proper like.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on February 28, 2024, 04:19:26 AMYeah. I know people who will get it to relive the campaigns. I think it is being sold as a pack with SW Battlegrounds 1 & 2. The peeps I know mainly want the latter. I have really good memories of Dark Forces. The sounds were amazing and it really got the blood pumping. But without modern features I don't think I could do the campaign I already know again. Plus star wars is all but ruined for me now by disney.

Give me more BOLT GUN. :) I think space marine 2 is too high profile to do it proper like.

I haven't read anywhere that Dark Forces Remastered being bundled with the Battlefront Classic games.  There is a release of the classic versions of Battlefront 1 & 2 coming on March 14th.  Guess it's possible at that time maybe they will create some sort of bundles, but don't think that is happening on release of Dark Forces.  Although for the Battlefront Classic collection, they already have packages you can buy and not listed (prior owners do get a discount).

If I had played the original Dark Forces (own it, never played), probably wouldn't buy the remaster myself but since I didn't, personally think the fact the graphics are better for modern computers (certainly still not great) and they included controller support, I think I will get some fun out of it.  Plus, believe they did add a previously unreleased level.  Certainly maintaining my expectations.

Gusington

Same with me. It will be totally new for me, no matter what.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Redwolf

I played the original to a certain degree, but not very far. Color me interested.

Grim.Reaper

Released now, $29.99 as expected.  Later today will buy and install.

Father Ted

I never played this, but I always remember it because it made my young son cry when he bought it - he was so disappointed that he'd spent his pocket money on such a clunky-looking game.  This was about 15 years ago, so I'm obviously not talking about this re-mastered version

Destraex

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 28, 2024, 05:05:01 AM
Quote from: Destraex on February 28, 2024, 04:19:26 AMYeah. I know people who will get it to relive the campaigns. I think it is being sold as a pack with SW Battlegrounds 1 & 2. The peeps I know mainly want the latter. I have really good memories of Dark Forces. The sounds were amazing and it really got the blood pumping. But without modern features I don't think I could do the campaign I already know again. Plus star wars is all but ruined for me now by disney.

I haven't read anywhere that Dark Forces Remastered being bundled with the Battlefront Classic games.  There is a release of the classic versions of Battlefront 1 & 2 coming on March 14th.  Guess it's possible at that time maybe they will create some sort of bundles, but don't think that is happening on release of Dark Forces.  Although for the Battlefront Classic collection, they already have packages you can buy and not listed (prior owners do get a discount).

If I had played the original Dark Forces (own it, never played), probably wouldn't buy the remaster myself but since I didn't, personally think the fact the graphics are better for modern computers (certainly still not great) and they included controller support, I think I will get some fun out of it.  Plus, believe they did add a previously unreleased level.  Certainly maintaining my expectations.

Happy enough to trust you on that as my source was simply word of mouth from somebody less reliable.