Main Menu

WTF Steam Guard???

Started by W.S. Hancock, January 15, 2014, 11:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.S. Hancock

Having a real problem with Steam Guard, wondered if anyone else had encountered this before.

I was out of town for 2 weeks over Christmas, and of course shut off my desktop while gone.  When I got back home and fired it up, I went to log into Steam and access my account.  After entering my login and password, I got a popup from Steam Guard, saying that I was trying to log on to a new machine where I had not been on before (not the case).  I was prompted to click a box to get an email sent to the email address associated with my account, so I could enter a verification code and log in.

Although I then hit the button to request that email being sent any number of times, I have never received one.  My email has not changed, it has been the same for over 15 years.  The email is not in my spam filter, nor is it blocked.  Just simply never came.

So 4 days ago I opened a ticket with Steam 'Customer Service' about this problem.  Still have not heard anything back from them, even though they say right on the support website that 'issues dealing with account access are their top overall priority'.  Now I am stuck with no support, and no ability to log in and access the dozens of games that I have purchased and 'own' on Steam.

Anyone here have any experience with their customer support, and how long it takes them to respond?

Anybody ever have a similar problem?   I just don't understand how Steam thinks I am on a 'new computer' when it is the same device I have been using without problems since September.

Thanks.

Gusington

I had a similar problem logging in to Steam using a new wireless devce, but I actually received the update email.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Shelldrake

I also had a problem receiving emails from Steam using my home email address (Bell Aliant server) so switched to using my work email address. Now emails come through.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

smittyohio

Did you check your spam folder?   It's possible they ended up in there.

Ubercat

Quote from: smittyohio on January 15, 2014, 12:28:28 PM
Did you check your spam folder?   It's possible they ended up in there.

The OP stated that it wasn't there.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

W.S. Hancock

Yes, it is not in my spam folder.

I have also received emails at the address I am using indicating that they have received my customer support request and ticket number, so they are able to send to that address.

Really don't know what more to do, as 4 days and counting is unreasonably slow for customer support requests to go unanswered.

LongBlade

Quote from: W.S. Hancock on January 15, 2014, 01:41:38 PM
Really don't know what more to do, as 4 days and counting is unreasonably slow for customer support requests to go unanswered.

Yes it is.

And once Steam support starts responding you'll find they'll quickly move to close a ticket if you don't get back to them quickly. It's easy enough to reopen, but IIRC they don't waste much time trying to close tickets and move on. 12 hours? 24? I can't remember, but you'll find you'll wait and wait and wait for them to respond but they don't give you that same courtesy.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

DoctorQuest

There are reasons I don't use Steam. I can find plenty of good games elsewhere.

Good luck.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Staggerwing

I have Steam text the codes to my phone when I get those 'new computer' thingies. Easier than email and next best thing to instantaneous.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Deadskin

I had to do the email sending twice at one point because it never went through the first time. IIRC you can try logging in again and you will get the same prompts.

Nefaro

I disabled Steam Guard as soon as they started trying to force us to use it.

I absolutely f***ing despise these extra layers of "security".  It's due to some idiots using ridiculously easy passwords to crack, and these internet-based companies' unhappiness with the amount of customer service they have to spend fixing the problem when aforementioned mo-rons get hacked.  So it's a combination of dumbassery and stinginess.  And we are the ones dealing with the results. 

I dunno how many times I've logged into SWTOR or some other site/game and got the "you're logging in from a different computer.. please check your email and type in the super secret fookeeng passcode we just mailed you before you can play!".  >:(   I currently have 3 computers with much of this stuff on it, so stop @$^&ing jacking with me, arseholes!!

What's worse is that some of these, such as Steam's client, is regularly buggy as shit and their CS blows horse c*%ks.   I even got locked out of one of my webmail accounts for two days because I refused to give them my cell phone number.  Not because they were mad but because it was obviously some bug.

Edit:  As punishment, Steam doesn't let me trade/sell any of the 'collectible card' crap they give me.  Pfff!  ::)

Nefaro

Quote from: LongBlade on January 15, 2014, 02:01:52 PM
Quote from: W.S. Hancock on January 15, 2014, 01:41:38 PM

Yes it is.

And once Steam support starts responding you'll find they'll quickly move to close a ticket if you don't get back to them quickly. It's easy enough to reopen, but IIRC they don't waste much time trying to close tickets and move on. 12 hours? 24? I can't remember, but you'll find you'll wait and wait and wait for them to respond but they don't give you that same courtesy.

I'd consider him lucky if he received anything other than an automated response the first one or two times before they just plain ignore him or close it ASAP.

W.S. Hancock

Well, finally got a reply back from Steam at about 1 AM, caught it in time this morning, finally got the situation resolved a few minutes ago at 430 pm

Thanks for all who had suggestions.

I agree with those who don't care for Steam or Steam Guard, I generally try to use other options, but more and more of the game manufacturers are incorporating the need for the Steam platform in order for their games to run, an unhelpful development IMHO.

How does one go about disabling Steam Guard?

Grim.Reaper

Go into Steam...

Steam->Settings->Account

Choose option for Manage Steam Guard Account Security

Choose option to disable.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys