The confusing Android tablet landscape

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, October 12, 2014, 06:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centurion40

The Mrs. is thinking of getting a tablet.  I'm steering her towards a Samsung. I have an iPad Mini, but I am cheesed-off with it because of limited memory.  I've been told that Samsung's have USB ports.

She would use it for surfing the web.  Does this sound like a plan?

I used to know all about tech, then I became middle-aged....  >:(
Any time is a good time for pie.

bayonetbrant

Middle?!

you sailed past "middle" a while ago, buddy ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Centurion40

What???!!  I plan on living until I'm 102!!  :coolsmiley:

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Mr. Bigglesworth

You have to keep in mind that this sector is very young in the product life cycle curve. Whatever you get you can expect to throw out in 2 years. That is true if it is a high end model or a basic one. IMO, as long as the OS is current, it is best to get a basic one. The other option is if you feel a high end screen is really important. In that case the kindle hdx 8.whatever new screen is the best bargain going. Beware you are locked into their OS so you can only get apps on their store.

The screen is better than an apple retina laptop at $2k for $399. That is a wow if you need the screen. 2560x1600 at full adobeRGB color.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Centurion40

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on November 06, 2014, 04:51:59 PM
You have to keep in mind that this sector is very young in the product life cycle curve. Whatever you get you can expect to throw out in 2 years. That is true if it is a high end model or a basic one. IMO, as long as the OS is current, it is best to get a basic one. The other option is if you feel a high end screen is really important. In that case the kindle hdx 8.whatever new screen is the best bargain going. Beware you are locked into their OS so you can only get apps on their store.

The screen is better than an apple retina laptop at $2k for $399. That is a wow if you need the screen. 2560x1600 at full adobeRGB color.

We have middle-aged eyes, so I'm not sure that screen resolution is full detectable!  However, a larger screen is a definite plus!  Right now, I'm thinking a Samsung with the ability to increase memory with SD cards.  I currently have an iPad Mini (2 years old) & I can't upgrade to the latest OS as it is out of memory!!  I also find the small screen challenging, at times.  ::)

Mr. Bigglesworth

I'm about to retire my old android 2.x smartphone for a basic phone. I prefer not having data on a phone. It's bizarre reading the app disclaimers on the new tablet. they can access all data on the sd card. they can erase your sd card. they can make calls that cost you money. etc. Only a twit is going to pay for a device with that capability. I deleted or disabled the apps I could. Basically I want a book reader and a jukebox. Computing is done on a real PC.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598