Sid's Covert Action on GOG!!!!

Started by Jarhead0331, January 16, 2014, 10:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Rayfer on January 16, 2014, 04:28:33 PM
Don't know this game, never played it so I'm not being critical of it.  But I've been sorely disappointed way too often by these old, classic dos games that others rave about, i.e. Wasteland 1, Darklands, Ultima 1-6. Hey, to each his own, but they just aren't my proverbial cup of tea.

I feel the same way sometimes, but its not because the games were not excellent in their day. Sometimes they just do not withstand the test of time, and from a technical perspective, they are just too archaic to be enjoyable to our modern gaming sensibilities.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Greybriar

Quote from: Rayfer on January 16, 2014, 04:28:33 PM
Don't know this game, never played it so I'm not being critical of it.  But I've been sorely disappointed way too often by these old, classic dos games that others rave about, i.e. Wasteland 1, Darklands, Ultima 1-6. Hey, to each his own, but they just aren't my proverbial cup of tea.

I play old games that I enjoyed 20+ years ago. Sometimes they age well and sometimes they don't. Perhaps watching a video of the game being played will help someone decide whether to attempt to play such a vintage game.

I hope that helps someone out.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Rayfer

Nice touch Greybriar....I find these 'let's play' videos very helpful purchase decision tools with modern, new release games, more so than game trailers. To have them available for these old games is equally as helpful.

Gusington

With this game on GoG it makes me wonder if Airborne Ranger could also be re released.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

God, I hope not. I barely made it out of the 80's once. Don't know if I go back and do it again.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

These MicroProse games are near and dear to me as I spent so, so many hours playing them in the late 80s/early 90s, before I had any kind of social life and tons of time on my hands (i.e., before marriage in 1993).

I remember going to class in college in the morning, then going to work at the Waldenbooks, then being eager as hell to get home to knock out another few hours on Covert Action, Sword of the Samurai, one of the gold box D&D titles, or the Buck Rogers versions of the D&D titles. Good times (allllll byyyy myyyy-seeh-eeh-eellllffff.... lol).

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on January 17, 2014, 08:51:09 AM
With this game on GoG it makes me wonder if Airborne Ranger could also be re released.

I'd be much more excited about SEAL Team. It was really the first squad-based tactical shooter and it was a great one at that.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

BanzaiCat

That's funny, I was just thinking about SEAL team, trying to remember if it was indeed called that. Good ol' polygonal graphics.

Gusington

Airborne Ranger is near and dear to me. As is Gunship! And F 19 Stealth Fighter. And M1 Tank Platoon. And Conflict in Vietnam. I really really miss MicroProse. I can still remember how my local game shop smelled circa 1987, and saving up for a month to buy a 30.00 game. Ah memories.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

I managed to save my Strike Eagle II disks and got it installed under DoxBox. It's is the perfect sim for a keyboard only config like my laptop when travelling. PEW! PEW! PEW!

I also kept my f-117 Stealth Fighter disks. Also a good DosBox sim.

I have tried getting GS2000 working on DoxBox but the graphics are a little heavy for DB. Dang.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Sir Slash

I've still got my old games too. I'm waiting on the Amiga to come back.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Covert Action was an absolutely awesome game that I spent a ton of time with back in the day.  Other than Civilization 2 - this was my favorite that Sid designed.

I'm not sure how well it would work with modern systems.  Some of the mini-games were turn based, and others were pausable real-time.  Real-time elements sometimes do not translate well via dos-box.

I'll probably buy it.  Maybe even write a review.

BanzaiCat

It works fine on my system, although my system's a little long in the tooth (Vista 64 bit). I think the specs say it'll run on Win 7 also, but I don't recall what the site said. So, there's no timing issues such as timed mini-games running too fast. That would be the wiretapping mini-game, which I hated about this game. I haven't tried the driving part of it yet, but I recall that being very simple and straightforward.