Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance...believe it or not...

Started by Jarhead0331, January 10, 2014, 09:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

...is actually quite good!

Now wait a second, before you hit the back button to browse the forum for a discussion on a "real" game, hear me out. This game is actually a crap load of fun so far.

Yes, the story is classic Metal Gear. In other words, it makes very little sense. The gist, however, isn't totally off the wall.  Basically, your character (Raiden) is some kind of a cyborg mercenary, or Private Military Contractor, who is working for a President of a stabilized African nation.  Your protection services have helped this president bring stability to his country and all of Africa. Unfortunately, there is a group of other cyborg mercenaries who see the stability as bad for business, so they basically ambush the president, kill him and seriously F*$% you up in the process.  You don't throw in the towel though. Instead, you take the next 3 weeks to transform yourself into a badder meaner cyborg mercenary and head out on a quest to tear-a$$ around the world in search of the animals who killed your employer and sliced you up.

Got it? Good.

Normally, I'm not a fan of hack-n-slashers. They seem to be exciting at first sometimes, but always get old very quick.  Also, I really do not care for boss fights that require some kind of gimmick to successfully win and move on in the story. So far, however, MGR:R has been a lot of fun. The combat is surprisingly complex and does not just feel like button smashing. It doesn't hurt that your character is a customizable samurai/ninja cyborg bada$$ and the combos look really cool.  The boss fights have thus far been manageable, although they do break up the flow of action from each battle site and I do find myself just wanting to fight low level cyborgs to pull off more cool combos.  There is this really awesome blade control mode where you can slice with your blade at precision angles pretty much anything in the environment (including enemies). Lots of body pieces go flying about.

Anyway, there was a pre-order sale, but the price is back up to 29.99. I know it won't be most people's cup of tea around here, but I just wouldn't write this one off if you have any interest in these kinds of games.  Most importantly, for a console port, this one is particularly high quality. The graphics are very good, it supports higher resolutions, as well as keyboard and mouse control, if you want it. Technically, I have not noticed any bugs yet either, and in this regard, it blows Dark Souls out of the water.   
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LongBlade

I've heard good things about Metal Gear before but never played any of them.

Thanks, JH.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: LongBlade on January 10, 2014, 10:28:22 AM
I've heard good things about Metal Gear before but never played any of them.

Thanks, JH.

This one is very different from the other games in the series. The other titles are not hack-n-slash style games.  They are more stealth/combat RPG action games that mix up first-person and third-person perspectives. 

The last one, I played Metal Gear solid 4, although extremely convoluted in story telling, was actually a superb game loaded with content. Had it on the PS3. Highly recommend and eagerly awaiting MGS 5 on PS4!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

son_of_montfort

I actually love the console-style action games far more than I thought I would (AssCred IV, Tomb Raider, and Saint's Row being good examples of some of my favorite recent games). So this one looks promising. I must say, I am looking forward to the new Metal Gear entry on the PS4, as it is supposed to be similar to others, but more open-world.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Gusington

Is there a wide variety of weapons and tools to use in this one? That's what attracted me to the first Metal Gear title 25 years ago.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

This game is just Metal Gear themed.  But gameplay is similar to Devil May Cry (if you are familiar with that title).

Sadly, though I like this game,  I am stuck with a boss that I cannot beat despite the fact that I already know what to do based on the walk through.  And it is Easy level. :(

Why is this in the PC section?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on January 10, 2014, 06:11:45 PM

Why is this in the PC section?

Did you read my post? The game was released on PC yesterday and I was describing my experience with the port from console.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog