UpFront

Started by TacticalWargames, May 08, 2015, 05:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacticalWargames

Just purchased the WargameVault reprint. Never played it before and it being so well thought of and being a tactical wargame nut I knew I had to get it. Trouble is I have no one to play against..so have been checking out the Solo rules on BGG.

Anyone have the game? What are your thoughts on it?

Grimnirsson

Up Front is one of my all time favorite wargames, perfect playability, tense situations, great simulation of skirmish level combat (not tactical...).

There's a Vassal mod out there which is pretty nice so that may be something to check out for ya.

Happy gaming!
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

bayonetbrant

folks chatting about it here http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=13423.0
and here
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=3659.0

Among the crowd here, Barthheart, Cyrano, and GJK are big players.  IIRC, either Nefaro or Arctic Blast were pretty into it, too
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Cyrano

Some of the obscene after-market cost of the game -- and the truly sad business of the KS -- can be attributed to myth and hype, but not all of it.  It's one of the best thought-out, most re-playable, and (if it's the sort of thing you're into), one of the most fun card game you'll ever play.

Funny story, I got my first copy at the GenCon auction 100 years ago because I thought -- I can't quite say why I thought this, but I did -- it was a second copy of Squad Leader on offer.  I was furious with myself (after all, it cost something like $10 college-student money), but, after trying it out with some pals, honestly never played Squad Leader again.

I still wish somebody -- GMT -- would sneak into Hasbro and steal the engraving plates, but I'm glad the game is at least available.

Enjoy!!

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Nefaro

I had eyed getting a copy of Up Front awhile back but still haven't got one.

If I were to do so, I'd still probably order the custom cards from the card printing company GJK (and others?) kindly linked.  They look so much better than the original ones, so I'd be willing to splurge a bit extra for the quality. 

My hang-up is that I have no wargamer buddies nearby to play with so I tend to spend more on co-op & solitaire friendly stuff.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Cyrano on May 08, 2015, 08:35:24 AM

I still wish somebody -- GMT -- would sneak into Hasbro and steal the engraving plates, but I'm glad the game is at least available.

I've often wondered why somebody just doesn't do an UpFront "inspired" game, changed just enough to keep the lawyers out of it....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

TacticalWargames

Those good looking cards I think have been taken down due to copyright issues..

Quote from: Nefaro on May 08, 2015, 03:28:14 PM
I had eyed getting a copy of Up Front awhile back but still haven't got one.

If I were to do so, I'd still probably order the custom cards from the card printing company GJK (and others?) kindly linked.  They look so much better than the original ones, so I'd be willing to splurge a bit extra for the quality. 

My hang-up is that I have no wargamer buddies nearby to play with so I tend to spend more on co-op & solitaire friendly stuff.

Rekim

There are plenty of reasons why UF is one of my all time favorites boardgames. The fact that it is the ONLY wargame in my collection which can be played, to completion, in 90 minutes or less (including setup) is certainly one.

I'm up for some UpFront play via vassal if anyone is interested. Any experience level. I'm working this weekend, but next week I should be available most evenings (EDT)

Arctic Blast

I'm interested in trying it at some point...hopefully...

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: TacticalWargames on May 08, 2015, 08:11:55 PM

The Wargame Vault version is not legal as they did not obtain permission for Rodger MacGowan for use of his artwork. MacGowan has publicly stated that the original arrangement with Avalon Hill was for a one-time use of his artwork, and that he still has the signed contracts stating such.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/53048888874/permalink/10153302844523875/?comment_id=10153303471628875

Good for Rodger.

DennisS

Another game I played a LOT. Saving a wire card for when you opponent decides to cross a stream is just ... brutal!

GJK

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on May 10, 2015, 09:31:00 AM

The Wargame Vault version is not legal as they did not obtain permission for Rodger MacGowan for use of his artwork. MacGowan has publicly stated that the original arrangement with Avalon Hill was for a one-time use of his artwork, and that he still has the signed contracts stating such.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/53048888874/permalink/10153302844523875/?comment_id=10153303471628875

Good for Rodger.

My assumption is that they reached some sort of agreement with Rodger because shortly after he raised the issue, they removed the reprint from their site but it is now back up.  Pure speculation however.  Hopefully he is getting some fair compenstation.  I brought up the question about Courtney Allen and Charlie Kibler as well and I suppose all of that goes back to exactly who signed away what when Hasbro took over the AH product catalog.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Cyrano

Game's just cursed is what it is.

So very well respected by so many yet it gets dragged through the KS nonsense, somebody in IP at Hasbro is having a sandwich when this re-issue is bruted, and, as was observed on BGG, this is exactly how re-issues don't occur.

Sad, really...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Barthheart

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on May 10, 2015, 09:31:00 AM

Good for Rodger.

That's not the copy he was talking about. There is a fan made version on ArtsCow. It's still there but is hard to find on the site now.

PanzersEast

I have never played it so I purchased the re-print of the original... the complete game bundle  O0

PE